E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Heal Toe or NOT (with / without pedal extensions)

View Poll Results: Do you heal toe and if so, do you use pedal extensions? (MT drivers only)
I do NOT heal toe 11 26.19%
I DO heal toe 30 71.43%
I DO heal toe (and use pedal extensions) 1 2.38%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

02-24-2011, 11:52 PM   #1
Joshboody
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: pickemuptruck

Heal Toe or NOT (with / without pedal extensions)

I'm trying to Poll this... hmmmm

I'm curious how many heal toe. The reason I ask is because recently i purchased new shoes, which I like a lot, BUT cannot for the life of me heal toe anymore. They're a little skinnier than my "driving" shoes and the sole pattern gives them a higher, but even skinnier profile.

I "heal toe" with the wide part of my foot rolling over to the accelerator. Foot at about a 10 o'clock angle.

I do NOT like taking corners with the clutch depressed, so to take a corner without heal toe and to be in gear this mean there's no rev match. generally you can rev match most situations without heal toe... but not a turn.

what do you all think... too much thought and don't worry about slipping the clutch. Or... whatever you do rev match always. curious?

Pedal extensions maybe very helpful. This is the wrong section for this I know... but its the most popular one!

should have added a 4th selection... i try, but cannot heal toe

Last edited by Joshboody; 02-25-2011 at 12:17 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2011, 11:55 PM   #2
BrianMN
Banned
Rep
Drives: 4 Door Family Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshboody View Post
I'm trying to Poll this... hmmmm

I'm curious how many heal toe. The reason I ask is because recently i purchased new shoes, which I like a lot, BUT cannot for the life of me heal toe anymore. They're a little skinnier than my "driving" shoes and the sole pattern gives them a higher, but even skinnier profile.

I "heal toe" with the wide part of my foot rolling over to the brake. Foot at about a 10 o'clock angle.

I do NOT like taking corners with the clutch depressed, so to take a corner without heal toe and to be in gear this mean there's no rev match. generally you can rev match most situations without heal toe... but not a turn.

what do you all think... too much thought and don't worry about slipping the clutch. Or... whatever you do rev match always. curious?

Pedal extensions maybe very helpful. This is the wrong section for this I know... but its the most popular one!
I always heel-toe. but it's more of a Left side-Right side thing instead of heel/toe. My biggest pet peve is when people just put it in a lower gear and let the clutch out to slow them down. I saw these custom pedals on eBay a while back that basically have the gas pedal wider (closer to the brake pedal)..I"ll try to find it..

Edit: Check these guys out... http://www.ultimatepedals.com/

Last edited by BrianMN; 02-25-2011 at 12:03 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2011, 12:04 AM   #3
Joshboody
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianMN View Post
I always heel-toe. but it's more of a Left side-Right side thing instead of heel/toe. My biggest pet peve is when people just put it in a lower gear and let the clutch out to slow them down. I saw these custom pedals on eBay a while back that basically have the gas pedal wider (closer to the brake pedal)..I"ll try to find it..

yeah, more of left side-right side... but can't do it with the new shoes. you can slow down without heal toe, but to take a turn it's crucial.

I'm curious also how many people take a typical 2nd gear turn in gear or clutch depressed. But my slow driving is definitely still faster than most, especially around turns.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2011, 05:54 PM   #4
Joshboody
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

thought I would bump this to get some more MT votes. Looks like i have to return my shoes.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2011, 12:20 AM   #5
amdman
Rep
Drives: '11 BMW 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianMN View Post

Kind of glad this topic came up... So I just started doing heel-toe recently, always rev matched but usually before turns and not in them. Catching on quicker than I thought I would..

My question for you is, about your pet peeve, so do you mean downshifting to slow down or downshifting and letting themselves slow down because they don't rev match and they have to speed back up?

I was taught to downshift when coming to a stop and using the engine to help you slow down along with the brake. I've always done it that way.. Not sure if it's right, just what I was taught.

To answer someone else's question, when I first started driving I took 2nd gear turns with the clutch in but I broke myself of that habit because it seemed too dangerous to me if I needed to get moving really quickly.

What I have been having a problem with is trying to figure out how much to blip the throttle for the 3rd to 2nd shift. So far I'm always not blipping enough in the heel-toe mode... 3rd has a lot of power in these cars down at low speeds too.... almost don't need to go to 2nd for most turns.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2011, 12:31 AM   #6
PKumarM3
Air India
India
Rep
Drives: 2018 Dodge Durango

brake parts are easier and cheaper to replace than engine and transmission parts.

rev match for 6-5-4-3-2 situations. i think its pointless to revmatch from 2-1. if you're coming to a stop, just clutch in and hit neutral and use ur brakes.

also, shifting in turns is never a good idea.

it took me a while to rev match w/the n54. throttle sensitivity increased with the PROcede, but it took me a week to get it perfect.

Appreciate 0
      02-26-2011, 01:20 AM   #7
amdman
Rep
Drives: '11 BMW 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKumarM3 View Post
brake parts are easier and cheaper to replace than engine and transmission parts.
I've heard that line before, but truth is I pulled my clutch in my last car (during a turbo and quaife install) 20k miles of me doing just as I stated and the thing looked brand new...

I agree with you in theory but visually that wasn't the case.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2011, 08:18 AM   #8
lostomni
Superminiature Blackhole
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

The pedals have different depths and i am finding it difficult to heal toe. Any suggestions?
      02-26-2011, 09:53 AM   #9
PKumarM3
Air India
India
Rep
Drives: 2018 Dodge Durango

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostomni View Post
The pedals have different depths and i am finding it difficult to heal toe. Any suggestions?
check out my blog

http://pkumarm3.wordpress.com/2010/0...imate-warrior/

we used some wood behind the aluminum pedal. it equalled out the pedal to the gas.

Appreciate 0
      02-26-2011, 11:11 AM   #10
Joshboody
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

I think Brian is referring to engine braking without rev matching. if you rev match, then no excessive wear on the clutch. I will engine brake when i'm driving spiritedly... usually 3rd is just a rev match and no heal toe, but 3rd to 2nd typically requires a heal toe.

With my "driving" shoes no prob, but when wearing the new shoes I slowly let the clutch out before taking a turn... and i do NOT like this. So either change the shoes, or purchase pedal extensions like mentioned above.

I must have a skinny foot and cannot reach the accelerator consistantly with these shoes... sometimes yes, but others i completely miss the accelerator, or slip off the brake pedal. I need to try a more severe angle like 10 o'clock... i think now i'm more at a 11 o'clock angle really. Also placing the foot higher on the brake may help and using more of the heel side for the accelerator.

thanks for the replies and votes!
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2011, 11:26 AM   #11
335iLI
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335i

Rev matching with the lwfw is amazing. My car is demodded right now and It feels like the procede is in. 1st 2nd and 3rd feel like they should now.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2011, 12:04 PM   #12
BobS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M3

Just curious, how tall are you guys? I'm 6'5'', i find it very difficult to heal toe in this car and hardly do it. I blame it on my long legs and being tall (not having a lot of room to move) but now that i see these pedal extentions, I think that would help me.

ESS 650 ACM-R Upgrades
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2011, 12:30 PM   #13
caradd
(*) (*)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 e92 335i 6mt

People need to work on flexibility with them ankles
      02-26-2011, 02:38 PM   #14
Joshboody
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobS View Post
Just curious, how tall are you guys? I'm 6'5'', i find it very difficult to heal toe in this car and hardly do it. I blame it on my long legs and being tall (not having a lot of room to move) but now that i see these pedal extentions, I think that would help me.
I'm 6'5", but skinny so I don't think this can be an excuss for me.

Today I was driving and instead of angling my foot to the left, I tried to the right and MUCH easier. So now between 2 and 3 o'clock using middle left side for brake and upper right side for accelerator. I think this is more of the proper technique... heal brake / toe accelerator. I don't know how i got use to the opposite.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2011, 06:58 PM   #15
Fatal Flash
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2/i8/M3 GTS3/335is/KTM390 Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshboody View Post
I think this is more of the proper technique... heal brake / toe accelerator. I don't know how i got use to the opposite.
Completely wrong.

Heel goes on gas, toe goes on brake. Heel/Toe is only used under very heavy braking..hard to replicate on the streets unless you're flying onto some exit ramp.

Do you brake with your heel or your toe when you are driving? Gas is only used to be able to significantly blip the throttle to double as "rev-matching"

Rev-Matching and Heel-Toe are two different animals.

Appreciate 0
      02-26-2011, 08:45 PM   #16
Joshboody
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatal Flash View Post
Completely wrong.

Heel goes on gas, toe goes on brake. Heel/Toe is only used under very heavy braking..hard to replicate on the streets unless you're flying onto some exit ramp.

Do you brake with your heel or your toe when you are driving? Gas is only used to be able to significantly blip the throttle to double as "rev-matching"

Rev-Matching and Heel-Toe are two different animals.

makes sense... i wouldn't say they're completely different; if you always rev-match, then you'll have to heal toe at times, even in more casual driving.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2011, 09:16 PM   #17
forza1976
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
2022 BMW M3X  [10.00]
pedal extensions... I just LOL'd

Learn how to angle your little girlie feet

JUST KIDDING MAN!!!