E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Sealant on wheels before mounting Tires

07-09-2011, 09:12 PM   #1
Dr. G
Major General
Rep
Drives: Black e92 335i

Garage List
e92 BMW 335i  [8.84]
Sealant on wheels before mounting Tires

I'm not sure what is done during the process of mounting tires onto wheels, but would any of the process strip the sealant off my wheels.

I was going to do 2 layers of blackfire wet diamond on my wheels to protect them and make them easier to clean. Wondering if I should get my tires mounted before I apply the sealant or if it makes no difference.
JB4 / OSS Angel Eyes / Downpipes / F1-Racewerks FMIC / Custom Meth Kit / BMS DCI / ER Chargepipe / HKS BOV / BMS Meth Elbow / BMW Performance Exhaust / Carbon Fiber Inlay Quad Tips / 19" Miro 111 / Front Aero Lip / M3 Sides / VRS CSL Trunk / Mtech Rear / DD CF Quad Finned Diffuser / LCI Tails / BBK / Smoked Reflectors / F1 Euphoria LED Interior / License LED's / GT 5000k Corners / 5000k HID Fogs / Air Scoops / LED Turn Signals / FK Silverline Coilovers / HPA endlinks / Vibrant Resonators / Osram CBI 5000k D1S
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2011, 10:03 PM   #2
NiVeDh
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E90 335i, '99 E36 M3

Garage List
I would get the tires mounted first.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2011, 11:56 AM   #3
Fozzy
Waaka Waaka
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 xdrive & 2015 F15

If Possible apply sealant first. So much easier and you can get the hard to reach spots.
Then reapply once on the car in the typical reachable areas.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2011, 10:28 AM   #4
Black Sheep
A Zip an a Double Cup
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 135i

Seal them first

PTF Tuned | RB's | AMS FMIC | AR DP's | HPF Exhaust | CP-E DCI | Apex Arc 8's | 235/275 Star Specs |
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2011, 04:55 PM   #5
NiVeDh
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E90 335i, '99 E36 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fozzy View Post
If Possible apply sealant first. So much easier and you can get the hard to reach spots.
Then reapply once on the car in the typical reachable areas.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Budz135i View Post
Seal them first
Not sure if you guys read the original post but he's not talking about putting the wheels on the car. He wants to know if he should put sealant on them before getting the tires mounted on the wheels.

There is really no point in sealing the wheels before getting the tires put on. The tire shop will use grease and physical force which may strip off the sealant anyway.

Personally, I would get the tires mounted first. Then, apply sealant to the wheels. Finally, mount them on the car.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2011, 09:00 PM   #6
Envious Eric
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: nissan xterra, 335 soon

^^^^^ agreed! There is no point to sealing the area that is covered by the tire anyway. Are they large spoked wheels? if so, then you can easily reach your hand in there and apply/remove. If tight spokes, then remove the wheel from the car if you want to seal them! Personally, I would rather opti-coat them over BFWD if that is an option.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2011, 09:06 PM   #7
Dr. G
Major General
Rep
Drives: Black e92 335i

Garage List
e92 BMW 335i  [8.84]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Envious Eric View Post
^^^^^ agreed! There is no point to sealing the area that is covered by the tire anyway. Are they large spoked wheels? if so, then you can easily reach your hand in there and apply/remove. If tight spokes, then remove the wheel from the car if you want to seal them! Personally, I would rather opti-coat them over BFWD if that is an option.
Yeah I was planning on just sealing the face and inner barrel. I have either BFWD/Natty Blue or I can buy some wheel wax so those are my current options. Thought since I already had so much BFWD I should just use it. I have dustless pads so brake dust won't be an issue, I'll just be cleaning minor splashing and such from the minimal driving this car receives.

Thanks for the responses guys, appreciate it.
JB4 / OSS Angel Eyes / Downpipes / F1-Racewerks FMIC / Custom Meth Kit / BMS DCI / ER Chargepipe / HKS BOV / BMS Meth Elbow / BMW Performance Exhaust / Carbon Fiber Inlay Quad Tips / 19" Miro 111 / Front Aero Lip / M3 Sides / VRS CSL Trunk / Mtech Rear / DD CF Quad Finned Diffuser / LCI Tails / BBK / Smoked Reflectors / F1 Euphoria LED Interior / License LED's / GT 5000k Corners / 5000k HID Fogs / Air Scoops / LED Turn Signals / FK Silverline Coilovers / HPA endlinks / Vibrant Resonators / Osram CBI 5000k D1S
Appreciate 0