E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Cobb Accessport review

01-26-2012, 10:44 AM   #1
Nigelo
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 335i se

Cobb Accessport review

Hi folks!

I\'ve had a chance today to get out and about with the car, so thought I\'d give a \'day 1\' review.

So yesterday I picked up my package:

...and this is what it looked like after I feverishly ripped off the postage info etc...

On opening the box I was impressed straight away by the nice presentation of the - a lovely glossy metallic blue box!

And a nice peepshow window!

Inside, you get the accessport itself, a OBD cable (instructions mention an adaptor, none was needed or given), a USB updater cable, a QuickStart guide and a couple of Cobb stickers.

It\'s mentioned in the guide that the accessport would be preloaded with whatever is the most up-to-date maps, so I took a gamble and elected to get flashing right away! (impatient git that I am!)

So the cover was removed from the OBD port above the bonnet release, and then the little sliding port cover was slid out simply by gently pulling it straight out a little.

I put the key in the ignition at this stage, plugged the OBD cable into the car, the accessport into the OBD cable, and cycled the power to on with a press of the starter.

Accessport duly started up, pressed \'ok\' that my car matched it\'s description, found the option to flash the dme, selected my map (stage 1 aggressive, stock throttle) and after a few warning messages, the accessport read and stored my stock map.

This bit took about 15 minutes, and once completed, the flash process began. This took about 20-25 minutes, and as warned, a few warning chimes and signs appeared throughout the process. Any dtc\'s were automatically cleared as the final part of the flash.

On completion I was awarded with a little message saying operation successful (or something to that effect!). I cycled the power to off, unplugged the accessport and set it to the side.

Now as you might have read in the other thread, this is were I hit my only snag so far. And I nearly dunged my pants. For as I placed my foot upon the clutch and pressed start, I was greeted not by the n54 blaring gloriously to life, but by all manner of chimes and warnings. For a moment or two I thought I had bricked my ecu, but reality dawned that I had drained the battery. My trusty father was on hand quickly though to jump start the car, and away I went. Unfortunately I had to pick the missus up and there was torrent rain all evening so I postponed any testing to today......

.... And so onto the day one conclusions! It\'s been a very cold day (2-4.5c) and a little damp, but it\'s dried up nicely this afternoon.

I took my friend out who is owner of many bmws from e46 and e92 330ds and i\'s and 2 e46 m3\'s so he could give me some comparisons in that respect.

First point - with the stage 1 aggressive stock throttle map, at cursing around town throttle openings it feels almost like standard. I say almost, because there is a tiny bit extra \'pick up\' there, but it\'s just a tiny bit. Drivability is great, no surging, all just as we are all used to!

Next, when giving it the wellie! As a simple description, the stock power delivery is bumped up to the next level - still as smooth as ever, but it just hits harder and for longer. From 2200+rpm thats where you notice the swell of power building much more and quicker than usual, and the acceleration just keeps building. 2nd gear traction became compromised on greasy roads, not so much when it dried up later, but it was always something I had to consider when doling out the power. Higher gears became more potent - 4th has a real feeling of torquey shove now, rather than a linear build up of acceleration. 3rd gear also triggered the traction control in the damp occasionally, and hardly ever in the dry.

In my friends impression, he enjoyed it plenty. He says in terms of a comparison, it is now definitely faster than a e46 m3 in straight-line pace. The quicker revving through a gear makes the car sound more aggressive. It might just be my imagination, but I thought that all the usual sounds I hear throughout the rev range have shifted down a few hundred rpm.

So one day in, I\'m very happy - it is early days however and I just wanted to get my first impressions out there, and go from there. Glad I did stage one rather that go straight into stage 2, there\'s plenty of fun to be had at this level and it\'ll prolong the modding experience a little longer!

This Saturday I\'ve ditched the other half so I\'ll do an update then, and get a more detailed description of any changes to the car\'s character etc! In the meantime, if you\'ve got a query, ask away!

Last edited by Nigelo; 01-26-2012 at 10:52 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2012, 11:37 AM   #2
Alpina_B3_Lux
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Audi R8 LMX, BMW M550i xDrive

Garage List
2009 335i  [8.90]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigelo View Post
Hi folks!

I\'ve had a chance today to get out and about with the car, so thought I\'d give a \'day 1\' review.

It\'s mentioned in the guide that the accessport would be preloaded with whatever is the most up-to-date maps, so I took a gamble and elected to get flashing right away! (impatient git that I am!)

So the cover was removed from the OBD port above the bonnet release, and then the little sliding port cover was slid out simply by gently pulling it straight out a little.

I put the key in the ignition at this stage, plugged the OBD cable into the car, the accessport into the OBD cable, and cycled the power to on with a press of the starter.

Accessport duly started up, pressed \'ok\' that my car matched it\'s description, found the option to flash the dme, selected my map (stage 1 aggressive, stock throttle) and after a few warning messages, the accessport read and stored my stock map.

This bit took about 15 minutes, and once completed, the flash process began. This took about 20-25 minutes, and as warned, a few warning chimes and signs appeared throughout the process. Any dtc\'s were automatically cleared as the final part of the flash.

On completion I was awarded with a little message saying operation successful (or something to that effect!). I cycled the power to off, unplugged the accessport and set it to the side.

Now as you might have read in the other thread, this is were I hit my only snag so far. And I nearly dunged my pants. For as I placed my foot upon the clutch and pressed start, I was greeted not by the n54 blaring gloriously to life, but by all manner of chimes and warnings. For a moment or two I thought I had bricked my ecu, but reality dawned that I had drained the battery. My trusty father was on hand quickly though to jump start the car, and away I went. Unfortunately I had to pick the missus up and there was torrent rain all evening so I postponed any testing to today......

.... And so onto the day one conclusions! It\'s been a very cold day (2-4.5c) and a little damp, but it\'s dried up nicely this afternoon.

I took my friend out who is owner of many bmws from e46 and e92 330ds and i\'s and 2 e46 m3\'s so he could give me some comparisons in that respect.

First point - with the stage 1 aggressive stock throttle map, at cursing around town throttle openings it feels almost like standard. I say almost, because there is a tiny bit extra \'pick up\' there, but it\'s just a tiny bit. Drivability is great, no surging, all just as we are all used to!

Next, when giving it the wellie! As a simple description, the stock power delivery is bumped up to the next level - still as smooth as ever, but it just hits harder and for longer. From 2200+rpm thats where you notice the swell of power building much more and quicker than usual, and the acceleration just keeps building. 2nd gear traction became compromised on greasy roads, not so much when it dried up later, but it was always something I had to consider when doling out the power. Higher gears became more potent - 4th has a real feeling of torquey shove now, rather than a linear build up of acceleration. 3rd gear also triggered the traction control in the damp occasionally, and hardly ever in the dry.

In my friends impression, he enjoyed it plenty. He says in terms of a comparison, it is now definitely faster than a e46 m3 in straight-line pace. The quicker revving through a gear makes the car sound more aggressive. It might just be my imagination, but I thought that all the usual sounds I hear throughout the rev range have shifted down a few hundred rpm.
Nice review mate! Sounds quite similar to my experience with the first Evotech flash on my car which should be more or less similar to this map. I'm looking forward to trying all this (apparently very easy!) procedure out myself.

What kind of DME did the AP identify in your case? (as it was apparently supported already)
Quote:
So one day in, I\'m very happy - it is early days however and I just wanted to get my first impressions out there, and go from there. Glad I did stage one rather that go straight into stage 2, there\'s plenty of fun to be had at this level and it\'ll prolong the modding experience a little longer!
And then on to stage 3... I'm sure you'll notice the power to be on another level still with stage 2. At least that's how I felt when I went from my Evotech flash (max. 14psi) to the GIAC stage 2 (16.5psi).
Quote:
This Saturday I\'ve ditched the other half
Not permanently I hope!

Alpina_B3_Lux
      01-26-2012, 12:36 PM   #3
m1bjr
LSD - No, you're not seeing things
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Baby F36 Gran Coupe

Quote:
Are you a web designer?
      01-26-2012, 12:39 PM   #4
335iLondon
Captain
Rep
Drives: 07' 335i Msport

Glad to hear you are happy with it!
Sounds as straight forward as advertised for install.

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts once you have been for a proper test.
Has the rev limited been raised?

I am looking forward to trying out the linear maps myself, as I fing myself never putting the pedal to the floor as it make no real difference on stick throttle. ie 80% trottle is near 100% power.

Anyone know if there is a way to maintain battery charge during this process?
Quick drive before hand may help? obviously turn off DRL but is a pain for me to go find jump cables in central london!
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2012, 03:52 PM   #5
zltm089
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335i SE Coupe Space Grey

Garage List
2006 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Thank you for the reviews and pics!!!!!!

It looks very good!!!!...

Did you drive with all the traction control aids on?

so, definitely the car is faster,OK,

but by how much would you say?...is it a "blow your fucking mind" fast or is it just a bit faster and more torquey? how much bhp do you reckon you've gained?
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2012, 04:51 PM   #6
Nigelo
Lieutenant
Rep

Not a web designer, although I do tinker - those blasted slashes appear because of some issue with the iPhone app

I've heard of flashes needing to settle, and this seems to hold true for this also - it's a bit more alive at lower rpm now, more 'perky' and a bit more punchy from 3k onwards now.

Lower gears are a bit 'Warp factor 9 Mr Sulu!" now, hold the wheel and get ready to work to keep her straight if the ground is damp. From 4th up it's more of the "am I really doing xyz speed, cos I was only doing abc speed just a moment ago, and I don't really want to go to jail" type - steady insistent acceleration of the aeroplane take off type. It is a definite and easily felt improvement - I would say going straight to stage 2 would be a bit daunting if you get the same step up again from stage 1 to 2.

Worth it? Definitely! I hate untapped potential and this modification unleashes that!
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2012, 05:00 PM   #7
RaihaX
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 08' 135i

Wait till you got stage 2+fmic aggressive map
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2012, 05:01 PM   #8
Dele Z.
Bad Badtz-Maru
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E93 335i

Good write up

Are these available for the N55?
      01-26-2012, 05:33 PM   #9
m1bjr
LSD - No, you're not seeing things
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Baby F36 Gran Coupe

Quote:
Not a web designer, although I do tinker - those blasted slashes appear because of some issue with the iPhone app

Good on you for pioneering something different. I always like to see that myself.

Things will 'settle', this is the ECU automatically adapting to changes in several inputs.
      01-26-2012, 05:54 PM   #10
Nigelo
Lieutenant
Rep

In response to some of the other questions I missed:

I experimented with the trio of settings, all on, one dtc button press, and off. With full on, you can boot away to your hearts content, but you'll get a little wiggle and power being pulled back. In the other modes, you can easily get caught out in the wet if you just sink the boot in with 2nd or 3rd. That said, I found it easier though to play with the back end as i had the power on demand to break traction, rather than not having enough when stock and ending up just accelerating away.

If you have a trickle charger I'd maybe have that plugged in while doing the flashing - I was lucky in some respects as I still had enough juice to complete the flash - I'd have been jiggered if it had died completely half way through!! :S

I reckon if I went with BMW saying the car has 306bhp as stock, I'd say 360-370 would be a good guess. I'll be interested to see how much more torque the catless downpipes bring to the party later on!
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2012, 02:40 AM   #11
Alpina_B3_Lux
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Audi R8 LMX, BMW M550i xDrive

Garage List
2009 335i  [8.90]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dele Z. View Post
Good write up

Are these available for the N55?
No, not yet. They've apparently started developing it, but it will be some time before it will be released. Summer this year would be my guess.

Alpina_B3_Lux
      01-27-2012, 04:55 AM   #12
Cozy
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E82 135i

Great review, I look forward to getting mine, it has been in San Francisco for about 100 days so far.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2012, 04:59 AM   #13
335iLondon
Captain
Rep
Drives: 07' 335i Msport

Mine is Clearing UK customs! - As should yours Jamjay
For the last two days so most likely waiting for a letter requesting duty payment
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2012, 05:01 AM   #14
Cozy
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

I hope so, the tracking info has been stuck at SF for a while now
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2012, 06:24 AM   #15
doughboy
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 Comp 6MT

Good work Nigelo,

As said, nice to hear about something 'new' on the scene here.

It seems too easy to be true - talk about 'plug and play' - you don't even have to open the bonnet! Perfect for the Playstation Generation!

Last edited by doughboy; 01-27-2012 at 07:04 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2012, 12:36 PM   #16
Nigelo
Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks guys!

Just one more little update - my car was recognised as N54 (I8A0S), hopefully that means there'll be no 'unrecognised rom' messages for anyone else here!
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2012, 09:39 AM   #17
Nigelo
Lieutenant
Rep

Had my uprated intercooler fitted on Saturday and by wonderful coincidence Cobb released beta maps for a stage 1+fmic so I've flashed them just there now. Mini update to come shortly!
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2012, 10:14 AM   #18
Cozy
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Looking forward to it! It's said that the v400 maps are smoother/more linear in power delivery so it might feel totally different or dare I say it, slower because you don't get the kick in the back.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2012, 11:26 AM   #19
Nigelo
Lieutenant
Rep

It is most definitely smoother, but I reckon the fmic has allowed them to bump the power up so that you still get a kick.

Leaving work soon, so I'll be taking the long way home!
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2012, 11:39 AM   #20
Cozy
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Go for it !
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2012, 12:35 PM   #21
Nigelo
Lieutenant
Rep

Yeah, definitely definitely not slower

The power comes in hard, stays on right the way round to 6000rpm before any noticeable drop. But the best thing is that the power doesn't come in as apparent 'stages' now - it's much easier to plant your foot and know what's coming throughout the rev range. (this is stage 1+fmic aggressive stock throttle v4.00, coming from stage 1 aggressive stock throttle v3.02737373blablabla)

Flip, what's stage 2+fmic aggressive going to be like!!!
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2012, 02:30 PM   #22
Cozy
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Sounds great! From what I've read the normal Stage 1 feels tame but eliminates those 'power stages' in the rev range so to be honest it's probably quicker. I've copied the v301 maps to my PC so if I don't like v400 I'll go back but this +FMIC map sounds lovely!

Which FMIC are you using? I'm torn between ETS and Forge.
Appreciate 0