E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > New E90 Review in the Detroit Free Press

05-19-2005, 07:23 AM   #1
spikes111
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M4

New E90 Review in the Detroit Free Press

Of course this guy has great things to say about the new 3 series.. but bags on iDrive

http://www.freep.com/money/autorevie...e_20050519.htm
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2005, 07:55 AM   #2
voltron1011
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i, FJR-1300

Two errors: He mentions, "brake standby, which prepares the brakes for quick action by moving the rotors a little closer to the disk...." I think he meant to say, "It moves the calipers and pads a little closer to the disk...."
Also, "and a clutchless sequential manual six-speed goes into production this fall." It should be, "A sequential manual with no clutch pedal." Or, "A sequential manual that has automatic clutch actuation."
It's people like this who make technology so difficult to explain to people. Most people don't even know the difference between a torque-converter and a clutch.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2005, 08:28 AM   #3
johnfkitchen
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 323is & 330i

Seems to me that a journalist's lack of understanding of technology tends to go with a dislike of iDrive. I've read the E90 manual, and I just can't wait to get my hands on iDrive and learn the user interface.

I think you can also take a cue from the words "The Ultimate Driving Machine". This says expect technology! It's not the "ultimate dumbed-down lounge chair". Some people want a simple life, and a basic push-button radio, and they can get it. Elsewhere.

This is the 21st century, in which investing the effort in learning what a masterpiece you have bought will repay huge dividends.

But I'm that sort of person that looks for more than just the ability to get from A to B in comfort. 45 years ago, when I bought my first car, I just had to pull it apart to find out how it works. (Not going to do THAT with a 2005 car!)

Maybe there is a market for some form of simple iDrive training program. Maybe I'll just DO that ...
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2005, 10:10 AM   #4
soon2be90
Private
Rep
Drives: 06' 330i Sport

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by voltron1011
Two errors: He mentions, "brake standby, which prepares the brakes for quick action by moving the rotors a little closer to the disk...." I think he meant to say, "It moves the calipers and pads a little closer to the disk...."
Also, "and a clutchless sequential manual six-speed goes into production this fall." It should be, "A sequential manual with no clutch pedal." Or, "A sequential manual that has automatic clutch actuation."
It's people like this who make technology so difficult to explain to people. Most people don't even know the difference between a torque-converter and a clutch.
I see the reviewer has an e-mail address, maybe someone should send him his errors.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2005, 10:13 AM   #5
ogrady
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: AW 09 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by soon2be90
I see the reviewer has an e-mail address, maybe someone should send him his errors.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2005, 10:40 AM   #6
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep
Drives: HS M2 Competition

Quoto in this 330i test:"Finally, iDrive is optional, which is almost like BMW paying you $2,000 not to have to deal with it. You can't get a navigation system in a 3-series without iDrive, but $2,000 will buy a lot of maps, and the occasional wrong turn is a small price to pay to eliminate iDrive's quirks.

I've complained in the past that feature-laden luxury cars have dashboards cluttered with too many buttons and controls. I admire BMW's attempt to tidy things up, but iDrive simply adds too many steps to things that should be simple, like turning the stereo off."

IMHO he is totally right. Having had I Drive for 22000kms now I think it's 75% of the time unlogical and slow.
I was using it to navigate through i.e. Amsterdam, Stuttgart, Basel or Cologne, it wasn't really faultless either.

3500,- euros is a lot of money. And I can find much better navigating systems than I Drive. For sure.

Appreciate 0
      05-19-2005, 10:50 AM   #7
Armen52
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
I refuse to put a computer running Windows in my car. My brand new BMW no less. I have used and fixed Windows computers for a large part of my life and I am very confident that I don't want it anywhere near my car.

Sorry that's just my feeling. The iDrive system is running on the automobile version of Windows CE for those who don't know.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2005, 10:56 AM   #8
Athos
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i 6-spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnfkitchen
Seems to me that a journalist's lack of understanding of technology tends to go with a dislike of iDrive. I've read the E90 manual, and I just can't wait to get my hands on iDrive and learn the user interface.

I think you can also take a cue from the words "The Ultimate Driving Machine". This says expect technology! It's not the "ultimate dumbed-down lounge chair". Some people want a simple life, and a basic push-button radio, and they can get it. Elsewhere.

This is the 21st century, in which investing the effort in learning what a masterpiece you have bought will repay huge dividends.

But I'm that sort of person that looks for more than just the ability to get from A to B in comfort. 45 years ago, when I bought my first car, I just had to pull it apart to find out how it works. (Not going to do THAT with a 2005 car!)

Maybe there is a market for some form of simple iDrive training program. Maybe I'll just DO that ...
I think it's fine if people want to play with iDrive and any other gadgets on their cars. Some people love to learn the ins and outs of their computers and program their VCRs (I might be one of those people, at times). But I don't equate the pleasure of mastering electronic gadgetry with the pleasure of "ultimate driving"--putting a performance car through its paces. Technology like iDrive can be a distraction from the pure driving experience. Nothing wrong with enjoying iDrive but many people don't like it precisely because it makes the car more like the lounge chair in the living room. But what can I say, I'm the kind of guy that turns off my stereo and rolls down my car windows when I pull up next to a Ducati, a Moto Guzzi, or a Ferrari so I can hear the sounds of those engines--music to my ears.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2005, 11:06 AM   #9
mrbelk
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 335i/6MT

Quote:
I refuse to put a computer running Windows in my car. My brand new BMW no less. I have used and fixed Windows computers for a large part of my life and I am very confident that I don't want it anywhere near my car.

Sorry that's just my feeling. The iDrive system is running on the automobile version of Windows CE for those who don't know.
The 7er version of iDrive ran on WindowsCE, but later iterations (read the 5er, 6er, 1er, and 3er versions) are built on a different embedded OS (maybe QNX?) and use a Java based architecture.

Not that I have a problem with WindowsCE; it makes for a very nice programming platform for embedded devices, especially in the PocketPC implementations. Certainly better than PalmOS.

-MrB
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2005, 11:09 AM   #10
mrbelk
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 335i/6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detroit Free Press
I've complained in the past that feature-laden luxury cars have dashboards cluttered with too many buttons and controls. I admire BMW's attempt to tidy things up, but iDrive simply adds too many steps to things that should be simple, like turning the stereo off.
This is classic baseless iDrive bashing. Does the author not f'ing realize that all you have to do is push the volume knob to turn off the radio? Actually, you _can't_ use the iDrive interface to turn off the radio, as far as I know (and I have a 2004 545, with iDrive).

-MrB
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2005, 12:24 PM   #11
Jerel56
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives:

I've had my E90 for almost 48 hrs now and I love the Idrive! Of course, there are hundreds of applications I have yet to discover but, the basics took me 5 minutes to figure out. I really find it very intuitive and easy to use while driving. Overall, I'm loving every aspect of my new E90 and have only encountered a few hiccups with my bluetooth voice commands....but, that could very well have been normal "learning curve" items. I'll have more time to fully explore everything this weekend.

Couldn't be more satisfied!!!!
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2005, 12:31 PM   #12
Armen52
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbelk
The 7er version of iDrive ran on WindowsCE, but later iterations (read the 5er, 6er, 1er, and 3er versions) are built on a different embedded OS (maybe QNX?) and use a Java based architecture.

Not that I have a problem with WindowsCE; it makes for a very nice programming platform for embedded devices, especially in the PocketPC implementations. Certainly better than PalmOS.

-MrB
Thanks for the correction. That makes me feel much better for those who are getting iDrive

While I chose to pass on it this go around, odds are it won't be an option the next time I get a BMW. And I hope by then there have been a couple more iterations and the system has become even friendlier and more useful.
Appreciate 0