E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Oil cooler retrofit,Worth the Hassle?

05-23-2007, 06:22 AM   #1
archtop
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i E88 DCT

Oil cooler retrofit,Worth the Hassle?

If you don't plan on tracking your car is getting the oil cooler retrofit worth being inconvienienced even though its free? I've never seen temps over 250 with my step coupe but my dealer will install one if I want but is it necessary.
I lease my car but don't want to have any issues.Is it a good idea or are we opening a can of worms and maybe causing more problems if they don't do the repair properly? Opinions please?
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2007, 06:37 AM   #2
ArmyBimmerDude
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Lola

Garage List
Dude, you live in North carolina, you should be good. Its more of a dilemma for owners living in the south. But hey, if they would install it for free, why not?
      05-23-2007, 07:56 AM   #3
gonzo
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: as many as possible

Mine is on the way. I am glad because I looked down yesterday. 285. It was only 80 degrees in Dallas. July and August will hit low 100's with 110 and above heat index. Yup, I want mine, NOW!
      05-23-2007, 08:08 AM   #4
sdiver68
Expert Road Racer
Rep
Drives: 07 335i e90, 09 335i e93

Quote:
Originally Posted by archtop View Post
If you don't plan on tracking your car is getting the oil cooler retrofit worth being inconvienienced even though its free? I've never seen temps over 250 with my step coupe but my dealer will install one if I want but is it necessary.
I lease my car but don't want to have any issues.Is it a good idea or are we opening a can of worms and maybe causing more problems if they don't do the repair properly? Opinions please?
I think I'm the first one to have it done, i know I was the 1st to have it approved.

If you are road course tracking your car in a hot climate, then have it done. If you are leasing and never have an issue, then there really is no need to bother.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2007, 08:24 AM   #5
bilworth
No street racing!
Rep
Drives: E90 M-3 JzBlack

I think you should go for the installation. I work for a BMW dealer and have watched the install process. It is very straight forward and should not take more then four hours. The engine was designed to have the separate oil cooling circuit so hot oil would not transmit heat into the engine coolant. We don't know what the coolant temps are running on this engine. Therefore, I suggest it should have the separate oil cooling circuit per the original design. And, I think we should take care of our cars even if they are leased. The attitude that some display on this forum to the contrary is just wrong. Please understand I am not implying you would not care for your car.
      05-23-2007, 08:31 AM   #6
stressdoc
Dominica
Rep
Drives: BMW i8; Toy 4runner TRD pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilworth View Post
... The engine was designed to have the separate oil cooling circuit so hot oil would not transmit heat into the engine coolant....
If this is the case I will rethink my opinion on this issue. Is there a good source for discussion of the design thermodynamics?
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2007, 09:02 AM   #7
bilworth
No street racing!
Rep
Drives: E90 M-3 JzBlack

Quote:
Originally Posted by stressdoc View Post
If this is the case I will rethink my opinion on this issue. Is there a good source for discussion of the design thermodynamics?
Hi Stressdoc,

Yes. Go to the second sticky down in this Engine Talk thread entitled: 2007 Engine Tech by ksfrogman (thank you Mr. Frogman). There, you will find links to some pdf documents. In the Engine Management document on page 42 it states :"The cooling system of the N54 engine consists of a radiator circuit and an isolated oil cooling circuit. The fact that there is an isolated oil-cooling circuit ensures that heat is not introduced via the engine oil into the engine’s coolant system." The next page goes on to further justify the need for the oil cooler in the N54 engine. Read through all the documents. They make a pretty compelling case with regard to the need for the oil cooler on the N54 engine. (in my opinion).
      05-23-2007, 10:37 AM   #8
seccsc
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20 M340xi

I had my oil cooler installed yesterday and the temp is maintaining at 230 F. When dealing with longevity of the vehicle, I think it's worth hassle.
      05-23-2007, 12:40 PM   #9
sdiver68
Expert Road Racer
Rep
Drives: 07 335i e90, 09 335i e93

Quote:
Please understand I am not implying you would not care for your car.
Good. Because whoever gets my leased BMW next is getting probably the most cared for and maintained BMW on the certified-used lot! That is, if i let them have it at the end of the 2 years.

I simply meant if longevity and resale value are not concerns (leased), and the car is not being tracked, then if BMW is not concerned, then neither would I be UNLESS I actually had the issue.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2007, 01:05 PM   #10
E90ice
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi Coupe

I am leasing the car (but maybe keep it after that, if all goes well) and I live in an area where temps do not exceed 80F usually in the summer.

I still wanted to get it done, just to be safe. I do take road trips and like to drive hard sometimes and you never know....
      05-23-2007, 01:36 PM   #11
kujo
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW

I fought.
Mine was approved months ago now.
Mine's done, but I don't know what it's like, as mines been in the shop for 3 weeks with another 4-5 week wait for a fuel pump.

I live in So Cal and no matter where I lived, if it got hot at all, I'd get it done.

I was running 280-290 in 77 degree weather here, so........
When it's 100+ in the summer time, Ca Boom !!!

kj
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2007, 01:59 PM   #12
Spazdoc
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 C63S, 2001 S4

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
I think you should go for the installation. I work for a BMW dealer and have watched the install process. It is very straight forward and should not take more then four hours. The engine was designed to have the separate oil cooling circuit so hot oil would not transmit heat into the engine coolant. We don't know what the coolant temps are running on this engine. Therefore, I suggest it should have the separate oil cooling circuit per the original design. And, I think we should take care of our cars even if they are leased. The attitude that some display on this forum to the contrary is just wrong. Please understand I am not implying you would not care for your car.
Do they remove the front bumper for oil cooler install? The reason I ask is because I am planning on adding splitters and don't want to reisk them with the cooler install (I was also going to pay the tech to drop in new foglights while he was there - I live in the city and park in a garage).
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2007, 02:23 PM   #13
jon@themshop
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazdoc View Post
Do they remove the front bumper for oil cooler install? The reason I ask is because I am planning on adding splitters and don't want to reisk them with the cooler install (I was also going to pay the tech to drop in new foglights while he was there - I live in the city and park in a garage).
Just checked the repair instructions and the front bumper is not removed to do the oil cooler retrofit.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2007, 02:40 PM   #14
Spazdoc
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 C63S, 2001 S4

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Thanks man. Looks like I will be installing some lights and parts sooner than I thought!
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2007, 02:40 PM   #15
Shinchan
LED Rules
Rep
Drives: Sold: 335xi Coupe

i say.. if you can get it for free... go for it.. mine is on order....
      05-23-2007, 02:44 PM   #16
jon@themshop
Captain
United_States
Rep

So how did you guys get an oil cooler.. did you contact BMW NA first?
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2007, 05:13 PM   #17
BzzzBom
Major
Rep
Drives: 05 R53 MINI / 09 335i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by archtop View Post
Is it worth the inconvenience??

1. The oil cooler retrofit is free
2. Most dealers provide a loaner car
3. The N54 engine was designed to run with the oil cooler
4. Cars with the oil cooler run significantly cooler
5. BMW is now including oil coolers in their cars
6. The oil cooler may increase engine life
7. My step car w/o the oil cooler has hit 275 degrees
8. Cars with oil coolers max out at about 240 degrees
9. I would have it installed without question
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2007, 05:23 PM   #18
archtop
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i E88 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by BzzzBom View Post
Is it worth the inconvenience??

1. The oil cooler retrofit is free
2. Most dealers provide a loaner car
3. The N54 engine was designed to run with the oil cooler
4. Cars with the oil cooler run significantly cooler
5. BMW is now including oil coolers in their cars
6. The oil cooler may increase engine life
7. My step car w/o the oil cooler has hit 275 degrees
8. Cars with oil coolers max out at about 240 degrees
9. I would have it installed without question
Thanks, Makes sense to do it!
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2007, 05:42 PM   #19
bmw0perat0r
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4 Austin Yellow

I may be rehashing this -

So all 335's qualify for this free oil cooler and install?

Is this oil cooler something you have to fight for?

I bought my 335xi end of April - it is a march production vehicle - non sport package, steptronic.

I have read that only manual transmission sports package 335's come with the oil cooler - some of the older ones didn't. Does this imply that only MT sport package 335's qualify for the oil cooler retrofit?

Or do non sports package cars qualify just the same?

I'd like to know before I start to make a stink about it at the dealer. Someone please clarify what the deal is.

thanks.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2007, 05:53 PM   #20
BMW_drei
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 535i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw0perat0r View Post
I may be rehashing this -

So all 335's qualify for this free oil cooler and install?

Is this oil cooler something you have to fight for?

I bought my 335xi end of April - it is a march production vehicle - non sport package, steptronic.

I have read that only manual transmission sports package 335's come with the oil cooler - some of the older ones didn't. Does this imply that only MT sport package 335's qualify for the oil cooler retrofit?

Or do non sports package cars qualify just the same?

I'd like to know before I start to make a stink about it at the dealer. Someone please clarify what the deal is.

thanks.
1. 335i's with Sport Package (ZSP) should have the cooler. Others don't (unless of course BMW changed the design again ).
2. Some (many) Step/Sport were built without -- this is the population that should fight for it.
3. Usually you have to fight (painfully) to get it :mad:, although some haven't had to fight very hard. Sometimes you get asked to sign a waiver.

4. Check your parts list at the dealer -- that should tell you if it's supposed to be there. Maybe ...
      05-23-2007, 05:58 PM   #21
tyler9595
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Boring

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon@themshop View Post
So how did you guys get an oil cooler.. did you contact BMW NA first?
+1

I have a feeling if I mentioned this to my dealership, they would treat me like I was some kind of con-artist (which I'm not)...
Previous - 2010 e90 335i (N54) - BSM, 6AT, ZSP, ZPP, ZCW, Hi-Fi, Nav, BMW PPK & PE, Dinan S2
Previous - 2007 e90 335i (N54) - BSM, 6AT, ZSP, ZPP, ZCW, Hi-Fi
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2007, 06:02 PM   #22
bmw0perat0r
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4 Austin Yellow

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW_drei View Post
1. 335i's with Sport Package (ZSP) should have the cooler. Others don't (unless of course BMW changed the design again ).
2. Some (many) Step/Sport were built without -- this is the population that should fight for it.
3. Usually you have to fight (painfully) to get it :mad:, although some haven't had to fight very hard. Sometimes you get asked to sign a waiver.

4. Check your parts list at the dealer -- that should tell you if it's supposed to be there. Maybe ...

Thanks for the reply bud.

One thing that concerns me is that the dealer may want a reason to install it and frankly i have no immediate need for it. My car never breaks 240 degrees even when ~90 degrees with A/C on.

However, if the oil cooler was supposed to be on "ALL" the 335's...then I have some clout. I'd rather not have to "fight" for it ...especially if the oil cooler isn't a necessary item for the vehicles longevity.

I'll call the guy i bought the car from and ask him to look into it, if there's anyone at the dealer who'd help, it'd be him.
Appreciate 0