E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > foam guns? Please give me your 2 cents

04-25-2011, 08:43 AM   #1
Raja Ventureshield
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 coupe

foam guns? Please give me your 2 cents

i had one that broke and looking ot get a new one.

which one would you recommend?

also any word of advise on these?
http://detailersdomain.com/carcarepr...urFoamGun.html GilmourFoamGun

or

http://www.autogeek.net/woqufofogun.html wolfgang which has 5 settings

thanks!
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2011, 09:10 AM   #2
fisherbln
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Coupe

I have the wolfgang one. If I'm not mistaken, Gilmour makes the wolfgang one anyway (although it looks like the one you linked is slightly different). I use the max setting on my wolfgang and have rarely bother to adjust it.
      04-25-2011, 10:47 AM   #3
smack
Lieutenant Colonel
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW's/Flex Polishers

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisherbln View Post
I have the wolfgang one. If I'm not mistaken, Gilmour makes the wolfgang one anyway (although it looks like the one you linked is slightly different). I use the max setting on my wolfgang and have rarely bother to adjust it.
I have the same unit although mine is the original Gilmour unit. I think Gilmour makes the one for Wolfgang as well.

Anyways I always use it and leave it on the highest setting when using.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2011, 11:47 AM   #4
bimmertt
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2007 e92 335i

do these even work well?

from what I have seen on videos, it looks like all the foam falls off before you can even get a mitt to it.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2011, 12:30 PM   #5
cisach
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Coupe BSM/CR

Garage List
2007 335i Coupe  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmertt View Post
do these even work well?

from what I have seen on videos, it looks like all the foam falls off before you can even get a mitt to it.
I think you still use soap/bucket mit method - the foam is just to break/loosen up dirt and to soak the vehicle for extra lubrication ....
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2011, 12:37 PM   #6
Raja Ventureshield
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 coupe

I purchased the Wolfgang one this morning. It has 5 different setting allowing you to do different ratios. I will post once I get it in my hand and do a few cars.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2011, 12:39 PM   #7
fisherbln
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by cisach View Post
I think you still use soap/bucket mit method - the foam is just to break/loosen up dirt and to soak the vehicle for extra lubrication ....
This is how I use mine. Just extra insurance to help prevent swirls.
      04-25-2011, 12:47 PM   #8
smack
Lieutenant Colonel
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cisach View Post
You dont have to use the 2 bucket method when using the foam gun as the gun can take the place of the wash bucket.

When I use my foam gun, I presoak the car and empty my container and let the foam dwell on the surface to break up the dirt on the vehicle. Afterwards I rinse the surface clean and then go over the car with the 2 bucket method. That way the majority of the dirt has been broken down and washed off the vehicle before I drag my wash media over the finish.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2011, 12:56 PM   #9
Lenaxia
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330xi 6MT

Garage List
2006 330xi  [0.00]
honestly, if you can spare the extra cash, get a cheap compressor and get one of the real foam guns if you plan on washing your car more than once a month.

I use my gilmour regularly and its kind of frustrating because the foam doesn't cling well at all. It's gone fairly quickly even on the highest setting with extra amounts of concentrated soap.

I pretty much do what smack does, except instead of the 2 bucket method, I refill the foam gun and respray each panel immediately before I scrub it down.

I will be purchasing a real foam gun here soon.
      04-25-2011, 02:24 PM   #10
smack
Lieutenant Colonel
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenaxia View Post
honestly, if you can spare the extra cash, get a cheap compressor and get one of the real foam guns if you plan on washing your car more than once a month.

I use my gilmour regularly and its kind of frustrating because the foam doesn't cling well at all. It's gone fairly quickly even on the highest setting with extra amounts of concentrated soap.

I pretty much do what smack does, except instead of the 2 bucket method, I refill the foam gun and respray each panel immediately before I scrub it down.

I will be purchasing a real foam gun here soon.
Im in the same boat as you on the foaming action of the Gilmour unit. I would love to have shave cream style foam but I think its kind of a hassle to get the pressure washer out to run it. Not not mention all the extra hose and power cord needed to run a pressure washer. Im sure I will get the pressure version of the foam gun as I all ready have a pressure washer to use. I just need the foam cannon.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2011, 03:26 PM   #11
MuttGrunt
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: beater;)

Both of the products linked were the same thing; one was just re-badged.

The biggest downside of the Gilmore foam gun is how much product you burn though. They suck up A LOT of content out of the bottle and only produce marginal amounts of foam. Even still, they can be cool and nifty to have around. Anyone with a dog / horse / larger animal should give it a try in washing your pet: works amazingly well. I've seen these re-badged for use on washing horses and have found it to be the perfect tool in giving my dog a bath. As a bonus, she doesn't mind it nearly as much so it's less hassle.

A pressure washer is needed for use with a foam cannon, but you don't need a huge, bulky, expensive gas powered unit: I'd recommend looking into a refurbished Karcher unit for $80-120.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2011, 05:29 PM   #12
Dr. G
Major General
Rep
Drives: Black e92 335i

Garage List
e92 BMW 335i  [8.84]
Pressure Washer + Camspray = Worth it
JB4 / OSS Angel Eyes / Downpipes / F1-Racewerks FMIC / Custom Meth Kit / BMS DCI / ER Chargepipe / HKS BOV / BMS Meth Elbow / BMW Performance Exhaust / Carbon Fiber Inlay Quad Tips / 19" Miro 111 / Front Aero Lip / M3 Sides / VRS CSL Trunk / Mtech Rear / DD CF Quad Finned Diffuser / LCI Tails / BBK / Smoked Reflectors / F1 Euphoria LED Interior / License LED's / GT 5000k Corners / 5000k HID Fogs / Air Scoops / LED Turn Signals / FK Silverline Coilovers / HPA endlinks / Vibrant Resonators / Osram CBI 5000k D1S
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2011, 06:05 PM   #13
lpphreakx06
Professional Moose Racer
Vietnam
Rep
Drives: SG 335i E92 RIP + 2015 SS M3

It's only good for marginal foam, once I feel like it's worth it I will get the cam spray unit.

BMW Dream Team PNW Chapter, member #1
|HP Autowerks | AR DESIGN | BMW PERFORMANCE | STOP TECH | Volk Racing| AMS | ARKYM
Appreciate 0