E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Help me pick a gun

05-20-2011, 03:15 PM   #1
frozenfire
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i SG

Help me pick a gun

[question background]With my dad nearing retirement age, he is looking to take up new hobbies. he has always wanted to learn how paint cars. he is in his 50's and will probably not be doing this as a pro or to make income of it. But more than likely he will buy a fastback stang or a 68 camaro and try to restore it himself as a project (he is pretty good as a mechanic as he used to work at a shop in his mid 20's) but has never done painting

The other day he was saying how he wants to buy a paint gun to take it up now that he is having more free time, and he sounded pretty excited about it.
The down side, he doesnt know what to buy (and neither do I) with father's day comming up I figured I could get him one as a present. I've been researching around and can really decide [/question background]

what would be a good purchase

What do you guys think as far as paint guns go? HPLV, LPLV etc? and what brands are most popular and what place do people buy them at? I would prefer to buy him a kit with at least 3 nozzles that go from 1.3-1.8 (or something similar) for primer, base, and clear.

I really dont have much knowledge on this, I am an accountant for a living. As for a budget, I would like to keep it $500 ish, but if that is unresonably low for a quality gun maybe under $1,000.

Sorry for the long post. Thanks for any help!
      05-20-2011, 05:23 PM   #2
MuttGrunt
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: beater;)

Sata is likely the most popular brand. A good gun will cost you, but then you still need a good compressor that can handle the pressure / volume, and other things as well.

I learned on a HVLP, and I can tell you that painting well is VERY tough. Of course I have very high standards, but regardless, it takes a lot of practice and know-how. Goodluck in your research!
Appreciate 0