E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Le Mans Blue detaining question

05-06-2011, 11:33 PM   #1
sjones0812
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 328ic

Le Mans Blue detaining question

Since it has been a long time since I have had a new car I am going to toss out all my old cleaning crap and start new.

I just picked up a Le Mans Blue e93.

I just want to get ready for my first detail session.

My main question is what is the best wax or sealer to use for this color.

I don't mind waxing...but would like something that would last longer and be more durable.

I think I am OK from searching on mitts and soap.

I am always open for recommendations.

I plan on either hand washing or going to a touchless car wash (I think it's a laser) and then detailing.

I also have black leather interior, what would be good for the average cleaning of dirt/ scuffs.

Thanks in advance.
      05-07-2011, 12:21 AM   #2
L3O710
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 Mustang GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjones0812 View Post
Since it has been a long time since I have had a new car I am going to toss out all my old cleaning crap and start new.

I just picked up a Le Mans Blue e93.

I just want to get ready for my first detail session.

My main question is what is the best wax or sealer to use for this color.

I don't mind waxing...but would like something that would last longer and be more durable.

I think I am OK from searching on mitts and soap.

I am always open for recommendations.

I plan on either hand washing or going to a touchless car wash (I think it's a laser) and then detailing.

I also have black leather interior, what would be good for the average cleaning of dirt/ scuffs.

Thanks in advance.
check out the stickied topics..
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2011, 01:37 PM   #3
jopa489
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Anything with Wheels

A touchless/laser wash won't leave the car clean enough to do any detailing work. Definitely hand wash it yourself before detailing.

I would recommended BFWD sealant for its excellent finish and durability. You could put a layer of wax on top after it cures, but it's certainly not required. BFWD leaves a very nice shine.

Leatherique (Rejuventator Oil / Prestine Clean) is the best stuff out there for leather, but sometimes overkill for normal cleaning. For routine cleaning, I like PB Leather Stuff. It's easy to work with and smells great. Both of these products will leave the leather feeling/looking "new", not greasy or "dressed".

A few of us local Boston guys are into detailing and have lots of products, myself included. So if you want any local advice, post up in the NE forum or chat thread.

X7 LCI // Incoming
C7 ZR1 ZTK // Sebring + TRX // Hydro + Raptor Gen1 Roush // Tuxedo
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2011, 02:37 PM   #4
DetailAddict
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 328i

pm'd
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2011, 09:06 PM   #5
MuttGrunt
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: beater;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jopa489 View Post
A touchless/laser wash won't leave the car clean enough to do any detailing work. Definitely hand wash it yourself before detailing.

I would recommended BFWD sealant for its excellent finish and durability. You could put a layer of wax on top after it cures, but it's certainly not required. BFWD leaves a very nice shine.

Leatherique (Rejuventator Oil / Prestine Clean) is the best stuff out there for leather, but sometimes overkill for normal cleaning. For routine cleaning, I like PB Leather Stuff. It's easy to work with and smells great. Both of these products will leave the leather feeling/looking "new", not greasy or "dressed".

A few of us local Boston guys are into detailing and have lots of products, myself included. So if you want any local advice, post up in the NE forum or chat thread.
Always nice to have some local help; these are the type of guys that can help keep you from making a mistake from the get-go while helping you to achieve the results your looking for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetailAddict View Post
pm'd
^ Don't sleep on Leo/Nick/the good fellows at Detail Addict. If you're looking for quality while maintaining simplicity in a one-stop shop, you might have found the perfect source.

Surely read the stickies and the last few pages of postings here: most answers you have at this point will quickly be answered.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2011, 09:12 PM   #6
zachar3
Captain
Rep
Drives: e92 328i

I used supernatural on a purple colored car that looks similar to the blue and it is fantastic.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2011, 10:02 PM   #7
sorryiwasnapping
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '12 VW GTI

Everyone has added great information here. I cannot add too much to it as the cars i detail tend to be either white or black. and though i've not used it, i've heard GREAT things (and it's on my "to buy list") about Black Fire Wet Diamond.

Also something very important that will have been touched on in the stickies 3453462 times, but just to stress it: Get 2 5-gallon buckets (super cheap at say a Home Depot) and 2 Grit Guards for your hand washing (3 is even better!).

best of luck and congrats on the new car
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2011, 10:30 PM   #8
sjones0812
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 328ic

Thanks everyone....will reach out to the people who offered to help.

After reading the stickies, I think a sealer might be the best option.