E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Ultrasonic Fuel Injector Cleaning

04-13-2012, 10:36 AM   #1
phil200tdi
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335i M Sport E90 LCI manual

Ultrasonic Fuel Injector Cleaning

Anyone come across this before or had it done?

I'm interested in trying this out and at £12.50 per injector seems to be a reasonably good option over purchasing new injectors (£100 each).

http://injectortune.co.uk/

Am i correct in thinking that these will not require recoding to the vehicle subsequently?
      04-13-2012, 12:18 PM   #2
parapaul
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E91 330d M Sport

Garage List
Looks a much cheaper alternative - and safer than buying any old used parts on fleabay or from a breaker.
      04-13-2012, 03:08 PM   #3
phil200tdi
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

yep, I think i may have a dodgy injector (misfires at WOT) and happened upon this refurbishment job.. Issue is the downtime on the car but I can probably live with 3 or 4 days.

They also do head work, www.headtune.co.uk which is how I originally found them - I'm still looking for someone to clean the intake valves. Taking the head off would be a bit extreme to solve this though!
      04-13-2012, 04:59 PM   #4
A_P
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil200tdi View Post
Anyone come across this before or had it done?

I'm interested in trying this out and at £12.50 per injector seems to be a reasonably good option over purchasing new injectors (£100 each).

http://injectortune.co.uk/

Am i correct in thinking that these will not require recoding to the vehicle subsequently?
I was looking into this a few months ago as I was having intermitant misfires. The consensus at the time was that its rather unescessary, as the only reason to do it would be if you have severe carbon deposits, and even then it may not be worth it.

best option if you havent already tried is plug in a diagnostics. Check which cyclinders are causing problems and check the harness connnectors to the coils ( if a coil has gone it would be misfiring/not firing at all times). Failing this if it is a definate injector problem then I guess replace it, they were around 180 for bosch at the time.

P.s im pretty sure the old injectors given for cleaning wouldnt need to be recoded however worth checking with them before, and also has to be more than £12.50 per injector bro, what about labour costs?

Look forward to hearing what you decide.

Best of luck bud.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2012, 06:22 PM   #5
rovers_andy
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335D M-Sport Coupe

To be honest the only time you would want to use Ultrasonic cleaning on an injector nozzle would be if it had been leaking fuel and causing heavy buildup of carbon on the nozzle tip. This is coming from working on industrial size V16's though so not sure how relevent it will be to your car.

If it is a misfire i'm not so sure cleaning the injector would solve the issue
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2012, 02:03 AM   #6
Cozy
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E82 135i

A few guys over on AudiSport bought their own ultrasonic cleaners at around £50. They then completed the job themselves.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2012, 02:26 AM   #7
phil200tdi
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

They do a full refurb on the injector so it's good as new.

My only concern is that our injectors have piezo electric components and it may be these which are at fault... Guess I'll just bite the bullet and buy new.
      04-14-2012, 05:53 AM   #8
335i E92
Captain
Rep
Drives: M22

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil200tdi
They do a full refurb on the injector so it's good as new.

My only concern is that our injectors have piezo electric components and it may be these which are at fault... Guess I'll just bite the bullet and buy new.
Been down to Darren woods this morning to inspect my plugs as was getting a little black smoke on start up. Plug in cylinder 1 had a lot of carbon build up, removed the injector and the nozzle was also caked in carbon so much so that it was obstructing the spray of fuel. Replaced both plug and injector and the car is running way smoother now, even the idle shakes have now disappeared.

Injector & coupling were only £90 so I'de say replace it rather than dickin around with cleaning it. As you say, there is a reason why it gets gunked up in the first place, if it's leaking because the injector is toast then the build up will return pretty quickly.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2012, 07:39 AM   #9
jimpom23
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

I had a ballache with misfire codes on my S2k, did loads to try and sort, in the end got my injectors cleaned and it fixed it.

I managed to find a garage who had the machinery so just dropped off and they removed/cleaned/refitted meaning I didn't have to run the risk of diy removal/dropping rubber seals down etc
Appreciate 0