E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Misfire with Cobb installed but not when un-installed

11-14-2011, 08:52 AM   #1
danilloe90
New Member old BMW M owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 335Xi Sedan

Garage List
2007 335XI  [0.00]
Misfire with Cobb installed but not when un-installed

Hello all,

As the tittle states, I am having misfire issues (check engine codes and all) while I have my Cobb tuner installed but the issues do not seem to appear while the tuner is uninstalled. Now I understand that this is probably due to the fact that the tuner pushes the mechanical parts to the extreme (HPFP, plugs, injectors...etc) but my big questions is, how do I get the codes to stay present after uninstalling the tuner? I called the BMW dealership the other day and they suggested to only bring in the car when the codes are present so they don't spend hours on diagnosing it ($$$). Now obviously I am not trying to void my CPO warranty so I can't bring it in while the tuner is installed, but I would like to get this issued fixed sooner then later. The car feels like a dinosaur without having the tuner installed and its driving me nuts Does anyone have any suggestions as far as how to get the check engine light to stay on or anything along those lines? Just a little info on the car: 2007 335XI with 50,000 miles the only mods are the tuner, down-pipe back exhaust and DCI.

Please let me know what you think and thanks for your time.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2011, 08:58 AM   #2
Mike@N54Tuning.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i, 2015 M3

The codes are stored in the ecu even if the cel light goes off.

Mike
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2011, 09:00 AM   #3
JStang
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: FDB M3 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by danilloe90 View Post
Hello all,

As the tittle states, I am having misfire issues (check engine codes and all) while I have my Cobb tuner installed but the issues do not seem to appear while the tuner is uninstalled. Now I understand that this is probably due to the fact that the tuner pushes the mechanical parts to the extreme (HPFP, plugs, injectors...etc) but my big questions is, how do I get the codes to stay present after uninstalling the tuner? I called the BMW dealership the other day and they suggested to only bring in the car when the codes are present so they don't spend hours on diagnosing it ($$$). Now obviously I am not trying to void my CPO warranty so I can't bring it in while the tuner is installed, but I would like to get this issued fixed sooner then later. The car feels like a dinosaur without having the tuner installed and its driving me nuts Does anyone have any suggestions as far as how to get the check engine light to stay on or anything along those lines? Just a little info on the car: 2007 335XI with 50,000 miles the only mods are the tuner, down-pipe back exhaust and DCI.

Unless you can get the car to react this way with at the dealership you are likely screwed. Don't be a cheap a$$ and get a new set of plugs and DIY for under $100.00. This is assuming, that they haven't been changed which is what I'm gathering based on the info you provided. Don't risk your warranty for something so small not to mention you probably have a deductible as well.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2011, 09:05 AM   #4
danilloe90
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 335XI  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JStang View Post
Unless you can get the car to react this way with at the dealership you are likely screwed. Don't be a cheap a$$ and get a new set of plugs and DIY for under $100.00. This is assuming, that they haven't been changed which is what I'm gathering based on the info you provided. Don't risk your warranty for something so small not to mention you probably have a deductible as well.
Exactly what I was thinking. My HPFP was replaced last year so I hope its still functioning properly. Any suggestions on the plugs? I need to do some research but it sounds like you've done it in the past and I would appreciate to hear your success story.

Thanks for the help thus far.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2011, 09:06 AM   #5
danilloe90
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 335XI  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike@N54Tuning.com View Post
The codes are stored in the ecu even if the cel light goes off.

Mike
Is this true even when I uninstall the tuner? I tried to get it to read with a hand held CEL reader and it wasn't picking up the code. Please let me know.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2011, 09:14 AM   #6
JStang
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Exactly what I was thinking. My HPFP was replaced last year so I hope its still functioning properly. Any suggestions on the plugs? I need to do some research but it sounds like you've done it in the past and I would appreciate to hear your success story.

Thanks for the help thus far.
The best price you are going to find on the plugs is here http://www.autohausaz.com/search/pro..._term=ZGR6STE2

and you need the socket which I found to be cheapest here
http://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E92-335...lug/ES1306821/

Follow the DIY found here
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...ght=spark+plug
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2011, 09:20 AM   #7
danilloe90
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 335XI  [0.00]
^ You the man! Thanks for the help. At least now I know what I am doing this weekend
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2011, 09:28 AM   #8
JStang
Brigadier General
Rep

No problem. It's really simple!
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2011, 09:41 AM   #9
Mike@N54Tuning.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Is this true even when I uninstall the tuner? I tried to get it to read with a hand held CEL reader and it wasn't picking up the code. Please let me know.
Yes, but you do need a proper scanner like the BT Cable.

Mike
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2011, 09:49 AM   #10
yandy
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 e92 MR "Civic" ///M3

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
When you uninstall Cobb from the car, It clears stored codes.. could be why you are not seeing them.
      11-14-2011, 10:37 AM   #11
Pseudo Nim
twinborific
Rep
Drives: fast, sometimes slow

- even if CEL is off, codes may be stored in "shadow" memory. You need a BT cable to see is.
- if you uninstall or change maps with the Cobb, it clears all codes - including shadow. Nothing will be left so your car will be at the dealer, clean as a whistle.
- do NOT bring the car with the Cobb installed to the dealer. The DME stores a tuner code in SHADOW MEMORY ONLY - ie no CEL thrown etc - so the dealer will immediately see that you have a tune on. Only deinstall, then bring.
      11-14-2011, 10:39 AM   #12
335TWNTURBO
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 335i

Quote:
Hello all,

Hey Bro:

Last week I had misfires in cylinder 4. I was bummed out because it would happen under WOT. I researched I bought OEM plugs and swapped them over the weekend and everything is back to normal. This also solved the slight hiccups I was having during idle. Change the plugs first as this might be your fix.

Do not go to the dealer without first trying this first.

I am SOOO happy I changed the plugs. i fell back in LOVE with my car.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2011, 10:58 AM   #13
Mike@N54Tuning.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
Canada
Rep

Like mentioned above plugs are a usual suspect especially if they haven't been changed in a while. I recommend 25K plug changes when tuned.

Mike
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2011, 11:08 AM   #14
tofu-
Banned
Rep
Drives: 335i Jet Black/Coral Red

you really should find out what the problem is before spending money on random parts

find out if it's a single cylinder misfire, then switch around your coils and see if the misfire moves, if not then switch around your plugs. if it still doesnt move, it's likely the fuel injector.

if it's a multiple cylinder misfire, it could be hpfp or lpfp (would likely throw more codes), o2 sensors (likely more codes), plugs, or an injector taking down multiple cylinders in the same bank (would likely smoke on cold start).
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2011, 11:27 AM   #15
zerep1
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i E90, 328i F30, 230i G42,

at 50k it really sounding like your plugs does it only happy when you got wot right
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2011, 11:31 AM   #16
335TWNTURBO
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu- View Post
you really should find out what the problem is before spending money on random parts

find out if it's a single cylinder misfire, then switch around your coils and see if the misfire moves, if not then switch around your plugs. if it still doesnt move, it's likely the fuel injector.

if it's a multiple cylinder misfire, it could be hpfp or lpfp (would likely throw more codes), o2 sensors (likely more codes), plugs, or an injector taking down multiple cylinders in the same bank (would likely smoke on cold start).
His car has 50k and plugs are due to be changed at 45k. Since he is tuned, he should change the plugs first. As with any tune, plugs go bad at a more rapid pace due to the added boost. All the switching and troubleshooting might not prove anything but more confusion. The plugs need to be changed anyway, so I don't see an issue with changing plugs before doing anything else. The OP can also change the coil packs around when doing the plugs. It doesn't make sense to swap coil packs around then put everything back to go and buy plugs and or coils. It might not be necessary.

just my .02
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2011, 11:32 AM   #17
335TWNTURBO
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerep1 View Post
at 50k it really sounding like your plugs does it only happy when you got wot right
+1

Mine only happened at WOT
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2011, 11:50 AM   #18
remington109
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i Sedan

Same thing is happening to me. Replaced plugs and coil, no help.

Running Stage 2+ drive tune for now with no issues. I'm sure it's just a matter of time before it starts on that tune too.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2011, 12:33 PM   #19
e90_guy
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i

I have the same issue too. Only misfired and hiccups when cobb is installed and WOT. I have 60000 km on my car.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2011, 03:38 PM   #20
JStang
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by e90_guy View Post
I have the same issue too. Only misfired and hiccups when cobb is installed and WOT. I have 60000 km on my car.
I think there should be a disclaimer from all tuners telling prospective buyers that they should replace plugs at 25k increments. However, my post count is skyrocketing answering these questions.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2011, 03:46 PM   #21
335TWNTURBO
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JStang View Post
I think there should be a disclaimer from all tuners telling prospective buyers that they should replace plugs at 25k increments. However, my post count is skyrocketing answering these questions.
Thats what the forums are for my friend. Its to help ppl out. Thanks for sharing the information. This forum is very beneficial. There is no way we all could follow every single post. If we all didnt post to share what we have learned it wouldnt be the site that is it today. It takes ppl and information sharing to make it a useful site.

e90post FTW!!!!
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2011, 03:48 PM   #22
JStang
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335TWNTURBO View Post
Thats what the forums are for my friend. Its to help ppl out. Thanks for sharing the information. This forum is very beneficial. There is no way we all could follow every single post. If we all did post to share what we have learned it wouldnt be the site that is it today. It takes ppl and information sharing to make it a useful site.

e90post FTW!!!!
Appreciate 0