E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - California > can't believe im still alive!

03-26-2011, 11:56 PM   #1
drknight
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 sDrive30i M-Sport

can't believe im still alive!

So check this out guys. I just recently sold my wheels and had to have my tires unmounted so I could ship them. I went to a local shop Mach III in San Francisco to do this. Everything was fine, they unmounted the tires and put my stockers back on.

I drove the car home that day. I didn't drive the vehicle again until Monday when i went to work. I started feeling some strange vibrations and shaking. I couldn't figure out what it was. Until today. I was at my friends place and I was explaining to him what I was feeling from my car. He thought I needed an alignment because I changed wheels.

The actual cause? I was missing 4 lugs on my front wheel!!!! My jaw dropped. I couldn't believe it. I was rolling with 1 lug for a week!! I can't believe my wheel didn't fall off. I was driving pretty aggressive despite the vibrations. Very thankful right now.

I will be calling the shop first thing Monday to talk to them about this. If they don't sincerely apologize for this mistake, I'm thinking of consulting my attorney. Do you guys think I have any legal recourse here?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-27-2011, 12:44 AM   #2
MF80
Captain
Thailand
Rep
Drives: AW 2008 E92 335i

Forgot to torque them down. I did that once and lost 2 bolts in a day. Good thing you are safe.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2011, 12:47 AM   #3
eNinety650
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i

uhh.... i was gonna bring my car to them for an alignment and tint.

not too sure about that now.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2011, 12:47 AM   #4
335icell
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 E90 & Fit

Quote:
Originally Posted by JsTech View Post
Forgot to torque them down. I did that once and lost 2 bolts in a day. Good thing you are safe.
any advice on re-torque sir? i just got my new rims too today
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2011, 01:11 AM   #5
skinrock
Agent Smith
Rep
Drives: 2016 i8

Garage List
2016 BMW i8  [10.00]
Well I imagine you'd have to prove they were the last ones to touch them. And they could probably say you're supposed to have them checked again after a small period of driving. Plus, not to make light of the situation, but since nothing really happened, I wonder what you could even say - I was parked and found 4 lug nuts missing? I obviously get that's beside the point, but I think the burden of proof is on you.

It sucks, and hopefully they own up, especially since they are supposed to be at the meet next weekend.
      03-27-2011, 01:53 AM   #6
serge_chez
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i E90

the car is fine, you are fine. What would you need attorneys for? Emotional trauma and damage? Hopefully they own up to their mistake and it all works out for you.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2011, 01:55 AM   #7
335icell
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 E90 & Fit

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinrock View Post
Well I imagine you'd have to prove they were the last ones to touch them. And they could probably say you're supposed to have them checked again after a small period of driving. Plus, not to make light of the situation, but since nothing really happened, I wonder what you could even say - I was parked and found 4 lug nuts missing? I obviously get that's beside the point, but I think the burden of proof is on you.

It sucks, and hopefully they own up, especially since they are supposed to be at the meet next weekend.
+1
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2011, 01:33 PM   #8
drknight
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinrock View Post

Yea I realize that I will somehow have to prove it and I hope that will just own up to it like you said . The nothing really happened part is tbd. Who knows what damage may have been caused to the wheel and the hub. As a precaution, I've stopped driving the vehicle until I can get it inspected. It's a little scary knowing what could have happened, so in that sense there is some emotional stress, but I'm a man so I'll get over it. Just patiently waiting to see what the shop will say tmrw.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2011, 03:43 PM   #9
darkevo
Commander
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d MSport, 2012 Volt

this happened to me in another car, made weird noises at highway speed, apparently the shop's torque wrench was bad. I didn't miss any lugs, they re-torqued and sound gone!

glad nothing bad happened!
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2011, 04:27 PM   #10
KRUZNM3
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

this happened to me in my old car... luckily i found out what it was before any lugs fell off
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2011, 05:20 PM   #11
Hey Ant
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Glad you're still alive after a week of driving on one lug nut.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2011, 06:08 PM   #12
drknight
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

So just an update for those interested. I called the shop and they will do their very best to help me out. They didnt try to deny it, which relieved me. I'm bringing the car in later today for some inspections. Hoping nothing is damaged. All I will ask them for is some new lugs if that's the case.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2011, 08:14 PM   #13
DoPedUpM3
El Carpe Diem
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche Turbo/ 335i Coupe

Garage List
2008 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by drknight View Post
So just an update for those interested. I called the shop and they will do their very best to help me out. They didnt try to deny it, which relieved me. I'm bringing the car in later today for some inspections. Hoping nothing is damaged. All I will ask them for is some new lugs if that's the case.
Wouldnt you rather take your car to another shop to have it inspected.. That way if nothing is wrong you know they mean it and arent just coverng their asses? Im sure you feel like you trust them but you never know... Good luck.
08' AW e92 335i 6mt, Performance sterring wheel (non-electric)/ Performance SSK/ M-tec wheel trim/ BMS DCI/ Bimmian Interior LEDs/ Side-marker LEDs/ WeissLicht PY24 LED Turn Signal/ GPThunder/ Debadge/ Painted reflectors/ Matte black grills/ Aero front lip/ Rear bumper/ Stock.. much more fun to come.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2011, 09:57 PM   #14
drknight
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoPedUpM3 View Post
Wouldnt you rather take your car to another shop to have it inspected.. That way if nothing is wrong you know they mean it and arent just coverng their asses? Im sure you feel like you trust them but you never know... Good luck.
I got the car back today, the shop said there was no damage and safe to drive. They've ordered some lugs for me, so just have to go back to get those installed. But I will seek a second opinion of another shop just to cover my back. Thanks for the support guys!
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2011, 10:34 PM   #15
Juan.sidarta
Banned
Indonesia
Rep
Drives: ex-e92

BELIEVE IT!
Appreciate 0