E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > PPK cooling

06-20-2012, 07:37 AM   #1
fireline43
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 Mercedes C250

PPK cooling

Has anyone been able to install only the cooling parts of the performance package or is it only possible to get with the computer flash? I'm intrested in the fan and the water cooler, but doesn't seem to be much info on doing that.
Appreciate 1
      06-20-2012, 07:45 AM   #2
5soko
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M5

Is it even worth it? Have the fan and tiny water cooler showed to help keep coolant temps down? Compared to the oem n54 setup..

This would seem more worth while if it was an extra oil cooler instead of a water cooler..
      06-20-2012, 08:41 AM   #3
benzy89
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E90 335i

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [7.50]
The PPK Cooling Kit is $1,300. Just buy an aftermarket fan (Fluidyne, SPAL, Zirgo) for 1/4 of the cost. VAC sells both universal cooling fans and aftermarket radiators, so they can prob make you a better "package" that's still less expensive.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2012, 10:29 AM   #4
fireline43
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by benzy89 View Post
The PPK Cooling Kit is $1,300. Just buy an aftermarket fan (Fluidyne, SPAL, Zirgo) for 1/4 of the cost. VAC sells both universal cooling fans and aftermarket radiators, so they can prob make you a better "package" that's still less expensive.
ah ok, i didnt know if their were aftermarket solutions. Are the fans a decent upgrade for cooling?
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2012, 10:41 AM   #5
benzy89
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [7.50]
I'm sure the OEM fan isn't that great to begin with, otherwise that would eliminate the need for a PPK "Cooling Upgrade Kit". Just like upgrading to a 5" FMIC, if you upgrade to the largest fan that fits w/o cutting things up it'd be a legit cooling upgrade. Call VAC: They've got a shop N54 car (can't remember if it's a 135 or 335) & work on some1s track 1M, so they'll know what fits into the available space.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2012, 07:51 PM   #6
N54_Fan
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireline43 View Post
Has anyone been able to install only the cooling parts of the performance package or is it only possible to get with the computer flash? I'm intrested in the fan and the water cooler, but doesn't seem to be much info on doing that.
I am seriously thinking of doing the same thing. I have been researching this and other options on our N54 for the last few weeks. Yes you can install just the fan and aux radiator but the aux radiator is reportedly only 500cc which is just larger than a 16 oz bottle of water (tiny). So I doubt it adds much to the cooling effect. The real benefit of this is the fan as it is 850W compared to the factory 600W one. It is ~$800 though.

For those that mention buying an after market radiator fan instead it is really not a viable option without some significant custom fabrication. The factory and PPK fans are 20" and the shroud adds another 0.5-1". The depth of the factory and PPK fans plus shroud assembly is between 4-4.25". The fan shroud also covers the back of the intercooler. If you buy the aftermarket fan from zirgo.com or similar then it will be a max of 16" with depth 3.25" and shroud is 1" so it will fit,...BUT the shroud is not going to completely cover the radiator much less the intercooler unless you fabricate it. Lastly, with any aftermarket fan you will need to unplug the factory plug that modulates it. You will likely throw codes since the ECU can not modulate the fan anymore. These after market fans require their own means to control them and dont hook up to factory plugs. I am not willing to risk $500 in aftermarket parts plus install to test if it would work with the ECU plug disconnected when I could spend $800 and KNOW that it will work.

You do NOT need the software to use these. I am also nearly 100% certain that the 1M uses the PPK fan for their radiator. It has the same fan and shroud that will fit our cars.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2012, 08:01 PM   #7
fireline43
Lieutenant
Rep

I'm glad to see im not the only person hear thinking about these things. Does the ducting for the system take out the fog light? I've been interested in finding ways to delete the fogs and have a nice solution to duct in more cooling or intake air
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2012, 08:14 PM   #8
N54_Fan
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I'm glad to see im not the only person hear thinking about these things. Does the ducting for the system take out the fog light? I've been interested in finding ways to delete the fogs and have a nice solution to duct in more cooling or intake air
There is no new ducting for the fan since it replaces the factory one we have. As for the aux radiator I am not sure. I know the 335IS does not have the fog lights but you could keep it if you wanted should you decide to get the aux radiator and put it in the wheel well. Personally I think the aux radiator is a waste. I could not do that anyway because I have the ER dual OC that go in each wheel well.

I plan to delete my fog lights this weekend and cover the holes and entire mesh grill spots with a new custom car grill. In fact it came in the mail today. I bought this Diamond XXL black polished grill and plan to replace all 3 lower grill meshes this weekend. When I am done I will post pics. It should look pretty much stock look. At least that is the goal.

http://www.customcargrills.com/products.asp?cat=1
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2012, 06:28 AM   #9
fireline43
Lieutenant
Rep

Awesome, I look forward to seeing it
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2012, 07:08 AM   #10
5soko
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by N54_Fan
Quote:
I am seriously thinking of doing the same thing. I have been researching this and other options on our N54 for the last few weeks. Yes you can install just the fan and aux radiator but the aux radiator is reportedly only 500cc which is just larger than a 16 oz bottle of water (tiny). So I doubt it adds much to the cooling effect. The real benefit of this is the fan as it is 850W compared to the factory 600W one. It is ~$800 though.

For those that mention buying an after market radiator fan instead it is really not a viable option without some significant custom fabrication. The factory and PPK fans are 20" and the shroud adds another 0.5-1". The depth of the factory and PPK fans plus shroud assembly is between 4-4.25". The fan shroud also covers the back of the intercooler. If you buy the aftermarket fan from zirgo.com or similar then it will be a max of 16" with depth 3.25" and shroud is 1" so it will fit,...BUT the shroud is not going to completely cover the radiator much less the intercooler unless you fabricate it. Lastly, with any aftermarket fan you will need to unplug the factory plug that modulates it. You will likely throw codes since the ECU can not modulate the fan anymore. These after market fans require their own means to control them and dont hook up to factory plugs. I am not willing to risk $500 in aftermarket parts plus install to test if it would work with the ECU plug disconnected when I could spend $800 and KNOW that it will work.

You do NOT need the software to use these. I am also nearly 100% certain that the 1M uses the PPK fan for their radiator. It has the same fan and shroud that will fit our cars.
16oz or 500cc?? So basically that little to almost nothing in regard to cooling!

Interesting, since we have a large radiator already why they choose to go with such a small secondary radiator on the side which will most guaranteed help nothing in temps for coolant than rather going with another oil cooler!
      06-21-2012, 07:41 AM   #11
cstavaru
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i M Sport Sedan 6MT

The PPK cooling does work, I can confirm this. 100F here right now...

One thing every aftermarket manufacturer ignores (besides Dinan and BMW) is the cooling duct to whatever radiator/intercooler/brakes they provide. The cooling ducts are extremely important.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2012, 02:59 PM   #12
BQTuning
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 Z4 sDrive35i M Sport 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5soko View Post
Is it even worth it? Have the fan and tiny water cooler showed to help keep coolant temps down? Compared to the oem n54 setup..

This would seem more worth while if it was an extra oil cooler instead of a water cooler..
After running my car 35 times on the drag in 93 degrees, with absolutely no problems with temps I think was fantastic

Yes the 335iS already comes with the PPK hardware
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2012, 03:47 PM   #13
TurboBimmer
Lieutenant Colonel
Luxembourg
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

I run the PPK radiator on my car and deleted the fog lights, with good results:

Performance Seats, Exhaust, Splitters, Pedals, Steering Wheel / RB Turbos / M3 CF Roof / Brembo GT BBK 355/345 / Rollcage / Forge FMIC / Quaife LSD / Öhlins Road & Track / M3 Suspension Parts / Solid Subframe Bushings / Vorshlag Camberplates / Megan Racing Toe Links / LeatherZ Gauges / Extended M3 DCT Paddles / ER Sports OC / AR OC / Aux Radiator / AR DPs / Alpina TCU / COBB Pro-Tune
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2012, 04:38 PM   #14
N54_Fan
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autobahn335i View Post
I run the PPK radiator on my car and deleted the fog lights, with good results:

This is good to know!!

I have the ER dual OC in my wheel wells so a new auxilliary radiator is not in my future. However I do have excellent shrouding. I also decided today that I will upgrade to the 335IS fan and fan shroud assembly as well as the thermostat and water pump. If I still have heat problems I will let you guys know. I am planning fog light delet this weekend too.

BuraQ,... 95 degrees at the drag strip is NOT a meaningful stress to determine adequate cooling issues in my opinion. I have run in 97-100 degrees at the strip with no coolong mods and been fine with 15psi on Procede. Most people experience limp mode and heat/cooling issues with sustained stress for 20-30 min track sessions. That's why we are trying to improve cooling.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2012, 05:02 PM   #15
Bagelfast
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Im just interested to see some before and after results.. OR 335is datalogs of coolant temps vs a 335i coolant temps...
Such a small extra coolant cooler doesnt seem like it will make such a drastic difference? Maybe the fan?
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2012, 06:37 PM   #16
N54_Fan
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1LUMI View Post
Im just interested to see some before and after results.. OR 335is datalogs of coolant temps vs a 335i coolant temps...
Such a small extra coolant cooler doesnt seem like it will make such a drastic difference? Maybe the fan?
Well I plan on logging coolant temps since I will have a gauge installed shortly. (I dont want to do the dash hack every time I start the car.) However, I do not have baseline temps but this has been documented quite well in the "limp mode party" sticky in the Tracking section of the forum. I plan to document with my Procede tune and my upgraded ER Oil coolers, 335IS radiator fan, water pump and thermostat. Most of the people not having issues with limp mode at the track have similar mods but they are usually running stock tune instead of Procede/JB or the like. As far as I know there is little to no documentation of track coolant temps and oil temps WITH a tune.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2012, 08:11 PM   #17
BQTuning
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 Z4 sDrive35i M Sport 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by N54_Fan View Post
BuraQ,... 95 degrees at the drag strip is NOT a meaningful stress to determine adequate cooling issues in my opinion. I have run in 97-100 degrees at the strip with no coolong mods and been fine with 15psi on Procede. Most people experience limp mode and heat/cooling issues with sustained stress for 20-30 min track sessions. That's why we are trying to improve cooling.
I understand what you saying here, and would agree, however compared to the other N54's that I was running with that were in the same boat as you they were having heat soak issues while running meth / E85 /100 oct

South Florida summer weather is nothin to recon with

We were at a private track event where there was "no waiting line" our cars were going back to back for like the same amount off time that you were on the track.

So I wouldnt say it wasnt totally meaningless
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2012, 09:22 PM   #18
N54_Fan
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuraQ View Post
I understand what you saying here, and would agree, however compared to the other N54's that I was running with that were in the same boat as you they were having heat soak issues while running meth / E85 /100 oct

South Florida summer weather is nothin to recon with

We were at a private track event where there was "no waiting line" our cars were going back to back for like the same amount off time that you were on the track.

So I wouldnt say it wasnt totally meaningless
I am in Florida as well... I have been to a drag strip with little waiting and no heat soak issues with no cooling mods. Your point is well made but I still dont think its the same as Miami in mid July running multiple 30 min session at Homestead track with no heat soak issues. THAT is my ultimate goal...If it's even an attainable goal we will see soon enough (July 14th).
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2012, 09:51 PM   #19
benzy89
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [7.50]
Quote:
Well I plan on logging coolant temps since I will have a gauge installed shortly. (I dont want to do the dash hack every time I start the car.) However, I do not have baseline temps but this has been documented quite well in the "limp mode party" sticky in the Tracking section of the forum. I plan to document with my Procede tune and my upgraded ER Oil coolers, 335IS radiator fan, water pump and thermostat. Most of the people not having issues with limp mode at the track have similar mods but they are usually running stock tune instead of Procede/JB or the like. As far as I know there is little to no documentation of track coolant temps and oil temps WITH a tune.
Even w/ the ER dual oil coolers, the lowest oil temp you'll see is 230 F. Nearly ever oil cooling upgrade kit recycles the OEM thermostat which doesn't start the cooling process until 230. IIRC, STETT makes the only kit that sells an optional aftermarket thermostat that opens at 180 F (which IMHO is too low since any water in the oil while not boil out until 210).
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2012, 05:56 AM   #20
N54_Fan
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by benzy89 View Post
Even w/ the ER dual oil coolers, the lowest oil temp you'll see is 230 F. Nearly ever oil cooling upgrade kit recycles the OEM thermostat which doesn't start the cooling process until 230. IIRC, STETT makes the only kit that sells an optional aftermarket thermostat that opens at 180 F (which IMHO is too low since any water in the oil while not boil out until 210).
Understood and I am fine with that. I dont need temps at 180 when the engine is designed to run around 220-230. I just dont want heat soak and limp mode.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2012, 08:11 AM   #21
benzy89
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [7.50]
Quote:
Understood and I am fine with that. I dont need temps at 180 when the engine is designed to run around 220-230. I just dont want heat soak and limp mode.
Exactly -- Even if you beat the hell out of the car on a track, you shouldn't see your oil temps go over 250.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2012, 01:41 PM   #22
N54_Fan
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
There is no new ducting for the fan since it replaces the factory one we have. As for the aux radiator I am not sure. I know the 335IS does not have the fog lights but you could keep it if you wanted should you decide to get the aux radiator and put it in the wheel well. Personally I think the aux radiator is a waste. I could not do that anyway because I have the ER dual OC that go in each wheel well.

I plan to delete my fog lights this weekend and cover the holes and entire mesh grill spots with a new custom car grill. In fact it came in the mail today. I bought this Diamond XXL black polished grill and plan to replace all 3 lower grill meshes this weekend. When I am done I will post pics. It should look pretty much stock look. At least that is the goal.

http://www.customcargrills.com/products.asp?cat=1
Finally did it. I think it looks good. A bit more aggressive. Now my Dual Oil Coolers get nearly 2x the air flow than with the fog lights. I will post a DIY in the DIY and cosmetic section for those interested.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0