E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Any tuners with the ease of Cobb AP?

07-26-2011, 01:28 AM   #1
Licit
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2007 335xi

Any tuners with the ease of Cobb AP?

I've been reading about the tuners and tried searching for install details but didn't find much. Are any of the other tuners easy to use like the Cobb? I didn't know if the JB4 PNP was supposed to be as easy to install or not?
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2011, 01:34 AM   #2
plague
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335i sold :( / jb 20th AE

Theyre All Easy. 123 Abc.

Parts for sale- PWM meth kit, M steering wheel, M shift knob, perforated e brake handle
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2011, 01:38 AM   #3
rmdvrs
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Licit View Post
I've been reading about the tuners and tried searching for install details but didn't find much. Are any of the other tuners easy to use like the Cobb? I didn't know if the JB4 PNP was supposed to be as easy to install or not?
Define easy to use?

Cobb GIAC, Dinan, etc. are flash tunes while JB and Procede are piggybacks so it's hard to compare. JB and Procede are easy to install but you have to go into the ecu compartment while Cobb is a flash tune and works by connecting it to your OBDII sensor inside the car.

The JB and Procede each have install instructions on their websites. They are easy to install and I can install or uninstall my JB in 5-8 minutes. The Cobb you just connect, upload the software and let it do it's thing. With the JB and Proced once you physically install it your ready to go. The Cobb you have to wait for to upload it's programing. Both in other words are relatively easy but their method of installation is different and it all depends on what you are looking for.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2011, 01:49 AM   #4
Licit
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2007 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmdvrs View Post
Define easy to use?

Cobb GIAC, Dinan, etc. are flash tunes while JB and Procede are piggybacks so it's hard to compare. JB and Procede are easy to install but you have to go into the ecu compartment while Cobb is a flash tune and works by connecting it to your OBDII sensor inside the car.

The JB and Procede each have install instructions on their websites. They are easy to install and I can install or uninstall my JB in 5-8 minutes. The Cobb you just connect, upload the software and let it do it's thing. With the JB and Proced once you physically install it your ready to go. The Cobb you have to wait for to upload it's programing. Both in other words are relatively easy but their method of installation is different and it all depends on what you are looking for.
I had the BMS powerbox for my 330xi and it's install was pretty tedious to do, one of my least pleasant installs to date. I have predator tuners just like the cobb for my 300C and vette and they are fine but I wasn't sure if I needed any of the things you can do with the other tuners besides the cobb.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2011, 02:25 AM   #5
pcockley
Banned
Rep
Drives: 335

I was rather nervous about installing the jb4 but there is a print out manual and a video install. All in all it took about 15 minutes and pretty idiot proof
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2011, 07:15 AM   #6
momstmg78
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335i sedan

Get the Cobb. With the piggybacks you could still possibly damage something during install.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2011, 08:15 AM   #7
tscdennab
Banned
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

Garage List
2008 BMW  [6.24]
I think the choice of tune should not be based on the ease of install. The first factor should be safety for the engine, with the buget, features, etc. following that.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2011, 08:20 AM   #8
interpol
Private
No_Country
Rep
Drives: passively aggressive.
Location: probably in a hotel thousands of miles away from home.

I cannot believe that some piggyback owners are trying to make this into a debate. I currently own the COBB AP and Vishnu PROcede and can say the following....

If you are looking for the easiest tune to use, it is undeniably the COBB AP. It's the easiest to install, remove, and update. There really should be no debate about this. Here is the question that should be asked to the people that disagree: Which tune would be the easiest for your mother to install/remove from your car if you had to instruct her to do it over the phone?

There would be no reason for me to be nervous if someone else installed or removed the COBB AP on my car while I was not present. On the other hand, I would not want anybody else without any automotive experience to install/remove my Procede.

Of course, if you are looking for the strongest tune possible (using meth, nitrous, etc.), then go with a piggyback.

COBB AP: Even my Mother can install it.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2011, 08:27 AM   #9
interpol
Private
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tscdennab View Post
I think the choice of tune should not be based on the ease of install. The first factor should be safety for the engine, with the buget, features, etc. following that.
Another good point.

Find out how the a piggyback controls the engine versus a flash and I don't think you'd be choosing the piggy.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2011, 09:01 AM   #10
awei130
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46, E92, 987

Piggyback systems such as the JB4 and Proceed will rewire you to gain access to your ECU compartment under the hood. A more realistic install timeframe is 45mins of manual labor each time you want to install/uninstall it from the car. This can be a big pain in the ass as you'd have to remove the piggyback everytime you pay a visit to your local stealership for service etc as they will check for it.

The COBB AccessPort on the otherhand can be installed/uninstalled directly from yhe comfort of your driver seat. You simply plug the handheld unit to your OBDII port and let it do its own thing. Also, a flash tune is always going to be best as you are actually rewriting the code on the car such as air to fuel mix ratios, timing, rev limiters, etc. You'll not only get more consistant power throughout the powerband, but there's a TON more features available with the COBB AccessPort. You do also have the ability to data log which will allow for you to check your air to fuel ratios, boost, and a bunch of other parameters. A neat feature is the ability to check your 0-60 and quarter mile times as well. It will also allow for you to scan, read, and clear the ECU of fault codes which makes it pretty much undetectable. Best of all, you do get FREE UPDATES for life. What that means is that if there are any revisions/additions in the maps available, you can download them free of charge. Its not like DINAN/GIAC where you will get charged an upgrade fee for each stage. The COBB team and its dealers are very active and do provide uppdates constantly. For example, there has already been three versions of the stage 1 tune available. Stage 2 is just around the corner and once its released, you'll get to download it for free! If you want a great deal, I'd highly recommend you send **********s.com a private message

Last edited by awei130; 07-26-2011 at 09:27 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2011, 09:07 AM   #11
Midnight Magic
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 e92 335i - Monaco

Quote:
Are any of the other tuners easy to use like the Cobb?
I think not! If there is, I also would like to know.
Cosmetic>// Lux H8 Amber Halo // Performance Kidney // MTech Bumper w/Smoked Fogs / Side Skirts //
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2011, 09:10 AM   #12
RoundelM3
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 F80 M3, 22 G01 X3 30i

Garage List
2022 BMW X3  [9.83]
2015 BMW M3  [6.50]
ESSTuning is offering a device now that appears to be very similar to the Cobb - it connects via OBD port and uploads their modified software. Don't know anything else about it, though - have seen it in a couple of magazines.

2015 F80 ///M3 Sedan 7DCT Tanzanite, 2022 X3 sDrive30i 8AT Brooklyn Grey
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2011, 09:13 AM   #13
interpol
Private
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by awei130 View Post
You'll not only get more consistant power throughout the powerband, but there's a TON more features available with the COBB AccessPort.
I agree with the post for the most part, but I strongly disagree with this point.

Some of the common features have much better implementation on the COBB AP - such as datalogging and live data display, which just f'ing craps on the Procede and JB. However, I would never say that the COBB has "a TON more features" because it actually has less and I don't think that it will ever be able to do all that additional stuff that the piggybacks can do (steering wheel controls, meth integration, etc.).
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2011, 09:21 AM   #14
awei130
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by interpol View Post
I agree with the post for the most part, but I strongly disagree with this point.

Some of the common features have much better implementation on the COBB AP - such as datalogging and live data display, which just f'ing craps on the Procede and JB. However, I would never say that the COBB has "a TON more features" because it actually has less and I don't think that it will ever be able to do all that additional stuff that the piggybacks can do (steering wheel controls, meth integration, etc.).
Datalogging features on the JB4 will require you to keep a laptop in the car to usput the feature to use. Steering wheel features include switching maps, clearing codes on the JB4 which are all standard features on the COBB that can be done through the handheld unit as well. Meth intigration isn't in the COBB stage 1 and ppossibly not in the stage 2 tune (official details have not been released yet), but I'm sure it'll be a high contender once the pro tune is available for those who want to do custom maping.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2011, 09:34 AM   #15
interpol
Private
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by awei130 View Post
Datalogging features on the JB4 will require you to keep a laptop in the car to usput the feature to use. Steering wheel features include switching maps, clearing codes on the JB4 which are all standard features on the COBB that can be done through the handheld unit as well. Meth intigration isn't in the COBB stahe 1 and ppossibly not in the stage 2 tune (official details have not been released yet), but I'm sure it'll be a high contender once the pro tune is available for those who want to do custom maping.
First of all, you didn't comprehend my post. Want me to rephrase? The COBB's datalogging and live data display are much better than the piggybacks'. Got it?

Map switching is superior on the piggybacks because: a) it's instantaneous and b) it can be done on the fly.

I am trying to give an honest opinion of both products to consumers who are undecided. You are obviously a fanboy who cannot accept criticism of the product you purchased. I prefer my COBB over the Procede, but I am also willing to accept its disadvantages.

Sorry, but the piggybacks will always have an advantage with meth integration over the COBB. Unless you know where to find the unused pins on the N54 DME which BMW specifically created for meth integration.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2011, 10:13 AM   #16
awei130
Banned
United_States
Rep

I comprehended the post just fine and yes the COBB does have a better UI integration than any tunes that is available for the N54 at this point of time. I have personally tried the JB3/JB4, a custom Alpina tune, and the COBB tune on my personal car. I'm sure other members here will agree with me when I say that I'm not just a fan boy and am actually a pretty avid enthusiast just like yourself and then some. It's good that I was able to instill that passion out of you as it allowed for you to give your honest opinion about the JB4 which is great for this discussion.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2011, 10:33 AM   #17
ModBargains.com
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: JB E92 335i

Quote:
Let's try to answer OP's question without getting off topic. If you're talking about ease of install, the COBB definitely has the advantage on this point. Here is a comparison video on the install process

JB3/4 Install Process PDF Install guide: ETA 45-60 mins

COBB AccessPORT Install Process: 20 mins
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2011, 10:36 AM   #18
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

Cobb is surely the easiest to install.
However one can install a traditional piggyback in the same time as a Cobb AP once they become proficient at it.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2011, 10:44 AM   #19
pcmike
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X3 M40i

Just watched that Cobb install video, just to be clear.. when they say "power cycle the car to ON" does that mean ignition ON and engine OFF.. or fully ON with the engine running?

Fully Loaded
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2011, 10:51 AM   #20
interpol
Private
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcmike View Post
Just watched that Cobb install video, just to be clear.. when they say "power cycle the car to ON" does that mean ignition ON and engine OFF.. or fully ON with the engine running?
Ignition on and engine off. Just like the Procede.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2011, 10:53 AM   #21
pcmike
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X3 M40i

Thanks, I'll be giving the Cobb a try next week. Can't wait to not have to get into the engine bay. At this point all the constant install/remove/reinstall of the Procede has basically left my air filter in place by maybe one or two screws.... all the other holes are stripped. Not to mention it's always a PITA to pass the USB cable through the firewall each and every time. Really looking forward to the ease of use of the Cobb.

Fully Loaded
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2011, 11:04 AM   #22
ModBargains.com
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: JB E92 335i

Quote:
You need to simply have the ignition on without the engine running. During the install process, make sure to simply turn off all electronics such as your stereo, AC, and anything that may drain the battery.

Quote:
Thanks, I'll be giving the Cobb a try next week. Can't wait to not have to get into the engine bay. At this point all the constant install/remove/reinstall of the Procede has basically left my air filter in place by maybe one or two screws.... all the other holes are stripped. Not to mention it's always a PITA to pass the USB cable through the firewall each and every time. Really looking forward to the ease of use of the Cobb.
I've already sent you a PM as well so let me know when you're ready to get this all setup and I will take care of you
Appreciate 0