E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > E92 335xi or i

03-22-2012, 08:46 AM   #1
2M
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Mineral Grey M2

E92 335xi or i

Im looking into buying a 335... my question is if I want to do JB4 + Bolt ons, what would be a better choice the RWD or the XI ... I suppose the XI would handle that power a lot better than the i ... What do you guys think?
      03-22-2012, 08:49 AM   #2
tscdennab
Banned
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

Garage List
2008 BMW  [6.24]
If you really want big power with no problems, get the i. Less transmission losses, and with proper tires you can handle the power every bit as good as the xi (in fact, better).
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2012, 09:05 AM   #3
redlineryder
Private
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
Originally Posted by tscdennab View Post
If you really want big power with no problems, get the i. Less transmission losses, and with proper tires you can handle the power every bit as good as the xi (in fact, better).
I'm pretty sure an xi with lsd and good tires will put the power down better than an i with lsd and good tires.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2012, 09:06 AM   #4
Willizm
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 335Xi and 01 Trans Am WS6

putting the power down and showing good numbers on a dyno are 2 different things.

I like my xi but at times wish it were rwd.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2012, 09:14 AM   #5
redlineryder
Private
Rep
Drives: .

OP was asking which would put the power down better, not which would make more power. AWD > RWD.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2012, 10:24 AM   #6
2jzn54
Captain
Rep
Drives: 07 E90 335i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by redlineryder View Post
OP was asking which would put the power down better, not which would make more power. AWD > RWD.
Perhaps I'm misinterpreting what the OP means by handling the power but...

He said handle... not put down. Also depends on what he's looking to do.. If launching/dragging is his thing the xi clearly wins in "putting down the power" and the i from a roll/tracking... Upgrading to an lsd would obviously be a factor as well.

In terms of the car handling the power (reliability/cost) wise clearly the i wins in the long run.. Both have their weak points especially when you start upgrading and abusing, but imagine the cost of having to replace a transfer case... that alone should cover the cost of an upgraded diff,axles, and clutch no? Perhaps it depends on who is quoting you on the replacement of the transfer case, but a buddy at work was quoted over 6k* by BMW (ridiculous stealer story) for parts and labor on a 328xi.

*Edit: $2.5k was the transfer case quote.. He was quoted $6k for something else a few days later.

Last edited by 2jzn54; 03-22-2012 at 03:09 PM.. Reason: threw in 328xi as a reference. go drive! your wasting your time reading my reason for editing!... and updated the quote
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2012, 11:34 AM   #7
Chrisred
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 335xi coupe

Get the i. I regret getting the xi. Sensitive diff n transfer case. Shit suspension. Less aftermarket parts available. Etc...
      03-22-2012, 02:15 PM   #8
2M
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Thanks guys, I definitely made up my mind. I was leaning towards an i from the beginning and this just
      03-22-2012, 02:16 PM   #9
2M
Colonel
United_States
Rep

made me rule out the xi
      03-22-2012, 02:24 PM   #10
AWD Addict
Chief Executive
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi 6spd Coupe

Garage List
2008 335xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by redlineryder View Post
I'm pretty sure an xi with lsd and good tires will put the power down better than an i with lsd and good tires.
^ That.

I think the maintenance comments made by Daily Three are nonsense. No offense.

I think an xi without an LSD would put the power down better than an i as well. The xi behaves a lot like an i in lots of situations. At initial launch, and at highways speeds, the xi is very RWD biased (roughly 80%).

Negatives are some driveline loss, and about 200lbs in weight. Also, the xi doesn't have a real sport suspension option, where the sport package on the i does have better shocks. The xi's suspension is really just the standard i suspension, even if you get the sport package.

The driveline loss on these cars is pretty minor compared with other AWD sports cars though, and with BMW's heavy RWD bias, you really get a nice AWD sporty package. Hooking up this powerplant on 4 wheels is really fantastic. But you should honestly drive both, and make the call.

Also take into account winter driving conditions, if you have them. The xi simply destroys bad weather, particularly with good snows on.

Last edited by AWD Addict; 03-22-2012 at 02:32 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2012, 02:41 PM   #11
Eracer76
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E89 Z4 35i

I love my xi... I've had many rear wheel drive cars before and some even had LSD's and I was still tired of having traction problems, especially in the rain. So when it was time for me to buy my 335, I wasn't going to settle for anything but an xi... I drive my xi year round with high performance all season tires and it still does great in the snow compared to RWD, and the xi traction in the rain is awesome! Not to mention being able to brake boost from a stop on dry pavement... its definitely the best feeling in the world when the car throws you in the seat as it jumps off the line!!
2009 Z4 35i 6mt, SpeedTech 6266 Gen2 turbo kit, Tial WG, VRSF 7.5 race IC, ER charge pipe, Tial BOV, Radium Fuel cell w/ surge tank and twin Walbro 525 pumps, Radium FPR and return line, Bluetooth ethanol sensor, Phoenix intake manifold w/PI, JB4 tuner, PR coil packs, Custom oil cooler, ECS Radiator, Spec 3+clutch, Mfactory flywheel, single 3.5" into dual 3" exhaust, H&R springs, 19" TSW wheels, 235/19 & 275/19 RE11 tires

Last edited by Eracer76; 03-22-2012 at 02:47 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2012, 02:45 PM   #12
hemi to e90
dat boost doe
Poland
Rep
Drives: 10 335i 21 740li

XI has a ton of understeer, less road feel, less fuel efficiency, more weight, less power, and much more complexity.

unless you wanna claim the "i live where it snows" card, its a no brainer.

even then, there are these things called winter tires, much more effective than just getting awd.
      03-22-2012, 02:46 PM   #13
2jzn54
Captain
Rep
Drives: 07 E90 335i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWD Addict View Post
^ That.

I think an xi without an LSD would put the power down better than an i as well. The xi behaves a lot like an i in lots of situations. At initial launch, and at highways speeds, the xi is very RWD biased (roughly 80%).

Negatives are some driveline loss, and about 200lbs in weight. Also, the xi doesn't have a real sport suspension option, where the sport package on the i does have better shocks. The xi's suspension is really just the standard i suspension, even if you get the sport package.

The driveline loss on these cars is pretty minor compared with other AWD sports cars though, and with BMW's heavy RWD bias, you really get a nice AWD sporty package. Hooking up this powerplant on 4 wheels is really fantastic. But you should honestly drive both, and make the call.

Also take into account winter driving conditions, if you have them. The xi simply destroys bad weather, particularly with good snows on.
How? I'm only referencing the added cost of xi related failures... Other than that I don't think there are any other issues with "handling" the power...

Would like an explanation for your claim... if your gonna call me out back it up.. you owe it to the OP No harsh feelings

EDIT: Pretty sure I was incorrect on the 6k figure... He was quoted 600 then 2500 then over 6000 then eventually paid nothing.. the 2500 quote was for the transfer case... still the price of a quaife installed.. I'll update my earlier post, but regardless having an xi in general exposes you to risks (limited or not) that you simply cannot have in an i... and they can be quite costly.

Last edited by 2jzn54; 03-22-2012 at 04:09 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2012, 02:51 PM   #14
hemi to e90
dat boost doe
Poland
Rep

Quote:
^ That.

80% BIAS? i doubt that
      03-22-2012, 02:55 PM   #15
Beemw335
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335i

I with lsd.
/thread
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2012, 02:55 PM   #16
AWD Addict
Chief Executive
Rep

Garage List
2008 335xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by hemi to e90 View Post
80% BIAS? i doubt that
Apparently you have a lot of reading to do. BAsed on the quotes below, you're clearly speaking not only from ignorance on the facts, but it's obvious you've never driven both.

Certainly not a good position to be in for this discussion.

Quote:
XI has a ton of understeer, less road feel, less fuel efficiency, more weight, less power, and much more complexity.
My understeer was mild enough that just adjusting tire pressures neutralized most of it. On the flip side, the RWD is an oversteer disaster, even in just lightly wetted roads and sand, the ass is out even at a mild crusing speed.

Too much oversteer isn't any better than too much understeer. But I promise, there's no tire pressure adjustment that's going to neutralize the i.

As for less road feel and less power, I'd like to see what science you have behind that, because it's frankly a load of bull.

Quote:
unless you wanna claim the "i live where it snows" card, its a no brainer.

even then, there are these things called winter tires, much more effective than just getting awd.
WOw. That's simply false. Having driven both, I can tell you a RWD car with snows is still a disaster compared to an AWD Car with A/S rubber. It's not even close. With wheel slippage, the i becomes a one-wheel drive vehicle. Snow tires aren't going to fix that, and I promise you, having driven multiple RWD bimmers, one-wheel drive is a f*cking nightmare.

Last edited by AWD Addict; 03-22-2012 at 03:00 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2012, 02:55 PM   #17
AWD Addict
Chief Executive
Rep

Garage List
2008 335xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemw335 View Post
I with lsd.
/thread
I'd take an xi with LSD over and I with LSD any day.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2012, 03:11 PM   #18
hemi to e90
dat boost doe
Poland
Rep

Quote:
Apparently you have a lot of reading to do. BAsed on the quotes below, you're clearly speaking not only from ignorance on the facts, but it's obvious you've never driven both.

Certainly not a good position to be in for this discussion.
prove to me im wrong on the torque bias.

Quote:

My understeer was mild enough that just adjusting tire pressures neutralized most of it. On the flip side, the RWD is an oversteer disaster, even in just lightly wetted roads and sand, the ass is out even at a mild crusing speed.
im sorry are you trying to justify out the fact that you have increased weight on your front axle? physics.

Quote:
Too much oversteer isn't any better than too much understeer. But I promise, there's no tire pressure adjustment that's going to neutralize the i.

As for less road feel and less power, I'd like to see what science you have behind that, because it's frankly a load of bull.
all always drive cars have less road feel, its the oldest anti-awd point in the book, you add more weight and componets to the steering column, you end up with less road feel.

Quote:
WOw. That's simply false. Having driven both, I can tell you a RWD car with snows is still a disaster compared to an AWD Car with A/S rubber. It's not even close. With wheel slippage, the i becomes a one-wheel drive vehicle. Snow tires aren't going to fix that, and I promise you, having driven multiple RWD bimmers, one-wheel drive is a f*cking nightmare.
[/quote]

having a bmw rwd, and having had multiple awd cars i cant tell you that drive type is a small portion as to all weather suitability. for example, braking, handling response, etc are more of a basis of tire selection than drive type.

so to summarize
awd cars weight more
awd cars have more drivetrain loss
awd cars are slower after launches
awd cars have less road feel
awd cars have more complexity in their systems
awd cars (in the e9x case) have less ability to handle high hp setups.
      03-22-2012, 03:12 PM   #19
BMWsky
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
...My understeer was mild enough that just adjusting tire pressures neutralized most of it. On the flip side, the RWD is an oversteer disaster, even in just lightly wetted roads and sand, the ass is out even at a mild crusing speed.

I have to say this is the first time I've ever heard of the RWD being an oversteer disaster.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2012, 03:15 PM   #20
MurderedOut
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: '08 BMW E90, '09 BMW E60 528i

get the xi and remove the x or get the i and add an x hmmmm decisions decisions lol
2008 E90 Wrapped Matte Black & Carbon Fiber Roof, 19" Staggered Miro 111(Satin Black), Black Housing Halo Projectors, Satin Black Grill, Blacked Out Emblems, MTX Thunder Sub with Alpine Amp, K&N Air Filter, BMS PBX
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2012, 03:18 PM   #21
hemi to e90
dat boost doe
Poland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWsky View Post
I have to say this is the first time I've ever heard of the RWD being an oversteer disaster.
dsc
      03-22-2012, 03:28 PM   #22
BMWsky
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
dsc

I get that, but you still have a pretty fair amount of understeer built into the vehicle. Most people that track the car do everything we can to eliminate the understeer and induce some oversteer.
Appreciate 0