E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Methanol Injection: Which kit do you use?

View Poll Results: Which meth kit do you use?
Devils own 3 8.57%
Coolingmist 19 54.29%
AEM 2 5.71%
Active Autowerke 0 0%
Vishnu kit 3 8.57%
Aquamist 1 2.86%
Labonte 0 0%
Other 7 20.00%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

03-08-2011, 12:36 PM   #1
Forcefed3
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i

Garage List
2008 335i  [1.00]
Methanol Injection: Which kit do you use?

Which kit do you use and what are your experiences? I will be purchasing the new Coolingmist integrated tank with CMGS before summer. Also, a few things that would probably be helpful to some:
1) What do you use to fill your tank? Boost juice, denatured alcohol, HEET, windshield wiper fluid, etc.
2) What % mixture do you run?
3) Ever encountered any problems?
4) How often do you clean out the tank, nozzles, and other parts.

Last edited by Forcefed3; 03-08-2011 at 01:03 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2011, 12:52 PM   #2
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

I'm on the OTHER... YAY.

It's a hybrid of Devils Own and Coolingmist. Had a Labonte fail-safe that still isnt working.

Vp M1, 80+ Meth.

Define problems?
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2011, 12:59 PM   #3
Forcefed3
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2008 335i  [1.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPSlick View Post
I'm on the OTHER... YAY.

It's a hybrid of Devils Own and Coolingmist. Had a Labonte fail-safe that still isnt working.

Vp M1, 80+ Meth.

Define problems?
Pooling, leaks, etc. I wouldn't expect many people to claim they had problems, just thought I would throw it in there for anyone trying to decide if they want to purchase a meth kit.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2011, 01:02 PM   #4
McMuffin
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Widebody 92

How did you forget to add Snow Performance
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2011, 01:04 PM   #5
Forcefed3
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2008 335i  [1.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by McMuffin View Post
How did you forget to add Snow Performance
I realized that after looking at the poll, but I cant change it now that its posted. And yes, I realize the majority of people use snow performance :facepalm:
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2011, 02:19 PM   #6
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbreeE90 View Post
Pooling, leaks, etc. I wouldn't expect many people to claim they had problems, just thought I would throw it in there for anyone trying to decide if they want to purchase a meth kit.
Most manufacturers source universal parts. Pump, Lines, fittings, boost switches, solenoids, even nozzles.

Some pride themselves of their special fittings or nozzles, however, the reality is the majority of kits are universal. I know this statement might get a little people edgy, but its the truth.

There are some differences that set kits apart, mostly its electronic hardware, I.e. failsafes and controllers.

However, your basic methanol kit is like any other. They all consist of a pump, line, fittings, nozzle, boost switch, and tank.

Most problems are from user error or simply required maintenance. Ironically I will be upgrading all my fittings today from composite to metal because they appear to be leaking as of recently. Granted they are 2 year fittings and methanol soaked for that time as well.

Something like a Vishnu kit has its niche because of its little design in the trunk.

Other companies might pride themselves on a better pump, or whatever.

Coolingmist prides themselves on their super atomizing nozzle.

List goes on and on.

My intention is not to discredit any companies saying they are universal, but if someone says XX company is better, I would like to hear why. (not saying they cant be better in some fashion).

My kit started as a coolingmist kit, and due to inadequate design preferences of some hardware I switched to devils own or other universal products.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2011, 02:26 PM   #7
Forcefed3
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2008 335i  [1.00]
Quote:
Most manufacturers source universal parts. Pump, Lines, fittings, boost switches, solenoids, even nozzles.

Some pride themselves of their special fittings or nozzles, however, the reality is the majority of kits are universal. I know this statement might get a little people edgy, but its the truth.

There are some differences that set kits apart, mostly its electronic hardware, I.e. failsafes and controllers.

However, your basic methanol kit is like any other. They all consist of a pump, line, fittings, nozzle, boost switch, and tank.

Most problems are from user error or simply required maintenance. Ironically I will be upgrading all my fittings today from composite to metal because they appear to be leaking as of recently. Granted they are 2 year fittings and methanol soaked for that time as well.

Something like a Vishnu kit has its niche because of its little design in the trunk.

List goes on and on.

My intention is not to discredit any companies saying they are universal, but if someone says XX company is better, I would like to hear why. (not saying they cant be better in some fashion).

My kit started as a coolingmist kit, and due to inadequate design preferences of some hardware I switched to devils own or other universal products.
The reason I like the new coolingmist set up is because of its simplicity, everything is in the tank. How long have you had your current fittings?
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2011, 02:32 PM   #8
BrianMN
Banned
Rep
Drives: 4 Door Family Sedan

Quote:

List goes on and on.

I will agree with this...with the sole exception of Aquamist. Aquamist has noticeably different and superior hardware, pumps, controllers, flow sensors, etc. It cost a little more usually, but if you hold it up to another kit, you'll be able to visually see the differences.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2011, 02:32 PM   #9
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The reason I like the new coolingmist set up is because of its simplicity, everything is in the tank. How long have you had your current fittings?
I sell both devils own and coolingmist. There is a reason I got rid of my coolingmist tank.

Nothing is more simple then a 4 quart tank gravity fed to a pump.

Fittings are 2 years old.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianMN View Post
I will agree with this...with the sole exception of Aquamist. Aquamist has noticeably different and superior hardware, pumps, controllers, flow sensors, etc. It cost a little more usually, but if you hold it up to another kit, you'll be able to visually see the differences.
I think at that point the price difference would show the advantage. (meaning since it cost more it should be better).
I'm not one to push for proof, but maybe you just know the answer, when you refer to hardware do you know what makes them "better". I'm being sincere. I've heard the same from a few people to what you say about aquamist so im not surprised, just wondering. Maybe I need to step up my game.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2011, 02:37 PM   #10
Forcefed3
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2008 335i  [1.00]
Quote:
Why is it that we dont really hear of anyone using the aquamist? Is it because of the price? If it is really that superior I would definitely go with it. Sorry for the stupid question, but would the aquamist kit work with one of the coolingmist tanks? Such as this:
Name:  stage1prolarge.jpg
Views: 853
Size:  35.7 KB

Last edited by Forcefed3; 03-08-2011 at 02:42 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2011, 02:38 PM   #11
Forcefed3
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2008 335i  [1.00]
Quote:
I sell both devils own and coolingmist. There is a reason I got rid of my coolingmist tank.

Nothing is more simple then a 4 quart tank gravity fed to a pump.
You got rid of the tank due to its simplicity?
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2011, 02:41 PM   #12
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep

Quote:
You got rid of the tank due to its simplicity?
We are talking about 2 different tanks.

I had the coolingmist one you will find BMS selling, which is the pump mounted on the tank.

I switched to a generic, gravity fed, 4 quart tank, which you mount the pump somewhere below the tank.

The tank(CM pump mounted tank) is actually quite complex as the design of the tank has an inherent flaw. The tank requires a pick up tube that needs to be perfectly placed at the correct location of the tank. Otherwise when the tank is half full or less it creates air pockets causing air into the meth line. There are many people that say the tank works "fine" but for the sheer fact that I had a nightmare of problems, and the potential is there to have a problem for yourself, its just as easy to get a different tank, even from coolingmist, and have it be just as simple.

Most methanol sets are simple in their basic form.

Mount a Tank, Mount the pump. Run the lines. Attach vacuum hoses to meth switch. Install nozzle. Done.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2011, 02:43 PM   #13
BrianMN
Banned
Rep

Quote:

I think at that point the price difference would show the advantage. (meaning since it cost more it should be better).
I'm not one to push for proof, but maybe you just know the answer, when you refer to hardware do you know what makes them "better". I'm being sincere. I've heard the same from a few people to what you say about aquamist so im not surprised, just wondering. Maybe I need to step up my game.
I don't have physical testing or stress-testing to extrapolate the differences. All I know is when I see/hold Aquamist stuff, it appears to be of better quality, more solid, tighter clearances/fitting, etc. The only way I can describe it is the feeling you get when comparing an iphone to a $50 boost mobile prepaid phone. This is a completely illegitimate way of determining quality, and I would discredit what I'm saying if I saw someone else saying it. There are physical differences, but I guess I don't have proof of those differences being superior.

This isn't saying the other companies' products aren't good; just that many are universal and of similar (exact) quality and Aquamist, to me, physically appears to be a level above.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2011, 02:44 PM   #14
Forcefed3
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2008 335i  [1.00]
Quote:
We are talking about 2 different tanks.

I had the coolingmist one you will find BMS selling, which is the pump mounted on the tank.

I switched to a generic, gravity fed, 4 quart tank, which you mount the pump somewhere below the tank.

The tank(CM pump mounted tank) is actually quite complex as the design of the tank has an inherent flaw. The tank requires a pick up tube that needs to be perfectly placed at the correct location of the tank. Otherwise when the tank is half full or less it creates air pockets causing air into the meth line. There are many people that say the tank works "fine" but for the sheer fact that I had a nightmare of problems, and the potential is there to have a problem for yourself, its just as easy to get a different tank, even from coolingmist, and have it be just as simple.

Most methanol sets are simple in their basic form.

Mount a Tank, Mount the pump. Run the lines. Attach vacuum hoses to meth switch. Install nozzle. Done.
Okay, thanks for letting me know. I guess I need to look around some more before I choose a tank.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2011, 02:47 PM   #15
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I don't have physical testing or stress-testing to extrapolate the differences. All I know is when I see/hold Aquamist stuff, it appears to be of better quality, more solid, tighter clearances/fitting, etc. The only way I can describe it is the feeling you get when comparing an iphone to a $50 boost mobile prepaid phone. This is a completely illegitimate way of determining quality, and I would discredit what I'm saying if I saw someone else saying it. There are physical differences, but I guess I don't have proof of those differences being superior.

This isn't saying the other companies' products aren't good; just that many are universal and of similar (exact) quality and Aquamist, to me, physically appears to be a level above.
Heh... well I know that Devils own prides themselves that they engineer certain aspects of their kits in house. So if aquamist is actually manufacturing or designing their own hardware, I would imagine it would be to improve over universal parts.

Quote:
Okay, thanks for letting me know. I guess I need to look around some more before I choose a tank.
The only way I would want a Pump mounted tank, is if it were baffled or sump based. Which I know devils own has.

Otherwise gravity fed is the way to go. If you have any questions you can PM me before you buy.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2011, 02:49 PM   #16
Forcefed3
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2008 335i  [1.00]
Quote:
Otherwise gravity fed is the way to go. If you have any questions you can PM me before you buy.
Okay, thanks, I will do that after I look around some more. I thought I knew exactly what I wanted but I guess I need to look at other set ups. Howerton engineering seems to have an awesome tank which includes a pump cooling fan (dont know if that even matters). I still need to figure out exactly how I will wire everything though.

Last edited by Forcefed3; 03-08-2011 at 02:54 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2011, 02:50 PM   #17
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep

This is what I had...

Below is what I switched to for "simplicity" as you like to call it

Coolingmist also offers there own 4 quart tank. They are "unviersal" in most respects. The caps and the tanks taps being the only thing different between the manufacturers.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2011, 03:13 PM   #18
Forcefed3
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2008 335i  [1.00]
One thing that I dont like about aquamist is that it seems you cant integrate it with your tune.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2011, 03:26 PM   #19
themyst
Major General
South Korea
Rep
Drives: '16 MK7 GTI

I have a devilsown pump, labonte 4qt tank, labonte meth line, labonte solenoid, devilsown pressure switch, ar design meth elbow, snowperformance failsafe, and a coolingmist cm10 nozzle. It's a Frankenstein meth kit!
      03-08-2011, 03:32 PM   #20
BrianMN
Banned
Rep

Quote:
One thing that I dont like about aquamist is that it seems you cant integrate it with your tune.
Absolutely you can. You can have the HFS 30 or whatever controller you have to do whatever you want it to..
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2011, 03:35 PM   #21
prelude2perfect
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 M5 and 2015 535i

Quote:

This is what I had...

Below is what I switched to for "simplicity" as you like to call it

Coolingmist also offers there own 4 quart tank. They are "unviersal" in most respects. The caps and the tanks taps being the only thing different between the manufacturers.

So what's your opinion on CM's new tank? -

Appreciate 0
      03-08-2011, 03:40 PM   #22
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by prelude2perfect View Post
So what's your opinion on CM's new tank? -

Quote:
This kit is our 250 psi stage 1 kit with our PRO tank. The unique shape of this tank ensures you do not have fuel starvation during cornering or heavy acceleration like other large tanks. No worry about sloshing and no baffles are required. The high pressure pump is gravity fed by the tank at all times, the 2 + gallon tank has high capacity and is only approx 12 inches high and 9.5 inches wide. It does not get any better than this. Pump mounts in the back of the tank.

The provided boost switch is adjustable from 1-25 psi. This is an excellent kit for road racing or daily driving.

Its legit because of the bold, gravity fed. No personal experience, but on paper it looks good.

Its a little large for my taste, but if someone wants a tank that large, 2+ gallons by all means its a nice piece.
Appreciate 0