E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > COBB - GIAC Data Logging

07-14-2011, 08:06 AM   #1
PDS
Rep
Drives: '07 335xi

COBB - GIAC Data Logging

This is NOT a noob "which tune should I get" question

My car is essentially stock and I have no desire to chase horse power, just to pick the low hanging fruit with some easily addable and removable mods.

After searching I have narrowed it down to either the COBB or GIAC. I'm currently leaning towards the COBB due to its data logging capability.

The two questions I'm got are;
- How good have people found the COBB datalogging?
- If I went with the GIAC what are my options for datalogging?

Thanks all and please please done flame me
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2011, 09:59 AM   #2
Trojan4evr
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2021 G80 M3

Garage List
I'd go with GIAC. doesn't BT tool have logging capability?
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2011, 10:15 AM   #3
JB335
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335is

Garage List
2011 BMW 335IS  [7.60]
I'm in the same boat.

1 benefit with Cobb is being able to flash and reflash in the comfort of your own garage.

1 benefit with GIAC is being able to change maps on the fly with the handheld changer.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2011, 10:18 AM   #4
korben dallas
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F15 35i MPPK

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB335 View Post
I'm in the same boat.

1 benefit with Cobb is being able to flash and reflash in the comfort of your own garage.

1 benefit with GIAC is being able to change maps on the fly with the handheld changer.
Reflashing a new map on a cobb takes about 90 seconds. You could pull over somewhere while you're out driving and do it if you really wanted to.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2011, 10:24 AM   #5
dzenno
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives:

GIAC datalogging is non existent...COBB has the fastest sampling available of any tune on the market today...it logs at 125-250 samples/sec...
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2011, 10:28 AM   #6
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

I think you will be happier with the Cobb. You have the convenience of a flash at any time, you are able to sell it in the future, and its capable of logging.

Let me know if you have any other questions.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2011, 10:33 AM   #7
JB335
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335is

Garage List
2011 BMW 335IS  [7.60]
Quote:
Originally Posted by korben dallas View Post
Reflashing a new map on a cobb takes about 90 seconds. You could pull over somewhere while you're out driving and do it if you really wanted to.
Yeah I suppose that's true. However what other maps can you switch to?
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2011, 10:47 AM   #8
ModBargains.com
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: JB E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDS View Post

My car is essentially stock and I have no desire to chase horse power, just to pick the low hanging fruit with some easily addable and removable mods.

After searching I have narrowed it down to either the COBB or GIAC. I'm currently leaning towards the COBB due to its data logging capability.

Datalogging is non-existant with the GIAC tune. The Cobb AccessPORT ECU Flash simply replaces conservative factory settings with more aggressive calibrations that result in impressive gains in torque and horsepower while still maintaining a high degree of safety for your N54 engine. The tuning is extremely flexible and allows you to choose on the fly one of the performance maps that are loaded onto the AccessPORT. Typical performance gains from the Cobb AccessPORT are increases of 30% peak horsepower and an amazing 38% increase in peak torque. This tune is an ECU flash, not a piggy-back tuner, there will be no added devices to your vehicle's ECU.

You will get a whole lot more functionality and accessibility with the COBB AP. You do get FREE software and map updates for life that be downloaded straight from the COBB AP Manager software or through COBB's site. Not to mention that the COBB AP does allow for you to do live data logging, trouble shoot and scan codes, and of course switch maps on the fly as well! Installation is simple and it literally takes 10 minutes to download your stock map to the COBB AP and 8-10 minutes to flash your car to the stage 1 map. You can also export your stock map on your computer to back it up just in case you do ever lose your COBB AP Hand held unit. You can also export all of your data logs to your PC as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB335 View Post
Yeah I suppose that's true. However what other maps can you switch to?
Cobb currently has a few different variations for their Stage 1 tune:
v201
v202 with alternate throttle response
v203

Each one of these versions do have maps specifically for end users with 91/93 octane gas and a specific map for those in California/Arizona/Nevada as those states do have a different quality of 91 octane. You do have definitely a lot to play with to see which one best suits your driving habits! The stage 2 tune is also due to be released by the end of summer which can be downloaded for free as well!
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2011, 10:57 AM   #9
LAE92
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92

^+1 for the COBB. I was in a similar position a few months ago and decided to go with the COBB AP due to ease of future free updates and being able to log via the AP. Power, performance, smooth delivery, CONSISTENCY, and the ability to resale if you don't like it or get sick of it you can resale it, where as with the GIAC you are completely out the money you "invested" in your tune. With that said, I have heard a lot of great things about GIAC II. Again I would highly recommend the COBB AP if you are on the fence, worst thing can happen is you buy, don't like, then resale and lose $100-$200. I have the 202 alternate Stage 1 on my 2007 MT 335i and I love it. Can't wait for stage 2 to come out!
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2011, 10:58 AM   #10
tscdennab
Banned
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

Garage List
2008 BMW  [6.24]
Of course the Cobb resellers will tell you to get Cobb. But did you read how many problems Cobb users had ?

If you get GIAC, you will have zero problems. You will just have more smooth power and that's it. You can log with a BT tool ($170 factory refurbished - it can also read and clear error codes reliably - it's a must anyway) but for Stage 1 I am not sure you have any reason to log anything...it just works as it should.

The only reason I needed to log my GIAC Stage 2 Race was when dialing in the right methanol amount.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2011, 10:58 AM   #11
Shellacked135i
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2010 135i, 09 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff@topgearsolutions View Post
I think you will be happier with the Cobb. You have the convenience of a flash at any time, you are able to sell it in the future, and its capable of logging.

Let me know if you have any other questions.
Hit up Jeff for a great price on Cobb.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2011, 11:15 AM   #12
korben dallas
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tscdennab View Post
You can log with a BT tool ($170 factory refurbished - it can also read and clear error codes reliably - it's a must anyway) but for Stage 1 I am not sure you have any reason to log anything...it just works as it should..
If all you care about is reading/clearing a few codes and taking some logs then the cobb ap is more than enough.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2011, 11:35 AM   #13
XJS
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335iM

I am a bit biased since I chose GIAC, but COBB has had its fair share of problems and like tcsdennab is saying, if you search around the forum those with GIAC has had zero issues with the tune. It's really a flash and forget process.

And if horsepower really is not the issue and reliability is, then I suggest you choose GIAC and a BT cable for logging. COBB stage 1 is quite aggressive to be honest and you will be boosting what many considers too high for stock. If you do decide to go COBB I would highly suggest you add a few mods to make sure you don't heat soak etc.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2011, 12:04 PM   #14
korben dallas
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJS View Post
I am a bit biased since I chose GIAC, but COBB has had its fair share of problems and like tcsdennab is saying, if you search around the forum those with GIAC has had zero issues with the tune. It's really a flash and forget process.

And if horsepower really is not the issue and reliability is, then I suggest you choose GIAC and a BT cable for logging. COBB stage 1 is quite aggressive to be honest and you will be boosting what many considers too high for stock. If you do decide to go COBB I would highly suggest you add a few mods to make sure you don't heat soak etc.
I suppose I'm biased as well since i chose COBB

If your worried about reliability just do what I do, run a 91 octane map on 93. COBB 91 runs about 14.5-15psi max, GIAC stage 1 runs about 14 if I remember correctly, so they are pretty close in that respect.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2011, 12:34 PM   #15
XJS
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335iM

Quote:
Originally Posted by korben dallas View Post
I suppose I'm biased as well since i chose COBB

If your worried about reliability just do what I do, run a 91 octane map on 93. COBB 91 runs about 14.5-15psi max, GIAC stage 1 runs about 14 if I remember correctly, so they are pretty close in that respect.
GIAC stage 1 runs about 13-13.5psi. I logged max 12.7psi in multiple 2-3-4 gear WOT runs with ambient temps of 60F, but I have an aftermarket FMIC.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2011, 12:58 PM   #16
etichi
Slow,fast,slow, then you die.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i 07,AA short shifter, COBB

What is the diff on V201 vs V202?

I have tried both and this is my observation
v201: more linear
v202: on/off or exponential.

is this about right?
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2011, 01:10 PM   #17
korben dallas
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by etichi View Post
What is the diff on V201 vs V202?

I have tried both and this is my observation
v201: more linear
v202: on/off or exponential.

is this about right?
There are alternative throttle maps for v202 available on cobb's site. Std is the on/off your experiencing, v1 is linear, and v2 is linear with a more progressive onset. I run 91 v202 v2 currently on my AT. More linear response makes driving in traffic smoother but the power is still there if you want it. On top of that, you can always pop it into DS to get more of the on/off response when your really gettin after it.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2011, 01:34 PM   #18
PDS
Rep

All, I really appreciate your responses but can I ask that we don't get into discussion about the performance of one tune vs another as there is more than enough in this forum already.

I'm really interested in the datalogging.

The main reason I'm leaning towards the COBB is the datalogging capability as it appears that the only other alternative to having a flash tune with datalogging is to use the BT for datalogging. The thought of having to secure a laptop in the car doesn't appeal to me which is why I like COBB datalogging capability.

Is the BT the only stand alone datalogging option?
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2011, 07:53 PM   #19
BobS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M3

I would get a BT tool anyway even if I went with cobb. From what i've read on here, there was some issues with the cobb being able to clear every code. I've found my bt tool good for maintenance stuff to like resetting my brake life etc. I wouldn't base your decision soley on logging.

That being said, you'll most likely be happy with either. I think the cobb stg 1 is a little aggressive stock, i've read about problems people have with it. Either way I know most tunes offer a money back period so if you don't like it, send it back.

ESS 650 ACM-R Upgrades
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2011, 09:30 PM   #20
PDS
Rep

Thanks all. After doing some digging on the internet I think my best option is to get a standalone OBDII logger like the Autoterra.

When I first need the BT tool I will get one. I have a local distributor so I shouldn't any problems getting one.

Is there any other recommendations for an OBDII logger?
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2011, 07:08 AM   #21
bulldog_yyc
Major General
Rep
Drives: GT3RS

cobb
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2011, 06:21 PM   #22
old account 1
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 463whp 2001.5 Audi S4

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDS View Post

I am a bit confused as to why datalogging is such a concern if the tune runs properly out of the box. Our software for the N54 platform is easily the most well rounded option on the market. You will not get the same mixture of drivability and sheer power output anywhere else.

Our switching gives you the ability to toggle between various power levels on the fly, literally.

Further, I don't believe that anyone has come close to us with a plug and play high powered flash tune to date.

Appreciate 0