E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Clarification Needed Reading Cobb AP Stg. 1 Data Logs

08-12-2012, 12:15 PM   #1
MTR
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 335i

Question Clarification Needed Reading Cobb AP Stg. 1 Data Logs

I recently bought a Cobb AP for my 08 335i AT. I flashed the car yesterday with the Stage 1 Aggressive map (I run 93 octane) with stock throttle and I thought the power delivery was surging a bit, almost as if it was pulling timing and then not. After reading some of the AP threads people suggest to start with the Sport map and data log it to see if everything is running well on the car before going to the aggressive map.

So I loaded the sport map and logged a couple of short 3rd gear pulls but I have some questions interpreting the logs.

1. Accel Ped. Pos. (%) - Mine only hit 99.61%. I was in sport mode and didn't hit the kick down so is that why its not 100%?

2. Is the Cyl# Timing Cor () what to really look for to make sure your car isn't pulling timing? I was pretty much 0 across all 6 cylinders but I did see a couple pulls where cylinder 1 and 2 had negative values up to -2.6. Is this correction in degrees, meaning that cylinder 2 had to pull 2.6 degrees of timing? If so how much if any is too much timing to have pulled?

3. What do the 3 WGDC (waste gate duty cycle?) parameters represent?

4. Lambda (Bank1) (AFR) - What is considered Bank 1? This isn't a wideband right, just a narrow band 02 sensor? I just want to understand the accuracy.

5. Is there an easy way to convert the csv file into a nice viewable graph?

Thanks for the help.
Mike
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2012, 01:07 PM   #2
cloud_connected
Banned
Rep
Drives: ATR tuned N54

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTR View Post
I recently bought a Cobb AP for my 08 335i AT. I flashed the car yesterday with the Stage 1 Aggressive map (I run 93 octane) with stock throttle and I thought the power delivery was surging a bit, almost as if it was pulling timing and then not. After reading some of the AP threads people suggest to start with the Sport map and data log it to see if everything is running well on the car before going to the aggressive map.

So I loaded the sport map and logged a couple of short 3rd gear pulls but I have some questions interpreting the logs.

1. Accel Ped. Pos. (%) - Mine only hit 99.61%. I was in sport mode and didn't hit the kick down so is that why its not 100%?

2. Is the Cyl# Timing Cor () what to really look for to make sure your car isn't pulling timing? I was pretty much 0 across all 6 cylinders but I did see a couple pulls where cylinder 1 and 2 had negative values up to -2.6. Is this correction in degrees, meaning that cylinder 2 had to pull 2.6 degrees of timing? If so how much if any is too much timing to have pulled?

3. What do the 3 WGDC (waste gate duty cycle?) parameters represent?

4. Lambda (Bank1) (AFR) - What is considered Bank 1? This isn't a wideband right, just a narrow band 02 sensor? I just want to understand the accuracy.

5. Is there an easy way to convert the csv file into a nice viewable graph?

Thanks for the help.
Mike
1) 99.x is normal

2) You are correct about the value bearing the number of degrees ignition timing is retarded. Having a couple cylinders making single corrections(a value of 3.xx or less) is no big deal. Especially if the logs were taken soon after flashing the car or changing maps. If you start seeing cylinders constantly pulling 6 degrees or more at a time during pulls you need to figure out what is going.

3) The WGDC channels are used mainly for tuning and looking for beast leaks(but more than likely you'll get a 30FF in that case.) IMO the one to keep an eye on is the WDCD 1&2 channels. If they're constantly maxxing out at 57% then you may have an issue.

4) The N54 uses dual WIDEBAND O2 sensors. They are accurate IF working properly, they have a bit of a habit of going bad but they seem to be really good about letting you know when they go.

5) http://www.bradbarnhill.com/projects/VirtualDyno/ I like using the log viewing feature of Virtual Dyno. Also, you can search the forum for Sasquatch csv graphing and find a GREAT excel program.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2012, 01:33 PM   #3
MTR
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloud_connected View Post
1) 99.x is normal

2) You are correct about the value bearing the number of degrees ignition timing is retarded. Having a couple cylinders making single corrections(a value of 3.xx or less) is no big deal. Especially if the logs were taken soon after flashing the car or changing maps. If you start seeing cylinders constantly pulling 6 degrees or more at a time during pulls you need to figure out what is going.

3) The WGDC channels are used mainly for tuning and looking for beast leaks(but more than likely you'll get a 30FF in that case.) IMO the one to keep an eye on is the WDCD 1&2 channels. If they're constantly maxxing out at 57% then you may have an issue.

4) The N54 uses dual WIDEBAND O2 sensors. They are accurate IF working properly, they have a bit of a habit of going bad but they seem to be really good about letting you know when they go.

5) http://www.bradbarnhill.com/projects/VirtualDyno/ I like using the log viewing feature of Virtual Dyno. Also, you can search the forum for Sasquatch csv graphing and find a GREAT excel program.
Thanks Cloud that helps a lot.

So I had trouble finding the boost targets for the Stage 1 Sport and Aggressive maps. Anyone have those?

Also what type of A/Fs does this car like under boost? My car was in the 12s from ~3500-4500 and then held high 11s past that. Does that sound ok?

Thanks again.
Mike
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2012, 01:44 PM   #4
benzy89
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E90 335i

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [7.50]
Post your logs in the official COBB thread (http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=472813) -- You'll get much more informed responses in less time
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2012, 02:09 PM   #5
MTR
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by benzy89 View Post
Post your logs in the official COBB thread (http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=472813) -- You'll get much more informed responses in less time
Will do thanks!
Appreciate 0