E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - California > Anyone near OC/IE have a spark plug socket I can borrow?

01-19-2012, 12:35 AM   #1
rooringhusky
Objects in the mirror are losing
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i E92 AW/CR 6MT

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Anyone near OC/IE have a spark plug socket I can borrow?

Just like the title says...I am looking for someone who would be nice enough to let me borrow a spark plug socket for me to change my plugs..

If I cant find anyone to help I will end up buying the socket...but just trying to save a few bucks where I can..So I figured it was worth a shot to ask..

Thanks in advance!
      01-19-2012, 01:05 AM   #2
BlackDesertTango
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 330

Quote:
Originally Posted by rooringhusky View Post
Just like the title says...I am looking for someone who would be nice enough to let me borrow a spark plug socket for me to change my plugs..

If I cant find anyone to help I will end up buying the socket...but just trying to save a few bucks where I can..So I figured it was worth a shot to ask..

Thanks in advance!
I know your trying to save.. But instead of driving out to someone and borrowing(cost of gas) just drop by the store and get one 5/8 spark plug socket for about 4-8 bucks depending where you buy. You don't need the $22 dollar one.
      01-19-2012, 03:37 AM   #3
rooringhusky
Objects in the mirror are losing
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i E92 AW/CR 6MT

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackDesertTango View Post
I know your trying to save.. But instead of driving out to someone and borrowing(cost of gas) just drop by the store and get one 5/8 spark plug socket for about 4-8 bucks depending where you buy. You don't need the $22 dollar one.
Great idea! Can anyone else confirm that generic sockets work? I have heard nightmare stories about using the wrong socket and also ones that arent magnetic..I guess I will hold off a week to see if anyone is local or on my daily drive and if not just buy the socket..

Thanks for the advice and help...Really do appreciate it
      01-21-2012, 11:14 PM   #4
BlackDesertTango
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 330

Quote:
Originally Posted by rooringhusky View Post
Great idea! Can anyone else confirm that generic sockets work? I have heard nightmare stories about using the wrong socket and also ones that arent magnetic..I guess I will hold off a week to see if anyone is local or on my daily drive and if not just buy the socket..

Thanks for the advice and help...Really do appreciate it
Hopefully someone replies and gives you confirmation. But if you want to take my word for it. I've had my 5/8 spark plug socket for years now and still use the same one. I used it for my 330i and works great. To verify yourself. When you grab your spark plugs just try to fit the 5/8 socket it'll work. When I changed mine, I used a 8 in. extension and joint swivel. Make sure do not put anti-seize. Also Use a torque wrench.
      01-21-2012, 11:26 PM   #5
kevin@bavarianx
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: E36 M3

I have my spark plug tool from my trunk tool kit.
Appreciate 0