E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > p30ff after dealer cleaned intake valves

02-17-2012, 10:31 PM   #1
805beemer
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

p30ff after dealer cleaned intake valves

First off, my car has been running cobb stage 2+ sport and aggresive maps no problems for 4-5k miles now. Never had any boost leaks after having my IC installed. 55k miles

So I had my intake valve cleaning done by the dealer using the Walnut shell blaster. Car ran fine, no rough idle just wanted to have it done and they gave me a good price. It was their first time doing the valve cleaning before so they had their master tech do the job. My SA is cool with mods, so I asked him if they needed to do any programming, so I could reflash the car back to stock and he said no, you can leave the tune on. When I went to take pics of the valves, he had the intake removed from the head but just pushed aside so he could do the first valve to get a feel for the machine before removing it completley to get the cylinders close to the firewall. When I was taking pics I noticed some walnut shells, which basically look like sawdust, in the intake tubes that the DCI connect too. The tech said he cleaned them out before putting the car back together as best he could. It seemed as though there was more loose walnut shells around the engine bay then I've seen from other people's pics. He said not to worry about them damageing the engine or turbo though, because the walnut shells will just burn up, and thats why their used.

Anyways, the master tech said he drove the car and it ran fine for him apparently. But as soon as I picked it up and gunned it on the onramp the half engine light came on, and the code is p30ff. Took the car back the next morning and left the tune on so they could read the code. Then they asked if I would falsh the car back to stock and I did. Car won't throw code under stock tune. They couldn't find any obvious leaks so they did two smoke tests, but found no leak. I asked if they pressurize the smoke test since its only leaking underboost, but apparently they dont have the equipment to do so. I'm sure its either a loose connection somewhere in between the FMIC outlet and the intake manifold, or some walnut shells tried to vent through the DV's and they won't seal anymore. I asked the tech how he went about checkng to see if the DV's are sealing properly and what he did to check if their working properly. He said you just pull on them.

So they gave me the car back and the SA wants me to drive it around stock for a week to see if the car will throw the code. I asked him if he could see about replacing the DV's and he said he would look into it. I loaded up Stage 2+ sport to see if theres still a leak and sure enough...p30ff. Car wont make more than 9 lbs boost. Just enough not to throw the code stock.

Any advice I can give my SA and the Master tech. Any vacuum lines he may have damged when pushing the intake aside to clean the first valve? Should they take the intake and charge pipe off, and reinstall double checking all connections? The master tech is trying to tell me "now that he vlaves are clean the turbos are making more boost." Which makes no sense to me whatsoever. They shouldn't have to work as hard now that the valves aren't choked up with carbon. I'm going to check tomorrow once it's light out to see if i can find any loose connections. I also will try removing the dv's and see if I can clean them somehow.

Thanks for any help, it sucks having clean valves, and not being to see any difference in perfromance.

Oh, and heres some pics of the valves. The first one has been cleaned already.
Attached Images

Last edited by 805beemer; 02-17-2012 at 10:38 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2012, 10:39 PM   #2
805beemer
Captain
United_States
Rep

more pics
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-17-2012, 10:45 PM   #3
805beemer
Captain
United_States
Rep

and heres the rest
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-18-2012, 03:26 AM   #4
Yvette
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M

man hope it gets resolved easily
it sux having a issue w/o knowing what it is....especially if its your car.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2012, 04:13 AM   #5
GmoBmw
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

looks like they did a good job. I hope you fix the leak.
      02-18-2012, 02:24 PM   #6
805beemer
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GmoBmw View Post
looks like they did a good job. I hope you fix the leak.
me too, the car is so slow running the stock tune
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2012, 03:40 PM   #7
GmoBmw
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 805beemer View Post
me too, the car is so slow running the stock tune
hehe Tell me about it. When I installed my JB4 the very first time It misfired at WOT lol... So I had to run around with Map 0 for the first week till my sparkplugs and tool got to my house... Was SUPER lame.
      02-18-2012, 04:18 PM   #8
E90SoFlo
Banned
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

Be thankful that you are getting the 30ff at STOCK boost so the dealer has to fix it.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2012, 04:35 PM   #9
805beemer
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90SoFlo View Post
Be thankful that you are getting the 30ff at STOCK boost so the dealer has to fix it.
I wish! Car will make 9lbs of boost, but no more. So it isn't throwing the code stock. Either way the car ran great before brininging it in for the valve cleaning. So I feel they should fix it regardless.

I just went and looked over the car now. It looks like the 1/2" vacuum hose that sits in front of the DCI connects to the HPFP, at least i think thats whats it connecting too. The connetion at the HPFP seems kinda loose, like its not locked in tight. It also looks like the silcone coupler that joins the two charge pipes may have pushed down the t bolt clamp below the rib in the charge pipe that keeps it from blowing off. I don't have any tools so I'm gunna take it to my dads tomorrow and start pulling off the DCI, engine cover so I can get a better view of everything.

Does anyone know how to remove the DV's so I can see if there all cruded up with walnut shells?
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2012, 06:21 PM   #10
805beemer
Captain
United_States
Rep

Okay, so I took all the DV's off the charge pipe at all four points where they connect and cleaned them as best I could. Definetly some oil and walnut shells stuck in my charge pipe. Also checked all connections between fmic outlet and intake manifold. Looked okay to me.

Took off the cowl and engine cover and noticed the two vacuum lines running behind the oil filter housing. One of the lines looks like it snapped and someone tried to couple them together using some larger diameter soft hose. Should have tacken a pic, but I'm pretty sure its not supposed to be like that as the other vaccumn line right next to it looked different. Took car out for a drive and its back to making full boost, yessssss! Then sure enough, half engine light comes on, but this time I'm getting p30fc instead of p30ff. And even with the half engine light on, it's still making full boost? Any thoughts???
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2012, 06:59 PM   #11
335(EX)(EYE)
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 n54 & n55 / e46 330ci DD

Might be ur waste gates r having isssues. I was getting the 30ff and turbos needed to be replaced cuz wastegaye was stuck open. Good luck. Check the vacume lines under the engine cover. There r also some diy on here to vacume test leak the she system.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2012, 12:36 AM   #12
805beemer
Captain
United_States
Rep

Just took the car out for another spin and beat the piss out of it but no more CEL Car seems back to normal, but tomorrow will be the real test when I get some e85 in there and load up the aggresive map. But on cobb stage 2+ sport she's back to peaking around 17+ psi. Only thing I did was clean the DV's where they plug into the chargepipe, and turbo inlet tubes.

P.S. car sounds badass without the cowl on. Might have to leave it like that for a week or two.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2012, 12:02 AM   #13
805beemer
Captain
United_States
Rep

Finally got around to trying out the Stage 2+ aggresive map to make sure that wouldn't through any codes and she passed with flying colors! Now that the cars running normal again I can definetly notice a difference in power with the clean valves. Stage 2+ sport map feels almost as good as the aggresive map felt before the valve cleaning, and the aggresive map is just rediculous now. Can't wait to get my meth kit and for the v400 maps to be released.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2012, 07:06 AM   #14
BoostedE90
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 335i 6MT

Nice work!
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2012, 03:28 PM   #15
mandown
Rep

I just threw the P30FC code myself for the first time after running stage 1 aggressive for about 5 months. I went WOT on the highway against a 2001/02 Camaro SS and got half engine light but it never cut power. Cleared code and will just have to wait and see if it comes back. The driver of the Camaro was not happy that he could not beat me.

Last edited by mandown; 02-23-2012 at 04:22 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2012, 04:00 PM   #16
805beemer
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandown View Post
I just threw the P30FC code myself for the first time after running stage 1 agressive for about 5 months. I went WOT on the highway against a 2001/02 Camaro SS and got half engine light but it never cut power. Cleared code and will just have to wait and see if it comes back. The driver of the Camaro was not happy that he could not beat me.
My car only threw the p30fc code the one time right after I cleaned the DV's and hasn't come back since. It only takes about 15 minutes to remove the cowl, and pull off all the DV's for a quick cleaning. Might give it a shot. The P30fc must be for a small boost leak, cause it didn't cut power like p30ff.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2012, 04:26 PM   #17
mandown
Rep

I will get in there and tinker if it throws the code again. It was the first time I got the car up to that speed. Hopefully an isolated event. My car once misfired and threw a code on the first day I had it installed. Other than that, no issues.