E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Too all those that complain about drone

02-19-2011, 11:49 PM   #1
Clap135
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2009 N54

Too all those that complain about drone

Have you ever noticed that your car with xx exhaust drones worse on some days rather than others? Well since I got the ap i just pick a parameter to simply watch as i drive to anywhere. Today I noticed something odd and those who drive in colder climates can relate to this.

My wgdc are usually in the 40s-50s at idle and just cruising around, to build part throttle boost they go down into the 20-30s. Well its about 20 degrees outside today an my exhaust note was constantly changing so i started staring at the WGDC to see what it was doing.

My wgdc goes from 4x to 0 when just cruising, it randomly alternates at times. One reason for this is probably because the car tries to warm up the cats, and being that I don't have any, they dont warm up lol. So flashed user, nothign you can do about this. Procede users, if you mess with the WG rattle setting and get it close to 90, it will most likly go away, jb users, no clue how the new jb4 works in regards to controlling the wastegates. So if you have consant drone, and not only when its super cold outside, mess with your wastegate position to quiet the car down. The more closed the wg, the quieter the car will be. Closed meaning higher wgdc.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2011, 12:04 AM   #2
tofu-
Banned
Rep
Drives: 335i Jet Black/Coral Red

yeah, i wish the jb4 had an option like this. i read shiv's post about people using the wastegate parameters to tune their exhaust note with minimal detrimental effects
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2011, 12:05 AM   #3
Clap135
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu- View Post
yeah, i wish the jb4 had an option like this. i read shiv's post about people using the wastegate parameters to tune their exhaust note with minimal detrimental effects
Didn't know shiv already explained this, oh well. Maybe other didn't know either.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2011, 12:06 AM   #4
tofu-
Banned
Rep
Drives: 335i Jet Black/Coral Red

it was buried in some long thread somewhere
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2011, 12:12 AM   #5
Clap135
Brigadier General
Rep

Well I know how to fix it on the procede cause when I was testing some v5 stuff for shiv, he sent me a map that was configured for his wastegates which rattle really bad. My car was beyond belief stupid loud, so I called him and asked him wtf he changed or if i should get underneath the car and start looking for cracks or leaks lol. I never ran the WG rattle settings cause mine dont really rattle, switched to back to 90 and the car was silent again, well silent compared to what it was at the 30 setting
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2011, 08:21 AM   #6
vasillalov
Mad Linux Guru On The Loose
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i Sedan, 2023 M3

Garage List
2023 BMW M3  [0.00]
2008 335i E90  [8.00]
I don't know about that... I am fully catless and I run GIAC Stage 1. While, I've not logged the WGDC, the exhaust note does not change randomly when it is cold as you are describing it. It is a bit louder than normal when the engine is started cold in say -10F weather, but quickly quiets down in less than 1 minute of idling. :
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2011, 09:22 AM   #7
InCityPhoto
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07' 335I

Wouldn't it be easier to buy an exhaust that you actually like the sound?
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2011, 10:00 AM   #8
techlogik
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i Dravit Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by InCityPhoto View Post
Wouldn't it be easier to buy an exhaust that you actually like the sound?
I think you are missing the point of the thread. Pretty much every exhaust, don't know of one yet, drones.

What he is saying is the wastegate setting might help with tuning the drone out due to the lack of Cats on a full exhaust setup etc....
      02-20-2011, 11:26 AM   #9
cstmx_ryder
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: A metal box with a roundel

I thought shiv told us to LOWER the wgdc if we hear rattling?

So now higher the wgdc number, the quieter the WG gets? And not the other way around like I thought?

TIA

P.S. Mine rattles like chit now.....gonna turn UP the WGDC to see if that helps.....lol

'08 AW E90 335i
PROcede V5 | BMS DCI | RR DPs | ETS FMIC | FORGE DVs | Stett CP | Vanguard | PSS10
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2011, 11:57 AM   #10
Clap135
Brigadier General
Rep

low number, less rattle, higher number less ehxuast note noises
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2011, 11:58 AM   #11
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

Rattle and drone are 2 different things being discussed.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2011, 01:45 PM   #12
cstmx_ryder
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: A metal box with a roundel

Yes, I'm aware of that....drone is drone, comes with every aftermarket exhaust, it's just how much drone......I'm over that as I'm more interested to keep my WG from rattling....

I just changed the WGDC back to 90% and it seem to have eliminated a lot of the rattle.....that's what gets me....when I had my number lowered, there were more rattles. That made my car sound like chit at a stoplight.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPSlick View Post
Rattle and drone are 2 different things being discussed.

'08 AW E90 335i
PROcede V5 | BMS DCI | RR DPs | ETS FMIC | FORGE DVs | Stett CP | Vanguard | PSS10
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2011, 01:47 PM   #13
InCityPhoto
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07' 335I

Quote:
Originally Posted by techlogik View Post
I think you are missing the point of the thread. Pretty much every exhaust, don't know of one yet, drones.

What he is saying is the wastegate setting might help with tuning the drone out due to the lack of Cats on a full exhaust setup etc....
Oh maybe I did miss the point, I thought he was just trying to poke at other brands for not having certain features.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2011, 01:52 PM   #14
Clap135
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by InCityPhoto View Post
Oh maybe I did miss the point, I thought he was just trying to poke at other brands for not having certain features.
Where do you people come from....
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2011, 02:01 PM   #15
Dmacc
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 1M

I've noticed this on both my stock exhaust when I first bought the car, and on my catless setting. With the jb3/4 and the procede (I've had both) the there is no noticeable drone. But when I wasn't using any software and I was running the stock factory tune, the exhaust note would randomly change, a lot of the times on the freeway, when I was at a constant speed, and without making adjustments to the accelerator, the exhaust tone would drop significantly and the note would be much deeper, on for a a few seconds and then it would go back.

I notice this both running the stock tune with stock exhaust, and catless exhaust. Could this mean there is something wrong with my wastegates? Or has anyone else experienced this on the stock tune?

thanks to MGallop
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2011, 02:08 PM   #16
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep

Ive had these changes in tone tuned on PROcede. Looking at a boost gauge it appears there is also a change in throttle blade angle.

On the vac/boost gauge, with no change in throttle input, I would increase VAC and the exhaust would get noticeably louder. This would be an increase in throttle blade opening, yet there was no change in acceleration.

So there is definitely a correlation between exhaust sound from WG and throttle blade angle actually.

This can be verified with more logging. The problem is, its hard to replicate. Atleast for me.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2011, 02:16 PM   #17
Dmacc
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPSlick View Post
Ive had these changes in tone tuned on PROcede. Looking at a boost gauge it appears there is also a change in throttle blade angle.

On the vac/boost gauge, with no change in throttle input, I would increase VAC and the exhaust would get noticeably louder. This would be an increase in throttle blade opening, yet there was no change in acceleration.

So there is definitely a correlation between exhaust sound from WG and throttle blade angle actually.

This can be verified with more logging. The problem is, its hard to replicate. Atleast for me.
Same for me as far as replicating, I've had it happen only once driving on the street, but it has happened Many times while on the freeway, and keep on mind, the car did this bone stock when I got it from the factory with only 92 miles on it.

thanks to MGallop
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2011, 02:21 PM   #18
boom
My X5d tows my spec miata to the track.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 X5 35d

while cruising the car will open its exhaust gas recirculation valve and consequently open the throttle. The egr may alter the sound a little as some of the exhaust is recirculated through the motor. I wonder if that's the throttle activity you're noticing.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2011, 02:24 PM   #19
Dmacc
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by boom View Post
while cruising the car will open its exhaust gas recirculation valve and consequently open the throttle. The egr may alter the sound a little as some of the exhaust is recirculated through the motor. I wonder if that's the throttle activity you're noticing.
Will this consequently cause the car to slightly speed up?

In my case the car changes tone, but the revs and speed remain constant.

thanks to MGallop
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2011, 02:27 PM   #20
boom
My X5d tows my spec miata to the track.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 X5 35d

It's not supposed to. EGR dilutes the air breathed by the engine so the throttle blade has to open to get more air. An open throttle blade reduces pumping losses and makes an engine more efficient. EGR is an EPA requirement and is probably the biggest contributor to the carbon on the valves of a DI motor. I'd love to delete it and am hoping that COBB can keep it closed all the time.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2011, 03:56 PM   #21
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmacc View Post
Same for me as far as replicating, I've had it happen only once driving on the street, but it has happened Many times while on the freeway, and keep on mind, the car did this bone stock when I got it from the factory with only 92 miles on it.
Quote:
Very well could be

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmacc View Post
Will this consequently cause the car to slightly speed up?

In my case the car changes tone, but the revs and speed remain constant.
Quote:
It's not supposed to. EGR dilutes the air breathed by the engine so the throttle blade has to open to get more air. An open throttle blade reduces pumping losses and makes an engine more efficient. EGR is an EPA requirement and is probably the biggest contributor to the carbon on the valves of a DI motor. I'd love to delete it and am hoping that COBB can keep it closed all the time.

Yea the car is def more efficient when that throttle blade opens up. Car feels a lot more peppy. Similar feeling to a true N/A engine.

I'm sure it does it stock, but the amount of miles I put on the car stock are slim and about 2 years ago LOL

I get the same change in tone, but revs and speed remain constant.
Appreciate 0