E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Foam Gun (Cam Spray) For Maintenance washes

04-07-2011, 01:08 AM   #1
SuperBmw
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07 E92 335i

Foam Gun (Cam Spray) For Maintenance washes

So my 335i really doesn't get driven much. Maybe 100km a week (60miles). So it stays pretty clean after a wash as I only drive it for leisure or to run small errands.

However sometimes from weekend to weekend it has a small layer of dust or just minor dirt from the streets on the surface. It still looks pretty clean, but I've become pretty extreme after reading all about detailing.

I was wondering if using something like a foam gun with a pressure washer for a quick wash before going out on weekends would be a good way to maintain the car and give it a quick touch up before taking it out.

I think the car would come clean with this method, however my only concern is that I wouldn't be able to dry it off after since it's not 100% clean. If I parked it in a garage and wiped down all the windows am I likely to have issues with water spotting?

I just don't feel like doing a fulll wash every weekend so I was hoping to skip a weekend in between and use something quicker. It could also come in handy before going out on a date to have the car looking slightly more clean rather then having that layer of dust on the surface

I can't imagine washing the car with a full wash everytime before going out, but a quick foam wash would only take 10 minutes.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2011, 11:17 AM   #2
bimmertt
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2007 e92 335i

It will look cleaner with the dust...cars with water spots everywhere look horrible. I always have to dry my car after a wash.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2011, 11:26 AM   #3
Joonsup
Lieutenant General
South Korea
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, E30 325i

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [9.50]
If it's only a small lay of dust I would leave it alone until your next wash. In my opinion the risks are greater than the reward. The risks I see is 1) if you foam it and rinse it off and dry, it only takes a little dirt to produce fine scratches that might still be on the paint since you didn't use a wash mitt. And 2) if you don't dry the car, you'll have water spots unless you have pure water or it completely beads off the car's paint after rinse. That's what I think will happen
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2011, 11:46 AM   #4
dday
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 Alpine White 335 M-Sport

As others have said either full wash or don't wash, you're just going to end up with tons of water spots.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2011, 12:08 PM   #5
eekthecat
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 428i

I do a quick de-dusting wash every now and then using my pressure washer w/ soap dispenser... I just foam up the car, let it sit for a minute, then rinse off with the pressure washer. I do go over it with a blower afterwards though -- it gets about 90% of the water off of the car, and I can just dab a few spots to get the rest. I dunno if I'd do the same for my old JB coupe, but with my AW, it seems to be just fine.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2011, 09:29 AM   #6
drew4392
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '07 335i Sedan

I'd say what everybody else suggested-- wait until you wash it. OR... you can do your foam gun thing, then hit it with a CR Spotless. $150 for their least expensive one, but far fewer (if any) water spots will remain compared to regular hose water.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2011, 03:03 PM   #7
Detailed Image
United_States
Rep
Drives: Detailed by Detailed Image

If you want to do the option you mentioned you would need something like the CR Spotless which helps you wash safely without the fear of water marks. The Gilmour Foamaster II Foam Gun is also used with just regular hose pressure, a foam lance is used with a pressure washer.

Another option is washing very quickly with the Optimum No Rinse Wash & Shine New Formula (ONR). With this option you just use a bucket of water and no hose, I fill up the bucket with water filtered from inside my kitchen sink. We have several kits as well if interested:
DI Packages Optimum No Rinse (ONR) Washing and Drying Advanced Kit
DI Packages Basic Hose Free Wash Package with ONR
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2011, 12:59 AM   #8
SRanch335i
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Silver 2008 335I

im in the same situation; i have a 2008 with 13000 miles; dont drive much. Its been adams polished to a perfection but it collects dust in my garage. Here are my two cents

U cant just foam and rinse ur car; u gotta physically wipe ur paint and dry it. If u live anywhere near the 405 or the 5, ur gonna get grime on ur paint, period. I use my leaf blower to push most of the water off before drying; but if i want a waterless wipedown (which is rare) i use the california duster to get most of the heavy dust; i make sure only the duster hairs touch the car; if u lay the duster completely flat it will leave scratches. Then i will wipe in one direction with a edgeless microfiber with a waterless wash spray.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2011, 09:23 AM   #9
Raz335
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 Convertible

To the OP, the idea isn't bad if done properly. I'm not a professional detailer, but perhaps someone who is can give their opinion on my process:

The most important part is to always have a good layer of wax or sealant on the paint which is good at releasing dirt and dust. Collinite 476 is a good one for example. Rinse the car with a pressure washer and then foam the car. Once the foam has lifted the dust/dirt off the paint, re-rinse with the pressure washer. At this point, use a leaf blower to sweep the water off the car. Don't use a towel at all. As long as there's a slick surface, you'll get 80% of the water off with the blower. Remember, no rubbing, or dabbing with a towel. I don't see a problem with this.

Jerez Black/Fox E93 M3 - Prem 2/Cold/Conv/DCT/EDC/19's/Ext Lthr/Crbn Trim/Enhanced Sound/Sat
Mods- 20" BBS LM's DBK/Challenge Catback/Eibachs/Trim wrapped black/Lux Angel eyes/35% Tint
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2011, 12:31 PM   #10
Dr. G
Major General
Rep
Drives: Black e92 335i

Garage List
e92 BMW 335i  [8.84]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz335 View Post
To the OP, the idea isn't bad if done properly. I'm not a professional detailer, but perhaps someone who is can give their opinion on my process:

The most important part is to always have a good layer of wax or sealant on the paint which is good at releasing dirt and dust. Collinite 476 is a good one for example. Rinse the car with a pressure washer and then foam the car. Once the foam has lifted the dust/dirt off the paint, re-rinse with the pressure washer. At this point, use a leaf blower to sweep the water off the car. Don't use a towel at all. As long as there's a slick surface, you'll get 80% of the water off with the blower. Remember, no rubbing, or dabbing with a towel. I don't see a problem with this.

This is my plan of attack when my car gets dusty in my garage after a week of no driving.
JB4 / OSS Angel Eyes / Downpipes / F1-Racewerks FMIC / Custom Meth Kit / BMS DCI / ER Chargepipe / HKS BOV / BMS Meth Elbow / BMW Performance Exhaust / Carbon Fiber Inlay Quad Tips / 19" Miro 111 / Front Aero Lip / M3 Sides / VRS CSL Trunk / Mtech Rear / DD CF Quad Finned Diffuser / LCI Tails / BBK / Smoked Reflectors / F1 Euphoria LED Interior / License LED's / GT 5000k Corners / 5000k HID Fogs / Air Scoops / LED Turn Signals / FK Silverline Coilovers / HPA endlinks / Vibrant Resonators / Osram CBI 5000k D1S
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2011, 02:42 PM   #11
SRanch335i
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Silver 2008 335I

http://www.adamsforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6262

Check this out...hope it helps
Appreciate 0