E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Cleaning Shadowlime Trim

07-23-2011, 10:55 PM   #1
churchillps
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Cleaning Shadowlime Trim

My shadowline looks like it has some water marks that almost look fluorescent and has some exposed chrome-ish look on the edges. I assume the latter is where the trim has been scraped and there\'s nothing I can do (but maybe someone has a suggestion).

Any suggestions on product/technique for cleaning up the trim?
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2011, 04:49 AM   #2
TOGWT
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 630i

Shadowline Trim

Is an option on current BMW models, offered in matte and glossy finishes, it replaces the chrome around the windows, body panels, bumpers and grille. The glossy black trim pieces are anodized, not painted, and the discoloration does not mean that the surface has been damaged. Exterior trim may become discoloured; this discolouration is due to a film deposited on the trim which distorts the light reflecting off the trim.

These deposits may come from car washes, hard water, or other environmental conditions. Deposits that cause the discoloration can be easily removed by polishing with a quality light finishing polish (Extract from a BMW technical service bulletin (TSB)

Note: The glossy black trim pieces are anodized, not painted, and the discoloration does not mean that the surface has been damaged. Therefore, the trim pieces do not need to replaced.

This discoloration could be weathering bloom, chalking, or chemical attack. Weathering bloom may occur when sealing is inadequate, and the surface of the anodized coating has become etched during weathering. Acidic pollutants in the environment promote this effect.

It may be possible to restore the original appearance by an abrasive cleaning using a light abrasive (P21S Polishing Soap, I am aware of what the mfg says). Coarser abrasives such as sandpaper or steel mesh should be avoided, along with acid or alkaline cleaners, any of which would damage the anodized coating.

After washing surface use Klasse all in one (AIO), for water spots or stubborn stains use with a terry weave towel to increase abrasiveness
Appreciate 0