E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > DTC Failure, Warranty and where I stand

04-26-2011, 09:16 AM   #1
LexS
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 320d M Sport

DTC Failure, Warranty and where I stand

Afternoon all. I have a 320d which has just rolled over 5yo and the DTC failure has risen its ugly head. I'm betting its a pressure sensor failure in the abs pump or a rear wheel speed sensor. Either way, I just booked the car in and have been told its covered until June by BMW extended warranty, a nice surprise seeing as the first Sytner dealer didn't care to mention this to me.

Now, does this mean BMW will pay for everything fault related such as diagnosis, parts and labour? Or is this into the realms of goodwill and a big headache?

Also, when I purchase the car in February a Warranty Wise cover was supplied by the garage until August. Has anyone had experience of getting BMW and warranty to see eye to eye on paying bills?

Thanks for any help, I normal fix cars myself so this warranty malarkey is totally new to me
      04-26-2011, 09:47 AM   #2
bmwak
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 440i M-Sport Gran Coupe

It should be covered in the extended BMW warranty but you may have to pay an excess i believe.

Regarding the third party warranty - I had this go when I had my 1 Series (same engine e.t.c.) and turned out it needed a new DTC/DSC unit. Like you, it was under third party warranty. Before you authorise any work, you need to have initial diagnosis done by BMW and get them to phone the warranty company to approve the claim.

I think BMW have since launched a 'fix' which costs marginally less, but back when I had mine 1 Series one go, it meant a whole new replacement at a cost of just over £2k. My warranty company came out to inspect the car then they authorised the claim. The dealer did the work but I had to settle the bill and claim it back from the warranty company as BMW wouldn't accept payment from the warranty company.

If you settle with BMW directly and claim from Warrantywise, be sure to get it from them in writing as the payment does take a while to come through (via cheque).

Hope this helps.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2011, 09:49 AM   #3
doughboy
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 Comp 6MT

If the previous owner paid for BMW extended warranty, then provided you've stuck to the rules (i.e. 100% franchised dealer for all servicing, no mods etc) then they should cover whatever is included in the policy (you'd need to check the level of cover bought by the previous owner).

If the used car dealer gave you another warranty then that might come in handy if BMW won't cover yours, otherwise don't mention it.

Are you sure about the dates? If the car is just over 5 years old then it must now be in its SIXTH year of warranty (3 years factory + 1yr BMW ext + 1yr BMW ext + 1yr BMW ext) as BMW don't usually allow gaps in their cover, you have to run them back to back.

So how come it runs out in June?? Who told you this? BMW? If so get them to confirm the level of cover, there are 3 levels I think?
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2011, 11:33 AM   #4
Fox530
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M340i xDrive

You've lucked in - if the car is covered by BMW warranty forget warranty wise and whatever you do, renew the BMW cover in June!

BMW do allow gaps in cover, btw.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2011, 12:20 PM   #5
rabble
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: e93 330i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by doughboy View Post

Are you sure about the dates? If the car is just over 5 years old then it must now be in its SIXTH year of warranty (3 years factory + 1yr BMW ext + 1yr BMW ext + 1yr BMW ext) as BMW don't usually allow gaps in their cover, you have to run them back to back.

So how come it runs out in June?? Who told you this? BMW? If so get them to confirm the level of cover, there are 3 levels I think?
you can have gaps after the initial warranty expires, it doesnt have to be extended when original runs out so as long as it has FSH and bmw parts etc...

I took out a bmw warranty on my old car 2 years after it had run out. the only downside is its bloody expensive if you do but it did save my life when warranty work needed done.

to the OP: if they said your covered til june then depending on which cover you have (comprehensive, named component or driveline) you may not have to pay a penny (unless theres excess or not covered).

They can charge you a diagnostic fee if they dont find anything but from your post, its obvious theres a problem so they can reclaim all their costs from the warranty company themselves (u dont usually have to do anything but again thats only if your covered).

This is just from my experience btw.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2011, 01:13 PM   #6
LexS
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Thanks for the replies everyone. It seems like if BMW won't cover me the other warranty may help to pick up the tab.

I phoned Sytner and they said it was covered until June. I didn't have a clue it was still in warranty so I guess it won't hurt but I'll find out what level I have tomorrow and assess the damage.
      04-26-2011, 01:35 PM   #7
Tippo
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Mk2 TT V6 quattro

If the extended warranty is comprehensive then it will be covered.

Would have thought a dealer one would be so I reckon you have nothing to worry about mate.

DTC and Turbo failures are the reason why I now have a full comprehensive extended warranty in place.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2011, 12:34 PM   #8
LexS
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

For anyone searching for something like this later the resolution is that the car gets fixed for free

Turns out the car was brought buy the previous owner in June 2010 with a 2 year approved used warranty which i'm told covers major components such as dtc, turbo, injectors etc.

The fault was the abs pump pressure sensor, I.E, the common teves mk60 failure.
      04-28-2011, 02:09 AM   #9
doughboy
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabble View Post
you can have gaps after the initial warranty expires, it doesnt have to be extended when original runs out so as long as it has FSH and bmw parts etc...
OK.

But when my last E90 came up 3 years old I had the letter from BMW just prior to 3 yrs, then they phoned me telling me i only had 30 days from expiry of the factory warranty to take up the extended warranty or else that was it as it had to run back to back.????
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2011, 03:21 AM   #10
xenon
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: 2021 G21 330i M-Sport

I had the same letter recently, DB. Scare tactics I think as others have been able to sucessfully initiate extended warranty despite a lapse.
Previous: 2018 A6 Avant S-Line MMI+, 2014 F31 320d M-Sport, 2013 F10 520d M-Sport, 2011 F10 530d M-Sport, 2008 320i M-Sport Coupe, 2002 325i, 2001 318i valvetronic, 1998 318i, 1996 525i, 1990 Porsche 944S2
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2011, 03:42 AM   #11
doughboy
Major General
Rep

Gasp!

Respectable leading brand using improper scare tactics?

And I thought dealers were such honest chaps?
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2011, 01:30 PM   #12
Tippo
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Mk2 TT V6 quattro

Quote:
Originally Posted by xenon View Post
I had the same letter recently, DB. Scare tactics I think as others have been able to sucessfully initiate extended warranty despite a lapse.
Yep me for a start. Had a letter last year when mine finished back in Sep.

Don't remember it giving me a deadline though. Just started mine last month with no probs.

Less than 60k miles on the clock and FSH at dealers probably helped though.
Appreciate 0