E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Another CX Racing custom intercooler deal

08-16-2012, 01:00 AM   #1
Spun Crankhub
Major General
Rep
Drives: 15 F82 *SOLD*

Another CX Racing custom intercooler deal

Sorry that I did not get pics during install, but this was a frustrating install. List of parts I used:
Cx Racing Intercooler
2x Cx Racing 90 degree x 3" piping
2.5" 45 degree silicone elbow x2
6" x 2.5" straight pipe
2.5" to 3" silicone straight connector
3" silicone connector (connecting driver side intercooler piping to my 3" ETS charge pipe. This will be 2.5" if you have stock charge pipe.)
2x 3.5" 3/8" bolts
2x 3/8 nuts
2x washers
T-bolt clamps for every connection

There is a ton of cutting to do on the front shroud. I used a dremel cutting wheel and a drill bit that I just kindve trudged along with sideways, and it basically melted the plastic shroud in a nice straight line.
I drilled into my bumper support top and bottom (do yourself a favor and make sure to use step drill bits, slow on and off pushes of the trigger, and steady downward pressure).
After mounting intercooler to the bumper support I attached the passenger side piping, which was easy.
The driver side, which was a tough fit. I took one of the cx racing pipes and cut a few inches off and had it welded to the other pipe (kindve an s shape to be connected to the charge pipe).

Impressions...I did this job along with changing all 6 coil packs, which kept going out on me, so I finally gave in and bought 6 new ones. Car is noticeably torque-ier and power increase is also evidenced by a little more wheel spin on hard 1st or 2nd gear pulls. I am very happy with this $300 dollar job, as opposed to $800 from any of the sponsors.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-16-2012, 02:39 AM   #2
Dr. G
Major General
Rep
Drives: Black e92 335i

Garage List
e92 BMW 335i  [8.84]
These intercoolers definitely stand out in your front grill haha!

My I/C is very similar except it has a stepped core that extends out a lot deeper.

I used a 90 degree on the drivers side and it was literally a breeze to install, felt just like installing any other intercooler once you got the trimming done. I got lucky with my guesstimate cuts on the elbows and everything lined up perfectly and everything was the right length without having to measure or anything haha. I used a cutting disc and a little mini saw to do the trimming and it was done in a matter of minutes. The only annoying part was when I used a drill instead of a dremel it was too slow and generated a lot of heat and it was melting the plastic which landed all over my arms and hands and left a crapload of burn marks haha.

All in all, my I/C is outperforming any other i/c I've had on this car by a pretty good margin so I am damn happy! And so is my bank account.
JB4 / OSS Angel Eyes / Downpipes / F1-Racewerks FMIC / Custom Meth Kit / BMS DCI / ER Chargepipe / HKS BOV / BMS Meth Elbow / BMW Performance Exhaust / Carbon Fiber Inlay Quad Tips / 19" Miro 111 / Front Aero Lip / M3 Sides / VRS CSL Trunk / Mtech Rear / DD CF Quad Finned Diffuser / LCI Tails / BBK / Smoked Reflectors / F1 Euphoria LED Interior / License LED's / GT 5000k Corners / 5000k HID Fogs / Air Scoops / LED Turn Signals / FK Silverline Coilovers / HPA endlinks / Vibrant Resonators / Osram CBI 5000k D1S
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2012, 03:30 AM   #3
Spun Crankhub
Major General
Rep
Drives: 15 F82 *SOLD*

That hot plastic is no joke, one hit right under my eye, luckily i WAS wearing safety glasses.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2012, 11:38 AM   #4
LAE92
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92

I have the exact some intercooler and I love it. Especially now that summer is pumping the temps up to 95 degrees on average here in Socal, the improvement is more evident over stock than ever. With such a large core I was worried about a drop in charged air pressure, but there seems to be no significant difference in pressure from the stock IC, just make sure ALL your clamps and pipes are snug and tight. I have had no issues with the stock chargepipe, or DVs yet.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2012, 11:41 AM   #5
J Boy
Private
Rep
Drives: B6 A4

This I/C has been used on many platforms and while it is a good upgrade from stock.. still uses a low density core

Appreciate 0
      08-16-2012, 09:32 PM   #6
The Ghost
Reborn
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Boy View Post
This I/C has been used on many platforms and while it is a good upgrade from stock.. still uses a low density core
Which is great for flow. I made great gains on the dyno using it.
Appreciate 0