E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Trying to make sure I have this right before i purchase my products

04-21-2011, 10:59 AM   #1
benjimatt
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i

Trying to make sure I have this right before i purchase my products

So I have a Black 328i and the last owner didnt take care of the paint very well. So its at the detailer right now getting a few things fixed and getting all shined up.

Once this is done I really want to take better care of it than the last guy did. After doing research this is what ive came up with (BTW I live in an apartment complex and I have no garage and this is my daily driver)

128 oz of optimum no rinse (I figure ill try to was at least once every two weeks)

ONR mixed QD (for quick cleaning such as bird poop)

Some kind of dedicated QD (hoping to apply this when im washing the car and not applying the wax)

Optimum Car Wax (Help protect paint, going to apply once a month after the wash)

Does this sound good so far??
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2011, 07:00 PM   #2
Ridonculous
1 Addict
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

Waxing is good for the car, but I see in your steps that you don't have sealant listed. If you have no garage and the car is at the detailer, I think you should ask the detailer if and what kind of sealant he is applying to your car.

Since your car will be exposed to the elements much more than a car stored in a garage, I suggest using a sealant will be of more value to you than wax because sealants last and protect much longer than waxes do (a few months vs a few weeks). Alternatively, you can top a layer of sealant with wax for even more shine.

A black car will look amazing with Blackfire sealant (highly used on black cars). If you want to add a layer of wax on top of it, just make sure to wait 24 hours to let the sealant cure.

Sounds like you need to learn much more about washing and maintaing a car. There is much more needed that just the chemicals you listed such as getting 2 buckets and grit gaurds, microfiber towels, etc.

Aside from searching these forums, I recommend going on detailedimage.com and they have lots of articles and writeups on the proper way to clean and maintain your vehicle.

If the detailer that is servicing your car right now really knows what he's doing, then he should be more than happy to answer your questions and teach you how to properly maintain your car.

Just my 2 cents....good luck!
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2011, 07:34 PM   #3
Detailed Image
United_States
Rep
Drives: Detailed by Detailed Image

I like your overall game plan. The Optimum No Rinse Wash & Shine New Formula (ONR) is a life saver for those in apartments and it should be perfect for you. We have several kits with this item if interested.
DI Packages Optimum No Rinse (ONR) Washing and Drying Advanced Kit
DI Packages Optimum No Rinse (ONR) Washing and Drying Kit
DI Packages Basic Hose Free Wash Package with ONR

The Optimum Instant Detailer & Gloss Enhancer is great for quick cleanings that add just a little bit of shine to the paint.

The Optimum Car Wax is great but I'd also encourage you to look at the Optimum Opti-Seal & Free Yellow Foam Applicator. It applies faster, since no removal is needed, and it protects longer.

Let me know if you have any other questions I'd be happy to help!

Greg @ DI
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2011, 04:10 PM   #4
mv57
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90

i have used opti seal too and love it.

I have just ordered FK425 which is a qd off the back of a lot of good right ups.

E9X Picture game / 5 MPH / double bhp / The Beatles zebra crossing / Gordon Ramsays restaurant / Michelin star /
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2011, 06:14 PM   #5
benjimatt
Private
Rep

So I ended up ordering from detailedimage lol
Optimum No Rinse Wash & Shine New Formula (ONR)
1 Optimum Instant Detailer & Gloss Enhancer
1 Optimum Car Wax

I was just listing stuff that I had to order. Im pretty sure I can get microfiber towels locally and the same with the buckets and the sponges. But im not really sure about the grit guard. Is that something that is usually not seen locally?

Now you guys have me a little confused on the sealant vs wax thing. I thought that if you used a wax and your at a place where you will be exposed to a lot of elements that you must use it monthly because a wax is weaker that A sealant.

Basically I thought you use one or the other.....
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2011, 10:55 PM   #6
Ridonculous
1 Addict
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

Grit guards can be found locally if you have a pro detailing supply store nearby - you won't find it at Autozone or Walmart.

Sealants and waxes can be used separately or together. They are both last step products that offer protection and shine. Most detail enthusiasts prefer to use both after a car is polished - sealant applied first, allow it to cure, then wax.

But you don't need to use both. The reason I recommend sealant for you instead of wax is because sealant lasts longer which will be of more benefit to you more since your car is stored outside and exposed to the elements more.

If you prefer wax, by all means go with wax as your last step product. You'll just need to reapply it more often than sealant throughout the year.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2011, 11:26 PM   #7
benjimatt
Private
Rep

I figure ill be washing the car every two weeks and one week putting the detailer on it and the other waxing it. It seems like the spray waxes are pretty easy to apply anyways.

I think in about 6 months when I detail it again ill go ahead and throw a nice sealant on it. But right now the car is nice and shiny. All its missing is some 19" rims!!!!!
Appreciate 0