E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - California > Anyone here run a business that uses bar code scanners/inventory tracking?

03-05-2012, 04:13 PM   #1
tracerit
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13 BRZ Limited 6MT

Anyone here run a business that uses bar code scanners/inventory tracking?

I'm helping my uncle with a grocery store supply business and the market is still using paper and pen to order items. It creates such a strain for everyone here because we end up having to retype the stuff to keep track of things on our end. I'm looking to get them to implement some modern day tech to help both ends out. I'd like to walk into a Walmart to see how they run their inventory systems but I've been denied already :/
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2012, 06:45 PM   #2
kiwi29
Team iTouge
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 M-Tech 328i

I was thinking of running my parents store the same way, the only problem is getting a hang of it and remembering to add all of the packages in. find someone to program the computer(s) to read how many items are in one package and how many packages are on a pallet. From there set each command to read how many are scanned through the system when being bought there's more to it but I'm not so sure of the rest
Driving is like having sex.
It really is. You can read up all you want about how to please a woman, you can look at all the diagrams in the world, but just like the clitoris, you won't know what the hell an apex is before you actually find it.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2012, 07:00 PM   #3
El Cheapo Loco
douchebaggo
Rep
Drives: stick

This is not something you can easily implement without some experience. Large corporations usually have custom apps designed for their unique process, it won't help you at all.

You'd want some simple inventory control software that can integrate with your accounting app. Something like this: http://www.pos-software.org/inventory_control.html

Again, you want someone who has done this before to do this for you. Your uncle's business is not something you want to be experimenting with.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2012, 07:22 PM   #4
VMRWheels
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: BMW

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [10.00]
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
2013 BMW F30  [0.00]
2014 BMW F22  [0.00]
2013 BMW F06  [0.00]
Try doing some research on POS systems or Point of Sale systems. There are many designed for small businesses but also restaurant type systems. But as elcheapoloco stated, most companies use programs that help them keep track of everything. Maybe if you're really good at Excel, you could make a spreadsheet and save some money.
      03-05-2012, 09:04 PM   #5
tracerit
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13 BRZ Limited 6MT

POS systems is the key. Thanks. I'll browse through google now, amazing how much information comes up when you get the right search term haha. It's expensive (after adding all the packages and then for each lane).

The market is not keeping track of anything. They just monitor how much they sold compared to how much they bought. My uncle and dad found a few people who took advantage of the system and kicked them out.

While I agree that it's a risk "experimenting" with the business, but there's no real problems with the way the market is doing things now. We're just looking to do it quicker and if there are any changes coming along it'll be executed parallel to their old method to make sure we have some type of plan B.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2012, 09:10 PM   #6
MrRetep
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 435i M-Sport

I'm no pro, But I've set up a small video game shop here in OC with their pos system, used to keep track of hundreds if not thousands of games in store and online. I also helped setup a strictly inventory system for a much larger company(keeping track of assets). I'm willing to help, but cant offer any professional services. PM me if you have any questions
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2012, 09:18 PM   #7
Chowbow
pew pew
Rep
Drives: 三三五i

Garage List
I worked IT for a warehouse distribution center in Norcal and setup the systems used to track inventory, accounting, purchasing, etc. Everything was barcoded and scanned. From my experience there I would suggest getting a basic POS system that has some expandability and has a support team that can do some custom functionality. I visited tons of successful distribution businesses where everything is about picking, packing, logistics, and inventory control. When it came down to it, every business seemed to have some custom functionality added that they needed specifically for their business. Do your research and find a good system - it will be the backbone of the business and any outages or interruptions will wreak havoc once you start relying on the system.