E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Washing car in a condo

04-05-2011, 07:08 PM   #1
drvai
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 AW

Washing car in a condo

After years of washing my car in my condo (back of the parking lot), today I was told I could not wash my car (period).
I wonder if the manager can do that without a valid justification. Can a condo come up with an arbitrary rule and enforce it.
Can I actually go to court and ask to reverse this? (I wouldn't do it, but I can bluff).

I have never complained about anything and THE only thing I ask is be able to wash my car. Really makes me mad
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2011, 07:14 PM   #2
IancoleTX
Dillo boxers
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5C

What a doucher. "No, we don't like people who take care of their stuff living here"
      04-05-2011, 07:17 PM   #3
dday
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 Alpine White 335 M-Sport

They own the building so they can do whatever they want really. My condo is right next to a brook so they don't allow washing either due to runoff issues. I just wash at my buddies place down the road.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2011, 07:18 PM   #4
SMOKE EM IF U GOT EM!!
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06' E90 330, 20' F97 X3m

Garage List
2006 330i SPORT  [7.34]
thats pretty fucked up dude. did you try to ask him why or reason w him?

LIVE FAST..DRIVE FASTER!!
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2011, 07:20 PM   #5
kimoxl
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Jet Black 335

Just gonna have to start washing your car with ONR from now on.. You'll be surprised how amazing that product is.. I wash my jb e92 all the time at any time of the day with no problems..
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2011, 07:36 PM   #6
drvai
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimoxl View Post
Just gonna have to start washing your car with ONR from now on.. You'll be surprised how amazing that product is.. I wash my jb e92 all the time at any time of the day with no problems..
I wonder if they are going to let me do that.... I don't know if it's because they don't want people using the water or because they don't like people "washing their cars in the parking lot"...

If not I will have to start using a self-service machine.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2011, 09:20 PM   #7
chrisE92
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Monaco Blue E92

I know how you feel. my apartment has a strict "NO washing cars" and "NO working on cars" thing. Taking the fun out of everything... I always have to go to my mom's house to do things.
      04-05-2011, 10:40 PM   #8
kimoxl
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Jet Black 335

You'll be surprised about how little water you use when you use ONR.. Definitely worth $30 for a gallon.. Check out detailersdomain.com for further
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2011, 10:46 PM   #9
bimmertt
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2007 e92 335i

I can see it being a legit rule. You might want to check with your HOA or read up on the bylaws. You can probably get it overturned if enough of the community is OK with it.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2011, 02:07 AM   #10
ladius
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '06 bmw 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmertt View Post
I can see it being a legit rule. You might want to check with your HOA or read up on the bylaws. You can probably get it overturned if enough of the community is OK with it.
I was going to say, the association rules might forbid it, among with things like barbecues grills on balconies, no satellite antennas on balconies, etc. check you association rules, by-laws or ask the manager guy to refer you to which section has this rule.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2011, 09:03 AM   #11
drvai
Major
United_States
Rep

Thanks for the responses. Will talk with the manager and see what all this about, but I guess that if its official, I dont have any options. They can easily call the cops if I dont obey. I have a self service car wash near and will check it out today.

Thing is that after the wash, when you are all dirty, you dont really want to be driving the car.

Really sucks!!!!!
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2011, 09:08 AM   #12
Krozi
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 ///M3 Alpine White

What a nazi...maybe even get people in the condo to sign something to say they are fine with it and present it to the douche?

2008 E92 ///M3 Alpine White//Fox Red//6MT//
Florida Bimmer - Join us on FaceBook!
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2011, 09:43 AM   #13
dday
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 Alpine White 335 M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by drvai View Post
Thanks for the responses. Will talk with the manager and see what all this about, but I guess that if its official, I dont have any options. They can easily call the cops if I dont obey. I have a self service car wash near and will check it out today.

Thing is that after the wash, when you are all dirty, you dont really want to be driving the car.

Really sucks!!!!!
I doubt the cops would get involved. If it's part of the association rules there are usually fines involved. What would likely happen is that the association would fine you for breaking the rules. You should have received a copy of the rules when you moved in. If you don't have them you should request them. If the rules don't prohibit washing your car then you should be able to continue to do so until they amend the rules. Usually there's an association that votes on these type of things. It might be worth finding out who is on the board and speaking with them.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2011, 10:38 AM   #14
fdriller9
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 AW 330xi

Garage List
2006 330xi  [6.44]
I find this similar to having pets....your lease will define what you can and cannot have.

Does your lease say anything about not being able to use the parking lot? I would think it would have to be mentioned in your lease that you cannot use the lot.

Yes it is their property, but you, as a leaser?, have the right to use the compound's facilities unless otherwise stated....which should be in the lease agreement.

This is just my opinion....I'm not sure if this is legally right.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2011, 10:49 AM   #15
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

Sounds like a bunch of haters.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2011, 11:35 AM   #16
bulldog_yyc
Major General
Rep
Drives: GT3RS

typical condo rules - no washing but all the beater cars leak oil and fluids when parked, as if thats ok for the environment. Anyways, good luck pal.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2011, 11:46 AM   #17
Bobble
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Whatever POS the wife leaves

Like the other posters said it's got to be in th HOA CCR's and if so it is enforcable. Are you the owner? If so ask where in the CCR's it is and read that. If not plead ingorance and state the homeowner never told you. As far as the cops thing goes is that your assumption or did the manager state that. The one thing cops hate to do is get involved in civil disputes, no law broken they are probably going to roll their eyes and say play nice. Nothing wrong with self service was if you can bucket wash there, check with them and make sure you can.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2011, 01:25 PM   #18
Rotary Rasp
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 335i 6MT

Most of the time in apartments and condos certain utilities, like water, are shared amongst everyone and paid for out of rent/HOA fees. Therefore, it is not fair to the building management for you to waste water washing your car since they don't directly bill you for it.

Unless you get your own water bill each month, you really don't have a choice but to follow their rules.
      04-06-2011, 01:43 PM   #19
ladius
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '06 bmw 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by dday View Post
Usually there's an association that votes on these type of things. It might be worth finding out who is on the board and speaking with them.
Run to become a member of the board and change the rules!
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2011, 01:52 PM   #20
drvai
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotary Rasp View Post
Most of the time in apartments and condos certain utilities, like water, are shared amongst everyone and paid for out of rent/HOA fees. Therefore, it is not fair to the building management for you to waste water washing your car since they don't directly bill you for it.

Unless you get your own water bill each month, you really don't have a choice but to follow their rules.
This is actually very true. But at the same time, everybody uses the pool, water from common facilities, etc...

I own the place (for 10 years), was never prohibited and no official documentation was sent.

Will talk with manager and see what's the real story.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2011, 02:15 PM   #21
Bartman619
Captain
Rep
Drives: Bimmer

Quote:
This is actually very true. But at the same time, everybody uses the pool, water from common facilities, etc...

I own the place (for 10 years), was never prohibited and no official documentation was sent.

Wow, I've owned my condo for almost 4 years and always washed my e90 and wife's civic at the driveway every 2 weeks. Heck, I've even had the HOA president walk by and wave at me several times while washing my car..and she didn't say a thing. I've never had a problem with the HOA complaining. My neighbors are washing their cars themselves too. Other than paying my HOA dues and complaining about neighbors who can't pick up after their dogs after shitting...i've never had a complaint about car washing. if you're paying for the water bill you should be able to wash your car IMHO. But they have these stupid CCR's in place which is more of a PITA. Good Luck to you when you speak to the manager.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2011, 03:22 PM   #22
bimmertt
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2007 e92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartman619 View Post
Quote:

Wow, I've owned my condo for almost 4 years and always washed my e90 and wife's civic at the driveway every 2 weeks. Heck, I've even had the HOA president walk by and wave at me several times while washing my car..and she didn't say a thing. I've never had a problem with the HOA complaining. My neighbors are washing their cars themselves too. Other than paying my HOA dues and complaining about neighbors who can't pick up after their dogs after shitting...i've never had a complaint about car washing. if you're paying for the water bill you should be able to wash your car IMHO. But they have these stupid CCR's in place which is more of a PITA. Good Luck to you when you speak to the manager.
You have a condo with a driveway?
Appreciate 0