E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > How long would it take to fix?

07-13-2011, 04:15 PM   #1
NJ Krish
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bmw 328xi 2008 Coupe

Garage List
2008 Bmw 328xi  [10.00]
How long would it take to fix?

I don't know if this would be the right place but I wanted opinions on this. I was recently in a Hit and run accident yesterday. I have a Bmw 328xi Coupe 2008. The person was trying to exit out of dunkin donuts entrance onto traffic going north bound (2 lanes) so that person can go south bound (2 lanes) divided by 2 solid lines. Our lanes had a green light and the person decided to hit the gas to reach the other side thru traffic and hit the back of my car.. Resulting in this...

When I got out to see what happened, the person was already speeding off in the other direction with cars behind him/her..

Horrible day... The police report was given along with a license plate number, make and model. I was pretty dazed due to air bads deploying on the passenger front and back so yes inside is screwed up too.. As I await the cops to find person and give me a report to give to the insurance group, anyone got thoughts on how long it would take to fix this? and a guesstimate on how much it would cost. Since it was a hit and run I need the other persons insurance info or I will have to pay my deductible to get it fixed :|
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2011, 04:22 PM   #2
dday
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 Alpine White 335 M-Sport

So you got the plate number of the car? Honestly as long as you have that you should be in ok shape.

For now just take it to a good shop and get an estimate, it's going to be thousands of dollars, but that's what insurance is for. You may have to pay your deductible in the short term but once they get the guy you'll get that back.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2011, 04:35 PM   #3
NJ Krish
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 Bmw 328xi  [10.00]
Only thing is since my parents are away, I'm stuck with paying the deductible myself. Which I can not at the moment due to me paying for school already. Also since the officer is off for next few days, I have to wait until Monday for final report from officer and if there will be insurance from the other person. My insurance group is sending someone to estimate the cost until the final report is obtained.

Also do you think that I can get them to pay for new wheels as well? The other vehicle hit the wheels and the rims are all scratched up, and the those are the expensive ones.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2011, 05:55 PM   #4
dday
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Njzkrish View Post
Only thing is since my parents are away, I'm stuck with paying the deductible myself. Which I can not at the moment due to me paying for school already. Also since the officer is off for next few days, I have to wait until Monday for final report from officer and if there will be insurance from the other person. My insurance group is sending someone to estimate the cost until the final report is obtained.

Also do you think that I can get them to pay for new wheels as well? The other vehicle hit the wheels and the rims are all scratched up, and the those are the expensive ones.
Any damage to your car is covered, that includes the wheels. Do you have a credit card you can put your deductible on? Or just phone your parents and have them give a body shop a credit card?

You're obviously pretty young, but I think you're over thinking this a little bit.

Have your insurance check it out, get it to a good shop, have them start looking at it and go from there.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2011, 02:33 AM   #5
NJ Krish
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 Bmw 328xi  [10.00]
Yes I'm young I turned 23 yesterday ^_^.

The issue is money is tight as this was really unexpected. I have no way to cough up the deductible for another few weeks. My parents aren't really willing to help pay since I'm the one who decided to get this baby. Might sound messed up but they think it is a lesson lol.

I am over thinking this and its driving me crazy, I don't even know if they would consider this fixable? Or would they claim it as totaled. I don't want to end up having to pay for anything at all. Also The officer never called back and she wont be in until Monday so I have no way of knowing if they caught the person or not. Since shes off for 4 days, who knows where the person can be and what repairs they may have done by then.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2011, 11:03 AM   #6
ceb
NHTSA Nazi
Rep
Drives: 335ix

I don't understand. You have the plate number and are getting a police report that will identify the insurance company of the other driver. File a claim with them.

Ask in your local forums about the best bodyshop in town and take it to them. Have them deal with the insurance company. It won't cost you anything if it happened like you described.

Oh - don't forget that the insurance owes you a rental for the duration of the repair.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2011, 12:42 AM   #7
Darkfox2002
yummy
United_States
Rep
Drives: Sparkling Graphite 328i

Garage List
2008 BMW 328i  [0.00]
2014 328I  [0.00]
well i dont know about the body but i can tell you that if the airbags deployed your easily looking at a couple grand... since you have the plate number the cops will get the person for sure, maybe just wait for that to happen and just borrow your parents car or get rides from people in the mean time.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2011, 04:28 PM   #8
NJ Krish
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 Bmw 328xi  [10.00]
So here's the update, cops found the person and got all the info. She even admitted it by trying to lie saying she had no idea there was damage at the crash so she left.... >___>

So now we got the insurance info on the police record (Which I can pick up on monday) and the fact that she admitted it happened by trying to deny it.

So question is, since I already started the process with my insurance (getting the claim and estimate from visual inspection) should I continue with my insurance and just have them get the money from other persons insurance? Or should I go to the body shop and have this worked out with other persons insurance (Have no idea what it is)
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2011, 04:36 PM   #9
dday
Captain
Rep

Quote:
So here's the update, cops found the person and got all the info. She even admitted it by trying to lie saying she had no idea there was damage at the crash so she left.... >___>

So now we got the insurance info on the police record (Which I can pick up on monday) and the fact that she admitted it happened by trying to deny it.

So question is, since I already started the process with my insurance (getting the claim and estimate from visual inspection) should I continue with my insurance and just have them get the money from other persons insurance? Or should I go to the body shop and have this worked out with other persons insurance (Have no idea what it is)
Your insurance will take care of everything. They will get the other persons insurance company to pay. You really don't need to do much at all here, your insurance doesn't want to pay out money so they will do all the legwork to get the other person insurance to pay. Contact them with all the details you just told us, they'll probably get a copy of the police report etc.

Your insurance company is on your side here so leverage them.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2011, 05:44 PM   #10
ceb
NHTSA Nazi
Rep
Drives: 335ix

Quote:

At this point you have little choice. You'll need to pay your deductible and wait until they get paid from the other insurance to get your money back.

If you don't have rental on your policy then you won't get a rental (at least not without much argument)

Next time wait for the police report.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2011, 11:43 PM   #11
NJ Krish
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 Bmw 328xi  [10.00]
Whats happening now Is that I am going through the other persons insurance, which is geico so i dont have issues with my insurance. Everything is getting started and rental reservations have been set. But I was given an option. I can go to my own body shop.. Or take it to the geico auto repair xpress shops with all the guarantees they give for future problems after repair.

Anyone here from NJ know about Woodbridge Auto body? Or should I go with my own Body shop. I don't know ones in Nj but seems as though Geico will take a longer process to do it at another body shop outside the ARX. Also I have no idea how good the place Bmw dealership recommended.

Last edited by NJ Krish; 07-18-2011 at 11:52 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2011, 06:28 AM   #12
dday
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Whats happening now Is that I am going through the other persons insurance, which is geico so i dont have issues with my insurance. Everything is getting started and rental reservations have been set. But I was given an option. I can go to my own body shop.. Or take it to the geico auto repair xpress shops with all the guarantees they give for future problems after repair.

Anyone here from NJ know about Woodbridge Auto body? Or should I go with my own Body shop. I don't know ones in Nj but seems as though Geico will take a longer process to do it at another body shop outside the ARX. Also I have no idea how good the place Bmw dealership recommended.
I would take it to a shop that has a good reputation that you trust
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2011, 08:14 AM   #13
NJ Krish
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 Bmw 328xi  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dday View Post
I would take it to a shop that has a good reputation that you trust
Ok I set it up for a body shop that handles most BMW's in the area, also the dealership sends everyone there as well. Hope it gets done soon.

Last edited by NJ Krish; 07-19-2011 at 05:53 PM..
Appreciate 0