E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > aftermarket haolgen bulbs pre lci

04-13-2011, 07:55 AM   #1
ray313
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 325i M sport

aftermarket haolgen bulbs pre lci

Hi

Has anybody changed their halogen bulbs on here for some aftermarket ones? Is it worth it?

Any recommendations on bulbs that will give a bright crisp white light?
I'm looking at PIAA or phillips at the moment.

Also just to check, the size is h7 right?

thanks!
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2011, 08:28 AM   #2
TomF32
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW/640d/M-Sport

Garage List
2005 e90  [0.00]
Hi ray, yup I changed mine to philips "xtreme bright" or something to that effect? (il check exactly). They promised >80% improvement which I thought was a bit optimistic?! They were certainly an improvement but not hugely better - maybe my expectations were a bit high? I noticed a better light while driving but doesnt appear different when looking a the car from the outside - which I wanted anyway.

And yes the fitment is H7!
Hope it helps somewhat?
The reason I bought them was due to autoexpress recommendation. With so many products it's hard to make your mind up without trying them yourself!

Tom
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2011, 09:48 AM   #3
parapaul
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E91 330d M Sport

Garage List
I've always heard PIAA bulbs are the best you can get. Never tried them or seen any in real life though.

Osram Nightbreakers or Phlips Super Extreme Brillance White Power (or whatever they're called) are the usual suspects.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2011, 09:52 AM   #4
ray313
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 325i M sport

thanks Tom!

were they easy to fit?? the DIY on here says that the bulbs are reachable by going through the wheel arch.

I think I might spend a little bit more on the PIAA Xtreme White ones in that case. i only ever hear good things about them!
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2011, 10:01 AM   #5
mowflow
Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: Golf 7R

I did the same as Tom and found the same. Not as yellow and just a little bit brighter.

The H7s are pretty easy to change but then I've got a tiny engine and could work from above as well as the wheel arch. Turn your wheels full lock to access the hatch rather than removing the wheel. I found the hardest part was getting the cover back on the back of the light, that took me about twice as long as fitting the bulbs.
      04-13-2011, 10:06 AM   #6
SixDegrees
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M135i

Garage List
2011 Abarth 500  [0.00]
I changed to Osram Nightbreaker Plus on my Audi last summer and they're a great improvement, so much so I ordered some for the BM. They turned up a day after the BM died and was carted off the dealer... so haven't fitted them to the BM yet.

Fitment for mine is under the wheel arch, but I've already taken one out to check iot as the gas has gone so its quite dim compared to the other. I'll be fitting them as soon as I get the car back and will let you know what I think.

As for my Audi, before they were yellowish and not as bright as the BM, now they are whiter, brighter and have a very subtle glint of blue in the middle, nothing like the boy-racer nasty blue-shite they seem to favour but oh-so Xenon-ish, 95% white with 5% blue, spot on IMO so hoping for the very same improvement on the BM

2007 [57] 320d M-Sport Touring
Pre 2007 - GT TDI 4MO, Mk4 R32, A3 TQ, A3T, Cupra R and on and on and on.....
Appreciate 0