E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > 325d Actuator

09-26-2011, 04:03 AM   #1
marcm
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F25 X3 LCI

325d Actuator

Is it possible that my actuator could be on the way out

I have a 325d 08 with 30k on the clock, FBMWSH

This morning on the motorway in 6th around 2k rpm the car was juddering, I was going up an incline (M62 up to saddleworth if your familiar).

I thought it was wheel balancing at first so slowed down then tried to accelerate... acceleration was fine, 3k-3.5k. Minimal movement through the wheel, I expect that there will be some wobble at varying speeds but this felt like the whole car was juddering.

I put it down to either mis-fire... so fueling came to mind, after some reading on the forum. Or suspension/shock absorber but I doubt the shocks will have gone at 30k mainly motorway mileage.

Just a bit concerned as the car has been rock solid until this morning.

I'll see what its like on the drive home.

Couldnt find any reports of actuators going on 325d's only 320d.

Anyone had similar experience or enlightnement ?
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2011, 03:52 PM   #2
marcm
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Drive home was uneventful although I did take it a lot easier. No juddering, just going to have to try it again in the morning.

Would the warm up of the engine/turbo make any difference in how the engine will run when warm. Say you booted it within 3-4 minutes of the engine running would that put any stresses on cold mechanicals that could lead to hiccuping.

I have noticed a little hesitation before around 2k rpm but put that down to recirculation valves opening/closing (don't quote me on that I only have a basic understanding of how the turbo works)
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2011, 04:11 AM   #3
marcm
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

So no-one ever had hiccuping around the 2k rpm then ?

Or have any ideas about what might cause it ?
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2011, 09:16 AM   #4
dape90
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2013 F20 118i M-Sport

marcm,

I was going to post something about this recently. I have a 2010 325d which although is a different engine to your car I think? I am have the occasional hiccup when on a warm up cycle. It happen about 2000rpm on anything up to half throttle.

I need to book my car into the dealers to sort out the door rubbers creaking, so while its in there I will get them to check this fault out. Which it is unlikely to do on the day and make me look like a fool.

I will let you know how it goes.

Cheers

D
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2011, 09:35 AM   #5
marcm
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Cool, my car is now out of warranty so I would like to try and diagnose.

My 325d is the 3.0ed unit so I think it will be the same as yours but you probably have better software in the ECU for improved maps.

I remember I used to get it on my 330d as well.

It's as you say normally about half throttle. The worrying thing is that it happened in a big way with 3/4 throttle and it felt as though the whole car was shaking.

Its not happened since but thats probably because Im holding back!!!

Would be interested to know how it goes.
Appreciate 0