E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Anyone else have the aFe catback?

07-18-2012, 11:24 PM   #1
hayyim
Rep
Drives: 335i

Anyone else have the aFe catback?

Hi guys,
I know there is an exhaust sticky thread up there, but this is really a specific poll of aFe catback owners. I recently got their catback and DCI with a cobbAP tune, and although the performance increase is great, the in-cabin volume seems way too loud. I might be getting old, but its loud enough to rattle the door panels. Its hard to believe that this is the behavior aFe intended. I wrote to aFe and was told that they all of their feedback has been positive.

so questions

1) is there a break in period that i need to patient about? I have about 100 miles on the exhaust.

2)Should the in-car volume be that much louder than stock?

3)Are there aspects of the install like mounts or gaskets that could add to the volume if install is done incorrectly?

This isnt a debate about best aftermarket catback, im just curious about the experience of other aFe catback owners.

thanks guys

2007 335i 6MT
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2012, 11:51 PM   #2
Brey335i
Banned
Rep
Drives: e46 ///M3

I've had the magnaflow (which droned really badly) and I heard the aFe in person and I'd say his droned even worse. I had cats still though and he didn't. But I can attest to the fact that the aFe has an uncomfortable level of cabin volume. And it's not of the livable good kind. It's just obnoxious.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2012, 12:00 AM   #3
hayyim
Rep
Drives: 335i

oh man that sucks. so it probably is just the way that exhaust performs.
anyone want to buy a barely used aFe catback! ha! did you ever find a better replacement?
Appreciate 0