E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > USB/AUX input inaccessible.

02-08-2011, 03:37 PM   #1
radeohedca
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 320i

USB/AUX input inaccessible.

My my iPhone (with appropriate cable) and USB thumbdrive with MP3's stopped working when plugged into the USB/AUX port in the centre console. I went to try it on the weekend only to discover that the "AUX" selection in the Nav computer (AM / FM / CD / AUX) is greyed out and of course nothing happens when I try to select it.
Is there a master menu for this that I may have inadvertently disabled ? A fuse ?

I don't have Sat radio and I can't bear to listen to local radio stations... Please help !

BTW, it's a 2007 328i.

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2011, 03:40 PM   #2
Hey Ant
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

That usually happens to me in my 328i, it's because the ipod connector doesn't fully connect to the iphone and it's loose. During bumpy drives, it will eventually come right off, however, on a regular ipod (touch, nano, classic, etc), it will snap into place and secure it self without coming loose.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2011, 04:43 PM   #3
Kimo
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E31 E90 F25 MCS

Quote:
Originally Posted by radeohedca View Post
My my iPhone (with appropriate cable) and USB thumbdrive with MP3's stopped working when plugged into the USB/AUX port in the centre console. I went to try it on the weekend only to discover that the "AUX" selection in the Nav computer (AM / FM / CD / AUX) is greyed out and of course nothing happens when I try to select it.
Is there a master menu for this that I may have inadvertently disabled ? A fuse ?

I don't have Sat radio and I can't bear to listen to local radio stations... Please help !

BTW, it's a 2007 328i.

Thanks.
Although you don't specify, I'm assuming that this is happening only when your iPhone is being powered by 12v DC from the car, i.e. cig lighter adapter -- and that if you are running off of the device's batteries, the AUX works fine, right?

I had this problem in my E46 and found that the head unit uses a resistor to detect if the aux port is being used, and when the output device is using 12v DC from the car, the cable can -- in some cases -- ground and cause the resistor to think that the aux lead is not plugged in. It has been a long time, but I recall installing a Radio Shack ground loop isolator (the one with RCA jacks) between the aux cable and the head unit (basically a capacitor) and it solved my problem. This is kind of a pain in the a$$, so an easier workaround is to just use battery power.
      02-08-2011, 05:27 PM   #4
radeohedca
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

It's not a case of the cable/connection being loose. I've plugged both the iPhone cable and the thumbdrive into the connector... seating well but neither device is recognized.

It doesn't matter whether the iPhone is running off 12v power from the cig lighter plug or while running off its own battery... no worky !
I usually just use internal battery power on my iPhone when it was working in the AUX port. Not to mention, the thumbdrive is powered by the AUX port (USB) itself but it too is not being recognized.
Is said resistor supposed to be in or near the USB connector in the armrest compartment ?

Thanks, Hugh.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2011, 07:55 PM   #5
Kimo
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E31 E90 F25 MCS

Quote:
Originally Posted by radeohedca View Post
It's not a case of the cable/connection being loose. I've plugged both the iPhone cable and the thumbdrive into the connector... seating well but neither device is recognized.

It doesn't matter whether the iPhone is running off 12v power from the cig lighter plug or while running off its own battery... no worky !
I usually just use internal battery power on my iPhone when it was working in the AUX port. Not to mention, the thumbdrive is powered by the AUX port (USB) itself but it too is not being recognized.
Is said resistor supposed to be in or near the USB connector in the armrest compartment ?

Thanks, Hugh.
Hmmm . . . that sounds like a different problem than I was having. Sorry.
      02-29-2012, 06:16 AM   #6
radeohedca
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

RESOLVED

FWIW:

I added a Bluetooth adapter and acquired a "Y" adapter cable to make the installation "plug and play" (little to no wiring required). I subsequently discovered that an optical cable on the original connector had to be moved over to one of the new connectors that plugged back into the radio.

It didn't occur to me until some months later that the loss of AUX happened right when I did the Bluetooth mod because I hadn't attempted to use the AUX for quite a while.

The adapter cable did not come with any instructions indicating the need to move the optical cable... I found this out later when I contacted the place in the UK where I got the Y cable from.

Hope this helps.
Appreciate 0