E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > 335i acted funny this afternoon. Possibly fuel pump related?

04-17-2007, 07:43 PM   #1
wj4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 manual 335i

335i acted funny this afternoon. Possibly fuel pump related?

Hello, this afternoon coming out of Coffee Bean, I tried to start my car. It took a bit longer than usual to start. This was the first time it happened, prior to this, the car would start fine every time.

I drove the car, and it was fine. I parked it at school several blocks away and went to my class. Came out an hour later, and it started fine..no hesitation. On the drive home, while I'm stopped at one of the intersections, I noticed that the RPM went from 600 to 700. This is while I did nothing, I was at a red light waiting for it to turn green. I drove home, and saw that it was at 700 again for the 2 times I was at a complete stop at intersections. I came home, shut down the car, waited 10 seconds, restarted it. It started fine again, no hesitation, and the RPM went to 900 and fell down to the normal 600 after several seconds.

Side note...in the last several days, I've been thinking that my car has been a lot slower at times because my head would not tilt back or anymore after I floor the car in 2nd and 3rd gear. I thought this was in my head, but I'm not sure anymore. There's time where I press the gas pedal to the floor and the car just drive, but the car doesn't have that torque feeling.

Can this mean my fuel pump is about to bite the dust? And for those who are curious, my built date is 1/07, and it's a 6 speed sedan.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2007, 09:27 PM   #2
bilworth
No street racing!
Rep
Drives: E90 M-3 JzBlack

It sounds like some of the symptoms described in the TSB for the fuel pump.
Take it in and let them read the 'puter and they can tell you for sure. I bet it is the pump though.
      04-17-2007, 10:22 PM   #3
TiAg335i
Trance Life
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

I don't see the problem with your situation. You are a little paranoid. A difference of +/- 100 Rpm's does not immediately indicate some problem.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2007, 11:36 PM   #4
wj4
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiAg335i View Post
I don't see the problem with your situation. You are a little paranoid. A difference of +/- 100 Rpm's does not immediately indicate some problem.
Yes, but it happened after the hesitant start so it just concerned me a bit. And why would it jumped a 100 rpm with no reason? I was just sitting there waiting for the light to turn green.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2007, 11:43 PM   #5
SfValley335i
Colonel
Afghanistan
Rep
Drives: Current:135i Sold:335i sedan

same thing basically happening with my 335i, one night after the car was parked for awhile... I tried to turn it on and it cranked one too many times but started up and drove fine. The next morning the car cranked less but still seemed not 100% (might have been my mind). Few days later while at a light I noticed the car rpm's moving up and down alot between 1k and 500rpm. Took the car into dealership they ran tests and sent it to "bmw" still waiting for a word...

I hope its the fuel pump so they can resolve the problem before the car actually stops working and so that I may put a procede without worrying about removing it soon.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2007, 11:52 PM   #6
wj4
Major General
United_States
Rep

After I made the thread, I drove around a bit. Went out to the mall to pay some bills, probably about 20 miles round trip. It was fine tonight..started fine and idle fine. weird =/
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2007, 04:46 AM   #7
thealbert
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G20 M340i xDrive

Your rpm dipping doesn't realy bother me so much and shouldn't bother you too much either. Sometimes cars do that, especially when say your AC compressor kicks in or some other compoment in your car starts to work, like fans, even electrical things, etc. Its the hard start that you should be more worried about and pay more attention to cause THAT IS one of the main symptoms of a fuel pump thats about to go. Observe your starting times and pay attention to hesitations in acceleration and rough idling when in neutral. When you start experiencing those in a frequent basis, chances are, your fuel pump will shortly die thereafter. Be very worried when you car starts to kick into limp mode and start praying hard when you see the engine warning light come on. Pray not that there's nothing wrong with your car, but pray to get your fuel pump soon cause I'm almost certain when it comes to that, your fuel pump's dead. Good luck though! And do keep us updated! And if it makes you feel any better, you're really not alone on this!
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2007, 11:11 AM   #8
ATG
Major
Cuba
Rep
Drives: f30 328 xdrive, e90 335i gone

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiAg335i View Post
+1. I'm experiencing the same slight climb in the RPMs for some time already. No other symtoms though. Took it to the dealer twice, they checked it and found nothing wrong (no recorded fault codes as they explained).
Appreciate 0