E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > DE-mod for HPFP warranty? And does a dealer have to install it?

07-19-2012, 11:50 PM   #1
jokergerm
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 M6 GC

DE-mod for HPFP warranty? And does a dealer have to install it?

Well tell me if im correct. I was coming home today and i rolled in to the throttle a bit and the car started surging and stumbling evenly. The spacing of the studdering was very even if that makes sense. It was not like a stumbling from a random missfire.

The the check engine light came on and it said malfunction reduce power

From what i have read its the pump.

I live like 3 hours from a dealer, will they send me a pump that i can install my self so i can save the drive or are they going to make me tow it there on my flat bed. I really dont want to have to load it up and get on the ferry which is 80 bucks each way with my flatbed and my duramax.

How much are these pumps anyways.
      07-20-2012, 12:25 AM   #2
Masterkush
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 335i

I don't think the dealer is going to send out any parts, tho that would be awesome.

I think they have to inspect your car and their tech needs to verify that the part is indeed malfunctioning and still under warranty to get approved from BMW.
      07-20-2012, 05:35 AM   #3
Todd135i
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 135i

How about you see what the codes are and narrow it down to the pump?
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2012, 08:48 AM   #4
RoundelM3
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 F80 M3, 22 G01 X3 30i

Garage List
2022 BMW X3  [9.83]
2015 BMW M3  [6.50]
If it's the pump, you will have to go to the dealer to get it installed in order to fulfill the warranty requirements. That way if the replacement pump fails or isn't installed properly (this happened to me - and the dealer had installed it), it will be covered again at no cost.

2015 F80 ///M3 Sedan 7DCT Tanzanite, 2022 X3 sDrive30i 8AT Brooklyn Grey
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2012, 08:56 AM   #5
GeorgiaTech335coupe
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Black BMW 335i coupe

The dealership I go to would replace HPFP under warranty even if you are modded. I got mine done FBO+meth. They needed to see HPFP codes to do it though. I would call my SA before and ask just to verify before making the trip.

HPFP costs about ~$280 and probably $200 to get installed from an indy.

If they are willing to send it to you, I'd do that and either install yourself or pay someone. If you have to go there, it's a close call between that and just paying yourself. IMO
Legal Disclaimer: Anything I or anyone else says about my vehicle on this website(e90post.com or any affiliated or nonaffiliated sites), pertaining to modifications, is only to gain acceptance from my/our peers, and does not actually represent anything actually existing on my car, and thus, cannot be held against me in any issues, i.e. warranty claims, that may arise.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2012, 11:42 AM   #6
jokergerm
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 M6 GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaTech335coupe View Post
The dealership I go to would replace HPFP under warranty even if you are modded. I got mine done FBO+meth. They needed to see HPFP codes to do it though. I would call my SA before and ask just to verify before making the trip.

HPFP costs about ~$280 and probably $200 to get installed from an indy.

If they are willing to send it to you, I'd do that and either install yourself or pay someone. If you have to go there, it's a close call between that and just paying yourself. IMO
i know it sucks, i woke up in a good mood thinking about going to town in the BMW, then opened my laptop and FML, My car is broken.

Oh well looks like im driving the prius
      07-20-2012, 02:18 PM   #7
Timmayy
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 335i Blk/Blk xDrive 6MT

There is no way in hell any dealership would send a part to a customer to let them take care of a warranty repair themselves.

In most warranty situations the dealer pays for the replacement parts and gets reimbursed later by the manufacturer. There is no way BMW, or any other automaker, would let a customer replace the part themselves because they cannot verify that the part has been installed correctly, or that you're even replacing the part. You could just turn around and sell the part to someone else. And then they are supposed to warranty it again if it breaks down again? Some people are on their 3rd HPFP.

As far as the actual issue, I've been getting an occasional extended crank at startup & stumble under load. I've had no SES or reduced power lights, but when I read the codes I've got a couple of HPFP related codes. Since it's a rare issue at this point I'm not in a hurry to take it in. My point being you definitely need to check the codes.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2012, 09:55 PM   #8
Yoko22R
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
This just happened to me. I was running a JB4, DCI, and BOV. Was getting misfire codes and also a DME failure code. Removed everything and put motor back to stock. Turned out my DME fried, and had failures on several coils. They ended up replacing DME, upgraded software, changed all coils, and replaced hpfp. I would have probably been denied any warranty or recall work on my car had my mods been on there. Remove your mods!!!
Appreciate 0