E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Canada > People need to learn to not follow so close...

07-29-2011, 10:28 PM   #1
Andy M
Canada
Rep
Drives: 09 BMW 335i xdrive

People need to learn to not follow so close...

Got hit on the Gardiner this morning. Cars were stopped in a lane. Unfortunately, 2 seconds later, a car plowed into the SUV behind me which wasn't stopping in time either and the accident took out the entire right side of my car. Luckily I actually drive with enough room in front so I didn't get pushed into anyone.

Figures, the day I was going to actually install my new JB4 unit too.

Looks like that rear diffuser development's going to be delayed for a bit and I guess I won't be going to the meet.

Brought it to European Autobody. I heard they're good? Rear quarter panel will need to be replaced as well as the aluminum panels for both doors on the right side and the mirror. Bumper has a big scratch but the VentureShield that I had put on might have saved it to be honest.

Anyone got any tips too for dealing with insurance in Ontario? (I'm not at fault at all in this case). In a ton of pain and got checked out by ER (likely just muscle). Will have to go for physio.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-29-2011, 11:47 PM   #2
Dr. G
Major General
Rep
Drives: Black e92 335i

Garage List
e92 BMW 335i  [8.84]
Received your text messages Andy. Really sorry to hear about what happened, very unfortunate.

Definitely get some physio/chiro care, accidents can creep up on you, but hopefully all is well with you.

Hopefully your cars back on the road soon!
JB4 / OSS Angel Eyes / Downpipes / F1-Racewerks FMIC / Custom Meth Kit / BMS DCI / ER Chargepipe / HKS BOV / BMS Meth Elbow / BMW Performance Exhaust / Carbon Fiber Inlay Quad Tips / 19" Miro 111 / Front Aero Lip / M3 Sides / VRS CSL Trunk / Mtech Rear / DD CF Quad Finned Diffuser / LCI Tails / BBK / Smoked Reflectors / F1 Euphoria LED Interior / License LED's / GT 5000k Corners / 5000k HID Fogs / Air Scoops / LED Turn Signals / FK Silverline Coilovers / HPA endlinks / Vibrant Resonators / Osram CBI 5000k D1S
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2011, 11:53 PM   #3
DnA Diesel
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 09 335d Sport SGrey/Blk/Blk

Andy, that's a shame and really angers you when others don't take as much care on the road as you do. I hope you are looked after, both yourself and the car! If you were closer to Kingston, I'd recommend a very capable restoration guy who did a phenomenal job on my car when I was hit...right down to multiple, hand-rubbed coats of paint and all (not a MAACO job, for sure).

Regards
D.
      07-30-2011, 06:12 AM   #4
Bajan Loch
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: E90 A22 N52N

Sorry to hear about your car. I know how you feel, I got rear ended the other week on the 403, by a young girl in her parents Highlander. Had to replace the rear bumper. PITA for something that is not your fault. The main thing is no one got hurt, good luck with your repair.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2011, 06:17 AM   #5
KCX_335xi
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 | 2013 e70 X5

Sorry to hear that man.

The other (at fault) insurance company will/should cover all costs, make sure you report it to yours and let them fight it out with the other one.....
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2011, 06:53 AM   #6
PepE92M3
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 12 E92 M3

Sorry you were involved in this mess. Car can be fixed. The important is you, result of the accident could have been worst.

I was rear ended 11 years ago and not my fault as well. My insurance company had my car fixed and paid my physio treatments. Just try your best to be nice as much as possible with your case manager coz some times they are pain to deal with. Hope you the best in your recuperation.

Retired: 12 E82 135i, 11 E88 128i, 05 E46 M3, 07 E92 328i, 07 X3 3.0is, 88 E30 325i, 84 E30 318i
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2011, 01:18 PM   #7
Havok_2011
Canada
Rep
Drives: Alpine White 2011 M3 Coupe

Hey Andy, I was wondering yesterday why it took you so long to post this up..started getting worried.

Anyhow, like I said earlier...as long as you are ok, the car will get fixed like new (and wont cost you a penny).

Take care!
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2011, 01:59 PM   #8
Andy M
Canada
Rep

Thanks guys.

And Nick, I didn't get home until pretty late. Went to TGH to get looked at and the ED was really busy yesterday. They could do x-rays right there whereas my family doctor couldn't.

Anyway the car's at European Autobody now. Heard they're good. I got an X3 as the rental which I'll be driving for a bit. (they didn't have a car...not a fan of SUV's, especially after getting hit by one...) Second day is the worst. Woke up with a swollen right hand, sore back and neck, bruises on my left leg and knee. Called my insurance company again today to report the new injuries since my GP's office is closed for the long weekend. Keeping a documentation of everything too. Hope this is the best way to go...

I've been told too I should hold out for settling it until later since the pain can come back?
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2011, 02:18 PM   #9
farbmw
Brigadier General
Trinidad_and_tobago
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4 6SPD MANUAL!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M View Post
Got hit on the Gardiner this morning. Cars were stopped in a lane. Unfortunately, 2 seconds later, a car plowed into the SUV behind me which wasn't stopping in time either and the accident took out the entire right side of my car. Luckily I actually drive with enough room in front so I didn't get pushed into anyone.

Looks like that rear diffuser development's going to be delayed for a bit and I guess I won't be going to the meet.

Brought it to European Autobody. I heard they're good? Rear quarter panel will need to be replaced as well as the aluminum panels for both doors on the right side and the mirror. Bumper has a big scratch but the VentureShield that I had put on might have saved it to be honest.

Anyone got any tips too for dealing with insurance in Ontario? (I'm not at fault at all in this case). In a ton of pain and got checked out by ER (likely just muscle). Will have to go for physio.
I am sorry that it happened, but what are you going to do, you need to talk to a lawyer ASAP, because the insurance will try to rip you off, and there are things you can get from them that even I didn't know about and I am a 3 timer on this and all three accidents was not my fault.

I you want my lawyer info let me know, please get on soon!!

Link to my M4 euro delivery! http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1006526
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2011, 02:37 PM   #10
Havok_2011
Canada
Rep
Drives: Alpine White 2011 M3 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by farbmw View Post
I am sorry that it happened, but what are you going to do, you need to talk to a lawyer ASAP, because the insurance will try to rip you off, and there are things you can get from them that even I didn't know about and I am a 3 timer on this and all three accidents was not my fault.

I you want my lawyer info let me know, please get on soon!!
I agree with Farley....contact a lawyer ASAP, and dont settle....certainly not yes at least.

It's too early to tell the extent of the damage on your own body. And it looks like new pains are creeping up on you

Hold out, and make sure you take advantage of everything that is available to you. You only live once, best to avoid walking with a limp.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2011, 02:48 PM   #11
farbmw
Brigadier General
Trinidad_and_tobago
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havok_2011 View Post
I agree with Farley....contact a lawyer ASAP, and dont settle....certainly not yes at least.

It's too early to tell the extent of the damage on your own body. And it looks like new pains are creeping up on you

Hold out, and make sure you take advantage of everything that is available to you. You only live once, best to avoid walking with a limp.
+1 and remember your baby has been in a accident and when you want to let your car go (put it up for sale) you have to tell everyone it has been in a accident and that will bring down the value of your car.

My lawyer is also getting me money for future loss on my car.

Link to my M4 euro delivery! http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1006526
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2011, 02:53 PM   #12
4corners
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 Jet Black M3 Coupe

Garage List
Quote:

In part, you leaving a different following distance in traffic than others is not only annoying but throws off the flow which results in accidents like this.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2011, 03:50 PM   #13
Irishace
ElevenPointFive
Canada
Rep
Drives: E90 335

Really sorry to hear this, hopefully your injuries are not to severe. Be safe and take care.
      07-30-2011, 04:06 PM   #14
Bajan Loch
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4corners View Post
In part, you leaving a different following distance in traffic than others is not only annoying but throws off the flow which results in accidents like this.
so are you saying it was partially his fault because he was too far from the car in front of him?
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2011, 04:11 PM   #15
4corners
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bajan Loch View Post
so are you saying it was partially his fault because he was too far from the car in front of him?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Traffic_bottleneck

Yes
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2011, 04:57 PM   #16
Bajan Loch
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Not sure where you learned to drive, but:

http://www.smartmotorist.com/traffic...cond-rule.html

ANY hit-from-behind-accident is the fault of the driver at the back.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2011, 05:02 PM   #17
Andy M
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Wow, this is the first time anyone has said keeping a proper following distance (braking + reaction time according to the speed) is actually DANGEROUS. If the guy in front of me slams his brakes, what am I supposed to do? Not brake?

Bravo. You sir, have proved that you are an A S S H O L E. I hope you tailgate someone on a highway, injure yourself badly and them when you slam into them, you'll lose your precious BMW, default your mortgage and lose your house, get charged with dangerous driving, AND get a civil suit against you.

I just tried going for a walk. Can't put any pressure on my right leg. Collapsed at Loblaws while trying to get groceries. And this is all my fault according to you.

Seriously, I hope you crash your car next time you're on the road and the insurance becomes so high you'll never drive a BMW again. Because you sir, are exactly why people hate BMW drivers.

Last edited by Andy M; 07-30-2011 at 05:07 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2011, 05:39 PM   #18
4corners
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Wow, this is the first time anyone has said keeping a proper following distance (braking + reaction time according to the speed) is actually DANGEROUS. If the guy in front of me slams his brakes, what am I supposed to do? Not brake?

Bravo. You sir, have proved that you are an A S S H O L E. I hope you tailgate someone on a highway, injure yourself badly and them when you slam into them, you'll lose your precious BMW, default your mortgage and lose your house, get charged with dangerous driving, AND get a civil suit against you.

I just tried going for a walk. Can't put any pressure on my right leg. Collapsed at Loblaws while trying to get groceries. And this is all my fault according to you.

Seriously, I hope you crash your car next time you're on the road and the insurance becomes so high you'll never drive a BMW again. Because you sir, are exactly why people hate BMW drivers.
I don't tailgate on open highway. In traffic you have to go with the flow. Driver's out of step are a hazard.

And chill dude. Don't take it personal. I think you should talk to your shrink about your BMW owner guilt. Thanks for the good wishes.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2011, 05:42 PM   #19
4corners
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

I just tried going for a walk. Can't put any pressure on my right leg. Collapsed at Loblaws while trying to get groceries. And this is all my fault according to you.[/b]
Probably.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2011, 05:54 PM   #20
farbmw
Brigadier General
Trinidad_and_tobago
Rep

Andy forget about those guys, you are seriously hurt, GET A LAWYER ASAP!!!!

Appreciate 0
      07-30-2011, 06:13 PM   #21
JunkStory
Major
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, 8V RS3

Quote:
First, a bottleneck is not created when you follow the car in front of you with greater distance - you only create a negligible amount of latency/delay, but not a bottleneck.

A bottleneck is only created if Andy: (1) stopped his car, or (2) travelling at a reduced speed, as shown by your wikipedia link. You cannot deduce from the original post that Andy was committing either of these.

Secondly, if you actually read the first post carefully, you'll realize that it was a car behind an SUV behind Andy that caused the accident. The amount of distance between Andy and the car in front of him has little or no correlation to the accident as it would be difficult for the car to see past both the SUV and Andy.

Finally, travelling with greater distance in front has been proven to increase safety because (1) this allows you more time to react, and (2) allow a more gradual slowdown. In this case, the SUV was following too closely to Andy, and had no time to react and must come to a sudden stop, causing the car behind to plow into the SUV, and ultimately, this tragic accident. This accident has nothing to do with bottlenecks as you had suggested.

Last edited by JunkStory; 07-30-2011 at 06:23 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2011, 06:21 PM   #22
4corners
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JunkStory View Post
First, a bottleneck is not created when you follow the car in front of you with greater distance - you only create a negligible amount of latency/delay, but not a bottleneck.

A bottleneck is only created if Andy: (1) stopped his car, or (2) travelling at a reduced speed, as shown by your wikipedia link. You cannot deduce from the original post that Andy was committing either of these.

Secondly, if you actually read the first post carefully, you'll realize that it was a car behind an SUV behind Andy that caused the accident. The amount of distance between Andy and the car in front of him has little or no correlation to the accident as it would be difficult for the car to see past both the SUV and Andy.
Andy's greater following distance gave the SUV behind him the feeling there was more of a buffer because the SUV can see over a BMW. So when Andy braked, with is injured right leg, WITH TONS OF SPACE IN FRONT OF HIM, LIKE HE WAS GOING TO COLLIDE WITH A CAR 3 LENGTHS AHEAD, the SUV was misled, over braked and the car behind him ran into him.
Appreciate 0