E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Staining On Dakota (lemon) seats!!!!

04-05-2011, 08:24 PM   #1
sy2767
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2013 x5

Staining On Dakota (lemon) seats!!!!

My leather Dakota seats has some nasty stains where my lower back rests, I've tried BMW leather cleaner but no luck, also tried simple green and spray nine because i was desperate but again no luck. I even went as far as trying a Mr Clean magic eraser but again did nothing!!!!! I really want this fixed and i have no idea what to do next, it looks like denim dye but I'm not sure. PLEASE SOMEONE HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2011, 08:29 PM   #2
ChickenFriedRice
Canadian Member
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335xi

I've got the same colour interior and have always used Lexol Leather Cleaner with great success:

http://www.eshine.ca/lexol_leather_c...169oz-3130.php

Hopefully it works for you. Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2011, 09:38 PM   #3
Dr. G
Major General
Rep
Drives: Black e92 335i

Garage List
e92 BMW 335i  [8.84]
Try Leatherique prestine clean or leather masters strong cleaner.
JB4 / OSS Angel Eyes / Downpipes / F1-Racewerks FMIC / Custom Meth Kit / BMS DCI / ER Chargepipe / HKS BOV / BMS Meth Elbow / BMW Performance Exhaust / Carbon Fiber Inlay Quad Tips / 19" Miro 111 / Front Aero Lip / M3 Sides / VRS CSL Trunk / Mtech Rear / DD CF Quad Finned Diffuser / LCI Tails / BBK / Smoked Reflectors / F1 Euphoria LED Interior / License LED's / GT 5000k Corners / 5000k HID Fogs / Air Scoops / LED Turn Signals / FK Silverline Coilovers / HPA endlinks / Vibrant Resonators / Osram CBI 5000k D1S
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2011, 09:38 PM   #4
Dr. G
Major General
Rep

Garage List
e92 BMW 335i  [8.84]
Oh and if those don't work diluted woolite with a leather brush.
JB4 / OSS Angel Eyes / Downpipes / F1-Racewerks FMIC / Custom Meth Kit / BMS DCI / ER Chargepipe / HKS BOV / BMS Meth Elbow / BMW Performance Exhaust / Carbon Fiber Inlay Quad Tips / 19" Miro 111 / Front Aero Lip / M3 Sides / VRS CSL Trunk / Mtech Rear / DD CF Quad Finned Diffuser / LCI Tails / BBK / Smoked Reflectors / F1 Euphoria LED Interior / License LED's / GT 5000k Corners / 5000k HID Fogs / Air Scoops / LED Turn Signals / FK Silverline Coilovers / HPA endlinks / Vibrant Resonators / Osram CBI 5000k D1S
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2011, 09:54 PM   #5
sndohio
Private
Rep
Drives: 545I , 640I GC

try Mr. clean magic erase extra power, its really works
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2011, 12:54 AM   #6
JayKay335i
Banned
Egypt
Rep
Drives: ///M323 DCT

Do not touch your leather with a "magic eraser"
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2011, 02:42 AM   #7
MuttGrunt
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: beater;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayKay335i View Post
Do not touch your leather with a "magic eraser"
Holy cow - THIS people.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2011, 11:49 AM   #8
Bobble
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Whatever POS the wife leaves

Please use a dedicated leather cleaner not the other stuff suggested. Either Leatherique twins or Leather Master Strong and Vital and you might want to pick up a leather brush to agitate. The others will damage the coating on your leather causing the actual leather to fail over time. Where's TOWGT when you need him!!
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2011, 12:05 PM   #9
dday
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 Alpine White 335 M-Sport

I have Oyster Leather so I feel your pain. I get dye transfer from my jeans all the time and have to clean them every two weeks.

Here's what I do:

Try leather master strong cleaner: http://detailersdomain.com/carcarepr...erCareKit.html

If that doesn't work try the leather masters super remover, I had to use this to get the last stubborn stain out, just be careful and follow the instructions with this prod: http://detailersdomain.com/carcarepr...inRemover.html

For light cleanings I use Sonax leather foam, I do a quick wipe down every couple weeks and a more thorough cleaning with the leather masters every 6-8 weeks. Hope that helps.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2011, 06:53 PM   #10
jopa489
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Anything with Wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuttGrunt View Post
Holy cow - THIS people.
+2, take our advice on this. Don't touch it with Magic Eraser or Simple Green either!!! Poor choice, it will damage the leather.

As said, get a quality dedicated leather cleaner and appropriate brush to agitate gently. Don't go rubbing like crazy. Did I mention to never use the Magic Eraser or Simple Green on leather ever again?

X7 LCI // Incoming
C7 ZR1 ZTK // Sebring + TRX // Hydro + Raptor Gen1 Roush // Tuxedo
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2011, 07:50 PM   #11
ceb
NHTSA Nazi
Rep
Drives: 335ix

At this point his seats may be damaged. He's used Simple Green, 409 and magic eraser - all of those will damage the finish AND the leather.

I think he needs to go to a high end upholstery shop to see what can be saved.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2011, 10:48 PM   #12
sy2767
Major
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceb View Post
At this point his seats may be damaged. He's used Simple Green, 409 and magic eraser - all of those will damage the finish AND the leather.

I think he needs to go to a high end upholstery shop to see what can be saved.
WRONG. Using those products did nothing to the leather ( i didnt soak it or scrub on it at any time), its like i never touched it with no visible damage whatsoever!!! I will try to find the products mentioned here in Canada.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2011, 10:49 PM   #13
Dr. G
Major General
Rep

Garage List
e92 BMW 335i  [8.84]
eshine.ca to find them in Canada.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2011, 04:40 PM   #14
Bobble
Major
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sy2767 View Post
WRONG. Using those products did nothing to the leather ( i didnt soak it or scrub on it at any time), its like i never touched it with no visible damage whatsoever!!! I will try to find the products mentioned here in Canada.
Once or twice probably wont harm it long term but continued use will cause the coating to delaminate and damage the actual leather. The issue would be the coating first then long term the actual hide. Just start using something for leather, even OTC lexol leather cleaner would be better than Simple green, magic eraser route in the long run.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2011, 09:49 PM   #15
ceb
NHTSA Nazi
Rep
Drives: 335ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by sy2767 View Post
Why did you bother coming here and asking questions since you are the expert on leather care?

Do you know anything about moden leather? Hint: 409 and Simple Green (or magic eraser) can easily cause permanent damage.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2011, 08:25 AM   #16
sy2767
Major
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Why did you bother coming here and asking questions since you are the expert on leather care?

Do you know anything about moden leather? Hint: 409 and Simple Green (or magic eraser) can easily cause permanent damage.
Didn't say i was an expert on anything...... he assumed i damaged my seats
QUOTE.." I think he needs to go to a high end upholstery shop to see what can be saved ". Saved?? I only tested a very small area with no scrubbing, did nothing. I hate it when people assume negative things, if your not commenting on how to help please keep your negative comments to yourself. Thank you.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2011, 12:10 PM   #17
MuttGrunt
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: beater;)

Quote:

Exactly. I feel bad for this guys car... poor thing
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2011, 03:01 PM   #18
Bobble
Major
No_Country
Rep

Here's a fair question to the OP. How many times and in what combination did you use the Simple green, 409 and magic eraser?

I'll stand by my comment that if you used it once or twice no real harm IE immediate damage. If you in fact combined the products, used them several times each then I say the urethane coating on the leather, all modern production cars have coated leather products, will fail over time. How long anyone's guess. Bottom line dedicated interior cleaners work best especially for us non-professionals. I know of respected pro detailers that use APC on badly soiled leather in the right dilution with the right process and followed up with the right care products without furthering any damage. Now can it be saved without replacing the leather, most likely. Should you continue to do this HELL NO.

If you are in fact concerned I would ask for a recommendation of a quality pro detailer in your area and have them take a look and quote you to clean and protect and show you what and how to do it going forward. It honestly would be money in the bank to save the seats and it could be nothing really other than a good cleaning. If you don't want the expense of a pro any of the products mentioned in earlier posts can and will provide you with best cleaning and protection available DIY. If you don't want the cost of dedicated leather care products, probably $50 to $75 total, then OTC Lexol or a damp rag with warm water is better than the other stuff you used.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2011, 05:05 PM   #19
sy2767
Major
No_Country
Rep

I used a Q-tip when i tried the chemicals, the size of a dime maybe. I didn't mix any of these together and each attempt was about a week apart from one another ( i clean my interior once every week) and in a different area each time. I just ordered some http://www.eshine.ca/lexol_leather_c...130.php?cat=23

and.....

http://www.eshine.ca/lexol_leather_c...132.php?cat=23

I will try this method when it arrives and hope things work out.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2011, 07:34 PM   #20
JayKay335i
Banned
Egypt
Rep
Drives: ///M323 DCT

You realize all that the magic eraser is is an abrasive pad. So basically you just scraped off some of the protective layer thats been applied to the leather. Sure, it may not look visually damaged but you give the potential of premature wear.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2011, 10:03 PM   #21
sy2767
Major
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayKay335i View Post
You realize all that the magic eraser is is an abrasive pad. So basically you just scraped off some of the protective layer thats been applied to the leather. Sure, it may not look visually damaged but you give the potential of premature wear.
If that happens than so be it, it will be gone in 2 years so i will consider this a lesson learned. Will not make the same mistake twice.

Last edited by sy2767; 04-09-2011 at 08:36 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2011, 03:18 AM   #22
TOGWT
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 630i

Finished leather has a thin urathane pigmented (colour) coating, which abrasive products will weaken.

Use specifically formulated products not household cleaners on finished leather, Magic eraser is formulated to remove marks (specifically crayon and ink) from painted wall surfaces not finished leather

Dye Transfer

Dye transfer (from jeans, leather belts, etc) can be very difficult to remove; the longer it is on the leather the harder it will be to remove. Clothing dye normally shows as a greyish bloom in seat area. This is usually caused by dark dye transferring from clothing. Particularly avoid brand new (i.e. never been washed) denim jeans, damp knitwear etc use

Is a common problem on lighter coloured Aniline leathers; on this type of leather anything that is allowed to permeate the leather may stain it permanently as it is not possible to clean out of leather.

Do not allow liquid to soak or ‘heat set’ into the leather, the longer dye transfer remains on the leather the harder it becomes to remove as the dye keeps permeating the finish on the leather. Once the dye has permeated the surface it can be very difficult to remove, but this can be avoided by regular cleaning and the use of a protector. The transferred dye will ‘sit’ on top of the protection and can then be cleaned off by regular cleaning.

If the dye has permeated then the finish should be softened to help release the dye (Leather Master Soft Touch) Using a strong solvent on leather that has a stain or dye transfer will do two things; cause the dye to ‘bleed’ further into the surface making it even more difficult to remove, and it may damage the finish requiring replacement.

As always with stain removal; start with the least invasive first.

• Leather Master Rapid S Cleaner (A-Aniline / Non-Coated) (P-Protected / Coated) is a concentrated cleaner specifically designed for automotive leather (including Nappa and Perforated) that have accumulated dirt, soil, and dye transfer and suntan or body oils.
• Isopropyl alcohol (IPA)
• A 1:1 solvent / detergent solution; d-limonene based (citrus) solvent (P21SŪ Total Auto Wash) and a slightly alkaline detergent.

If you have tried appropriate leather cleaning products with no success it does not mean that the products do not work simply that the problem is not a 'cleaning' one and the dye transfer is more severe or has been on too long.

The surface may require re-colouring with a very light pigment coating applied to recolor. This would not require a full recolor as long as you had a pigment that matched the leather.
Appreciate 0