E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Need to scratch modding itch!

05-22-2012, 02:55 PM   #1
Spugnut
Walnuts are a blast!
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Need to scratch modding itch!

Help, seriously need to buy some goodies for my standard e92 335 in sparkling graphite!

All this sunshine means I need to buy some stuff in anticipation of a weekend of "tinkering" (and a serious detailing session)

Black grills are a must but can't decide between gloss or matt... I will be plastidipping the chrome around the window, so do they look odd if one is matt and the other gloss?

My other issue is with a lip spoiler. Standard m3 lip is very nice but have seen a few 'deeper' looking efforts on the web.For example mstyle do a competition one and a PD-M one. A bit too obvious looking?

Also, I think an aero front lip is a must, but has anybody any experience of the non oem version from places such as Mstyle? Good fit?

Aggghhhhhh....theres some seriously appealing mods to buy out there
      05-22-2012, 02:57 PM   #2
Spugnut
Walnuts are a blast!
United Kingdom
Rep

Sorry, got carried away. Should not be in the tech forum!
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2012, 03:01 PM   #3
#Tee
Major General
Rep
Drives: yes

plastidip and vinyl would be the must thing to do imo. performance stripes should be on top of that list bar none. Save up money for a vented hood and roof spoiler + tinted tail lights ... this is a list for car of the month material.

You can follow my builds on IG: Tee212
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2012, 03:19 PM   #4
Spugnut
Walnuts are a blast!
United Kingdom
Rep

Hmm, thanks for that response.

Gloss or matt grills for my S.G E92. Merely looking for opinions if it clash with plastidipped (matt finish) window trim. Not suggesting I create some Chav wagon

Aero front lip is a cracking mod. I'm sure many will agree?

And as for the spoiler, as I said the standard lip is very nice but wondering if there are any alternatives that would not look out of place.

Finishing with a sensible drop and some mild spacers to fill the arches I reckon it will look very respectable
      05-22-2012, 03:38 PM   #5
redalex
Enlisted Member
England
Rep
Drives: e92 330d

I have a SG e92 as well and have done/planned the mods you mention. I got my front aero lip from SSDD ready painted. The match and fit are great and I have no complaints.

Can't speak for the grills/trim match because I went the vinyl route but either gloss or matt would be an improvement on the chrome in my view! I'd always stick to subtle and go for the M3 spoiler but that's just me. The world would be a boring place if we were all the same...

Would be good to see some pics when you've made the changes.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2012, 03:47 PM   #6
Spugnut
Walnuts are a blast!
United Kingdom
Rep

Thanks, good to know. Looks to be £275 for a painted aero front lip from SSDD. Quite happy with that!

I sense little confidence in the plasti dip method to transform the window chrome? From what I have read it appears to be popular in the states and holds up well. I think it would probably struggle to hold if it was used in a stone chip prone area such as front grill etc...

Did you vinyl the window trim yourself?
      05-22-2012, 03:49 PM   #7
B005T3D-G
Class Leading Reprobate
Scotland
Rep
Drives: Impreza STi - E92 335i (56)

Garage List
Hi,

My issue with Plastidip is it tends to make things look plastic (Guess that's where the name comes from ) so I'm guessing it would make the window surrounds look cheap and tacky next to the nice shiny glass and paintwork.

I would possibly consider having the surrounds wrapped in Gloss or Matte Black and get the grills to suit so you have some sort of theme going. On a Black car I don't think it matters too much but on your colour I'd have to have them matching.

Just my 2p's worth.

Looking forward to seeing what you go for and get some pics up
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2012, 03:56 PM   #8
Spugnut
Walnuts are a blast!
United Kingdom
Rep

Certainly do not want tacky looking! Have not seen the plasti dip finish up close but on that note I'll investigate vinyl instead..thanks for the heads up!

05-22-2012, 04:26 PM   #9
redalex
Enlisted Member
England
Rep
Drives: e92 330d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spugnut View Post
Thanks, good to know. Looks to be £275 for a painted aero front lip from SSDD. Quite happy with that!

I sense little confidence in the plasti dip method to transform the window chrome? From what I have read it appears to be popular in the states and holds up well. I think it would probably struggle to hold if it was used in a stone chip prone area such as front grill etc...

Did you vinyl the window trim yourself?
£275 is a bargain for the difference it makes. Saves money for further mods/detailing products!

I didn't do the vinyl myself, no. But it was only £80 to have done. Again, makes a real difference.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2012, 06:14 AM   #10
Statler
Major Pain in the Arse
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 320D M Sport

Painted my kidneys gloss black last weekend, they look the dogs with the gloss black window surrounds on mine.

Have just ordered my coded rear lip spoiler and carbon fibre (effect) roundels and wheel centres from Teddy at SSDD.

This is the BMW carbon spoiler sitting on mine, at £399 it was little past my pocket at the time! Weighs about the same as a couple of house flies ;-)

Appreciate 0