E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Having my PE Exhaust installed tomorrow!! Question regarding tuning after.

04-24-2012, 02:13 PM   #1
nyczbmw
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 328xi

Having my PE Exhaust installed tomorrow!! Question regarding tuning after.

Hey everyone,

I'm having my PE Exhaust installed at Tenafly BMW tomorrow. Just a quick question regarding the installation. I spoke to a SA there, and I asked him if a car tune was required after the installation. The SA told me that it doesn't require such a tune. Is this true?

From my past experiences, installing an exhaust on my previous car, I would bring it in to a local shop with a DYNO and have it tuned because of the new back pressure and what not.

Thanks,

Tom
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2012, 02:33 PM   #2
Dr.GumbyM.D.
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 328i

It doesn't require a new tune. Most people don't tune when they get an exhaust around here. The tune is usually seen as another separate upgrade, or if you've already got an exhaust/intake, a new tune can take advantage of those performance parts and get more power out of a plain-vanilla tune.

By all means, bring your car to a local dyno shop who know how to tune and have them tune it. Not required by any means, and it'll definitely help.
      04-24-2012, 03:08 PM   #3
nyczbmw
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.GumbyM.D. View Post
It doesn't require a new tune. Most people don't tune when they get an exhaust around here. The tune is usually seen as another separate upgrade, or if you've already got an exhaust/intake, a new tune can take advantage of those performance parts and get more power out of a plain-vanilla tune.

By all means, bring your car to a local dyno shop who know how to tune and have them tune it. Not required by any means, and it'll definitely help.
Thanks for the input Gumby.

Now, does not tuning the car to reap the benefits of the new upgrades damage any parts of the car itself?
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2012, 03:46 PM   #4
Volasko
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 06 330i E90, 18 530xe G30

Garage List
The new PE won't net you ANY noticeble gains. The stock exhaust was pretty good already!
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2012, 03:58 PM   #5
VirtuousWolf
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 06 BMW 330i SP

I thought the PE nets about 3-5 HP? (Not saying you can actually feel it, but it's there.) Also I have read it revs more freely.

From what I've researched the BMW PE gives you the most gains is that correct?
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2012, 03:59 PM   #6
Chrispy650
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 LCI

Yeah the PE is mostly for sound. Not much performance to be had on this car but by all means you could get an AA tune if you wanted something. Heard nothing but great things about that tune!
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2012, 04:41 PM   #7
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
Not to mention there is no tune offered by BMW for the n52 so you're pretty much asking a SA "should I deny my warranty going forward?"

But yes you can get an aftermarket tune afterwards, just don't tell your SA.

Surprised you went to Difeo, I've had nothing but horrible experience with them. They could not even properly do an oil change on my car.
      04-25-2012, 05:07 PM   #8
pinoye90
Banned
Philippines
Rep
Drives: 07-E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyczbmw View Post
Hey everyone,

I'm having my PE Exhaust installed at Tenafly BMW tomorrow. Just a quick question regarding the installation. I spoke to a SA there, and I asked him if a car tune was required after the installation. The SA told me that it doesn't require such a tune. Is this true?

From my past experiences, installing an exhaust on my previous car, I would bring it in to a local shop with a DYNO and have it tuned because of the new back pressure and what not.

Thanks,

Tom
Question: After you got the PE installed when your first start the car cold does your RPM jump past 2k when starting the motor. Mine does just wondering if this is ok? I am not sure if this is just the ECU not learning yet.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2012, 06:39 PM   #9
joemag94
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: E93 328i

I had my BMW PE installed a few weeks ago at 49,000 miles. There was definitely some hesitation during acceleration and a little rough idle at first but no RPM jumping. I believe the ECU needed to adapt. About 800 miles later it's running and sounding awesome!
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2012, 08:47 AM   #10
nyczbmw
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubbedown View Post
Not to mention there is no tune offered by BMW for the n52 so you're pretty much asking a SA "should I deny my warranty going forward?"

But yes you can get an aftermarket tune afterwards, just don't tell your SA.

Surprised you went to Difeo, I've had nothing but horrible experience with them. They could not even properly do an oil change on my car.
I didn't have a bad experience there at all. My SA Gem was really nice and got everything going smoothly, not to mention my friend is a mechanic at that service center.

I purchased the exhaust there for only $960 because of the current promotion they have running.

Still breaking in the exhaust at the moment guys. Hope to hear/feel a difference in a couple hundred more miles.

Sounds awesome so far too!
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2012, 09:24 AM   #11
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyczbmw View Post
I didn't have a bad experience there at all. My SA Gem was really nice and got everything going smoothly, not to mention my friend is a mechanic at that service center.

I purchased the exhaust there for only $960 because of the current promotion they have running.

Still breaking in the exhaust at the moment guys. Hope to hear/feel a difference in a couple hundred more miles.

Sounds awesome so far too!
I don't have a problem with the SA's nor Gem, she's probably the best one of the team. I just have a problem with a tech forgetting to put my bellypan on after service, and letting me drive 2 weeks until I noticed myself. When I called asking wtf, their response was "oh sorry, yea we were waiting for you to come back so we could put it on. It's here in the service shop..."
      04-26-2012, 09:45 AM   #12
nyczbmw
Private
Rep

Quote:
I don't have a problem with the SA's nor Gem, she's probably the best one of the team. I just have a problem with a tech forgetting to put my bellypan on after service, and letting me drive 2 weeks until I noticed myself. When I called asking wtf, their response was "oh sorry, yea we were waiting for you to come back so we could put it on. It's here in the service shop..."
Wow that's just ridiculous.. hope they didn't forget anything in my car. Sorry to hear!

Dooooooo I want a PE Intake NOW?! ah... this is a never ending cycle of upgrades
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2012, 10:50 AM   #13
Dr.GumbyM.D.
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 328i

Quote:
lol as if I needed another reason to learn how to service my own car...

I'm not in your area, and probably never will be, but my suspicion is that this isn't an isolated incident, because techs are people, and if someone is going to make a bone-headed mistake, it'll be me, damnit.

I guess at least if their mistake causes damage from a dealership, they're insured against it, versus if you do it yourself, you're out your own $$$. You also would probably still be saving a lot of $$$ since you're not using the dealership, so it may work out to net cost savings in the end....
      04-30-2012, 12:39 AM   #14
pinoye90
Banned
Philippines
Rep
Drives: 07-E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by joemag94
I had my BMW PE installed a few weeks ago at 49,000 miles. There was definitely some hesitation during acceleration and a little rough idle at first but no RPM jumping. I believe the ECU needed to adapt. About 800 miles later it's running and sounding awesome!
Never mind it is normal!!!! Next time when you start your car before pushing the start button look at your rpm dash and watch while you push start how high your needle raises... Lol, about 1500k to 2k then it settles down to 600-500 rpm. The PE sound killerrrrrr can't wait till I break it in with the euro intake!!!!
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2012, 10:41 AM   #15
nyczbmw
Private
Rep

hey guys, so I got the PE Exhaust installed, i'm loving the sound it gives off.

my only concern is, it's not giving me the loud exhaust sound that most people seem to have on their video's of their car. i put maybe 300 miles on the exhaust since installation, on idle/or revving, the exhaust doesn't reallly scream yet.

any idea what's up?
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2012, 12:05 PM   #16
Chrispy650
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 LCI

The full sound might not come in til 1k miles or maybe more.
Appreciate 0