E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > My first DIY Queries

07-03-2012, 11:03 PM   #1
creed
Rep
Drives: 530d E60

My first DIY Queries

Hi guys,
Am driving an E60 and recently decided to go for an upgrade of the existing sound system, it is not as straight forward as the E90 as there are more wires to be laid but I got that mostly covered.

Ordered the following items (re-use some items from my past install):
- Technic Full Harness for E60
- JBL MS-8
- Jehnert Flatline package
- 3 units of Morel Oviation 4'' XO

Planning for the first stage would be just the Jehnert speaker + MS-8 + 1 center channel addition and would see how it goes with MS-8 powering all the system.

Some questions about the speaker installation; while I went through the guide provided by the BSW where they strongly advise not to disconnect the airbag while doing the installation, I find that is quite difficult; anyone of you dismantle the door panel complete (together with airbag connector disconnected) while performing the installation?

Would I expect any errors message from the iDrive where I need to get to the dealer to reset the error? Worse still I'm just worry the airbag would be deployed due to all these installation.

Pardon me as I'm newbie in DIY but I believe with all the guides posted and if I follow it through carefully; all things should be in order.

Appreciate the advise :-)
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2012, 11:11 AM   #2
creed
Rep

Jehnert speaker arrived today :-), pending for harness and MS-8 arrival now. Just a thought on the Morel as putting it side by side with the Jehnert; Morel seems like a better built driver in every way.

Would installing the Morel XO Coaxial on the door panel a bad idea? As the tweeter might be too low? If this is a better idea I'd prefer to have better quality driver to be located in front and relocate the Jehnert to the rear.

And I kinda like the idea of having all Morel driver for the front stage (front and center), the only issue is I am not sure whether the stage of music would be much affected.

Any comments?
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2012, 11:47 AM   #3
mob17
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335D

Quote:
Originally Posted by creed View Post
Jehnert speaker arrived today :-), pending for harness and MS-8 arrival now. Just a thought on the Morel as putting it side by side with the Jehnert; Morel seems like a better built driver in every way.
There is no way the MS-8 would be able to feed enough power to the Jehnerts/Morels. You will need an additional amp to reap the benefits of your upgraded equipment.

The Jehnert XE200 woofer is really good. I am assuming you have the Morel Integra Ovations. In my opinion the morel ovation would be better than the Jehnert mids/tweeters. But i have not heard the Jehnert components, they could sound just as good. All i can say is i am amazed by my morels.

Quote:
Would installing the Morel XO Coaxial on the door panel a bad idea? As the tweeter might be too low? If this is a better idea I'd prefer to have better quality driver to be located in front and relocate the Jehnert to the rear.
Not really sure on that one. The MS-8 does improve on stock staging, but someone else may be able to advise if the staging would be significantly affected if you had a the morel coaxial vs the jehnert components. Maybe you could sell your Jehnert mids/tweeters and buy some morel 2 way components, like the dotechs or hybrids. If funds are an issue then just sell 2 of your integra ovations, as your rear speakers are not that important.

Quote:
And I kinda like the idea of having all Morel driver for the front stage (front and center), the only issue is I am not sure whether the stage of music would be much affected.
Its always a good idea to match power/sensitivity for your front stage. It is flexible, you could feed a low sensitive speaker more power if you needed it to match a higher sensitive one (which you would feed less power). There are online calculators you can use to roughly estimate this. As Taibanl says, just be aware that your centre speaker will be the workhorse of your system due to Logic 7. So you choosing a morel integra is good, its a real quality speaker (i have the same centre)
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2012, 12:10 PM   #4
creed
Rep

Yeap; it is a Morel Integra Oviation 4'' XO. At first I thought I want to have the upgrade in stages; but come to think of it; might as well just go for a full install as I am not liking the idea of dismantling the door panel too many times just to swap or test different speaker driver.

I too have some amplifiers and I could definitely re-use them in this setup if needs to. Just tinkering with the ideas how I gotta plan this with what I have now :-)

Selling the items is not easy hence I'll try to see how could it fit in; the deciding factor would the whether the Morel Integra Oviation XO would sounds right if its install at the door panel level.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2012, 12:22 PM   #5
mob17
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335D

You would sell 2 of the morels no problem. Its a great centre speaker. There will probably be a few people that want to upgrade their centre. You should also strongly consider getting morel 2 way components.

You will definately need an amp so maybe list what amp/s you have.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2012, 12:23 PM   #6
Richwm
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 E90 330i 6MT, 01 E46 330i

Garage List
Be sure to disconnect the battery before messing with the airbags.
Mar 05 Build date,2006 E90 330i, Sport Package, Premium Package, TR MT-1's . V-1 Hard-wired power with custom V-1 Concealment Display . Rear fogs, Rear power outlet's, M short shifter knob, BlackLines, BMW Strut tower bar, CDV Delete, Front M3 wishbones + tension struts, BMW Performance shocks and springs, BMW Performance Brake kit F&R, OEM short shift kit. Rear M3 Guide rods and Wishbones.
2006 E-90 330i with 302,000 miles.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2012, 12:40 PM   #7
creed
Rep

mob17,
I've a Zed Audio Leviathan and a Massive Audio NX4 amplifier. :-)

Richwm,
I too read something about disconnect the battery; do we disconnect the entire "-" terminal or just some cable from the "-" terminal? Would disconnect the entire "-" terminal reset all the settings or lost the configured setting like service interval and such?

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2012, 02:13 PM   #8
Richwm
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 E90 330i 6MT, 01 E46 330i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by creed View Post
mob17,
I've a Zed Audio Leviathan and a Massive Audio NX4 amplifier. :-)

Richwm,
I too read something about disconnect the battery; do we disconnect the entire "-" terminal or just some cable from the "-" terminal? Would disconnect the entire "-" terminal reset all the settings or lost the configured setting like service interval and such?

Cheers
You just need to disconnect the ground wire on the battery. You will have to reset your clock and your radio presets but all your service stuff will still be there.
Mar 05 Build date,2006 E90 330i, Sport Package, Premium Package, TR MT-1's . V-1 Hard-wired power with custom V-1 Concealment Display . Rear fogs, Rear power outlet's, M short shifter knob, BlackLines, BMW Strut tower bar, CDV Delete, Front M3 wishbones + tension struts, BMW Performance shocks and springs, BMW Performance Brake kit F&R, OEM short shift kit. Rear M3 Guide rods and Wishbones.
2006 E-90 330i with 302,000 miles.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2012, 03:38 PM   #9
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT

I think the radio presets are stored in the keyfob.

I think the radio presets are stored in the keyfob.

The trip computer data and the clock is what gets reset.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2012, 06:47 PM   #10
rcurley55
Private
Rep
Drives: 2010 535i

For what it's worth, I have the Morel Hybrid Ovations in my doors, Integra Ovation in the center, and a pair of Tempo co-ax in the rear in my E60.

The rears play so little information, I would not spend the kind of money associated with the Integras to put them in the rear. I'd get the 4" matching Morel components for the doors, stick one Integra Ovation in the center, and keep the Jehnert 8" for under the seats (I also have those drivers).

In my car, I power everything with two JL HD amps - the HD600/4 and HD900/5, giving me 150*5 (front + center), 100 x 2 (rear), and 500 x 1 (I also have the JL steathbox in the trunk).

The morel crossovers will fit in the door, but it's a very tight fit. I would also support using outboard amplifiers for all speakers. You could probably get away with the rears off of the MS-8, but I wouldn't do it. Good luck.
Appreciate 0