E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > From stock to FBO

08-16-2012, 02:39 AM   #1
AndyR83
Major
Rep
Drives: E92 335i FBO

From stock to FBO

Greetings,

After hours of searching and reading threads, I am still a bit confused. I've finally got the time and funds to give my car the proper FBO treatment, after months of yearning. I am going to be purchasing a dci, fmic, catless dps, and either jb4 or cobb within the next week. Ive done tons of homework, but i remain a bit perplexed by the wide range of dyno results I'm seeing all over this site. Some people with these mods are posting 390hp pulls, others 350 or less. I initially assumed this had to do with tuning and maps that people decided to use. Im still on the fence about jb4 vs cobb (and not really looking to turn this into a war between the two groups) but was hoping to clarify which tune i could run with the aforementioned mods. Im assuming i would run stage 2+ if i went cobb and stage 2 or 5 if i went jb4, right? Just trying to figure out what to search for as i continue to look for dyno results with similar builds. My finger is on the trigger, just looking for some pretty numbers to make me feel more confident before i pull it. Any advice would be appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2012, 02:54 AM   #2
boostaholic786
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 N54 with MHD Custom flash

I personally think the JB4 because you get so many CAN features like gauge sweep ect. It also can be adjusted to your needs very easily which in your case, being FBO, you would probably run map 5 (autotuning map) which Terry has made vast changes to firmware related to map 5 in the last few months. If your planning on blending E85 and 93 (I personally run a 30% mix) and on map 5 the car adjusts itself after a few wide open pulls. The JB4 is also very user friendly when it comes to connecting it to a laptop and reading codes, changing fuel settings, lagfix, wastegate rattle fix and so on. Every car is different and the Cobb is an excellent product, but if your going to be doing the Cobb your probably going to be running OTSM (off the shelf maps) and your car might not run like someones car that has similar mods. Terry supports the Cobb tune if your going to be running larger turbos because the Cobb ATR flash gives you the ability to adjust the actual DME itself. I just ordered the Cobb and going to stack my JB4 on top so proper tuning abilities are there. Just get both
[SIZE="2"]Crimson Red E92 335i M-sport 6-speed with MHD custom stage 2+ flash only , 40% E85/93 mix,+ HRE P40S wheels, KW Clubsport, M3 sways,+BMW performance CF Mirrors, BMW Performance CF deck lid spoiler,+ CF interior trim, p3 vent boost gauge,+ LUX angel eyes (11.73@124mph on street tires)
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2012, 03:29 AM   #3
SIKH335
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Coupe

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [1.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyR83 View Post
Greetings,

After hours of searching and reading threads, I am still a bit confused. I've finally got the time and funds to give my car the proper FBO treatment, after months of yearning. I am going to be purchasing a dci, fmic, catless dps, and either jb4 or cobb within the next week. Ive done tons of homework, but i remain a bit perplexed by the wide range of dyno results I'm seeing all over this site. Some people with these mods are posting 390hp pulls, others 350 or less. I initially assumed this had to do with tuning and maps that people decided to use. Im still on the fence about jb4 vs cobb (and not really looking to turn this into a war between the two groups) but was hoping to clarify which tune i could run with the aforementioned mods. Im assuming i would run stage 2+ if i went cobb and stage 2 or 5 if i went jb4, right? Just trying to figure out what to search for as i continue to look for dyno results with similar builds. My finger is on the trigger, just looking for some pretty numbers to make me feel more confident before i pull it. Any advice would be appreciated.
You have to decide if you want to run Meth or not. If you do then I would start with Tune, DCI, DPs, Meth. Since Meth will keep your IAT's low and you don't need a FMIC on stockers

If not then go with Tune, DCI, DPs and FMIC.

As for tune if you will eventually stack flashes with a piggy the cost effective route would be Procede and Procede flash($100). If not stacking it's a matter of preference really the Procede and JB have great features like Meth control(Procede PWM JB-pps) gauge hijack and on the fly mapping as well as what was mentioned above. The Cobb is a little easier to install the first time around (after a few installs Procede and JB become second nature also) but does not have the features or Meth control. Either way don't be afraid to purchase a tune and try it out, if you don't like it I think they all have a 30 trial period.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2012, 05:16 AM   #4
dblrguy
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 335i & 06 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIKH335 View Post
If you do then I would start with Tune, DCI, DPs, Meth. Since Meth will keep your IAT's low and you don't need a FMIC on stockers.
I don't consider this to be universally agreed upon advice. Meth will lower IATs but having tried to go this route I can tell that my car still wants the FMIC. 80 DEG F on my way to work and 104 on my way home. I can feel that the car runs better/stronger in the lower temps. I'm sure I could prove this with to - from logs but logging to work is a bad idea for me. Also take a look around at the camparo pics of the stock FMIC vs any of the aftermarket. Pushing double the stock boost, I like the idea of replacing/removing as much plastic as possible from the charge system. I ordered the 5" ets last week.

Quote:
Either way don't be afraid to purchase a tune and try it out, if you don't like it I think they all have a 30 trial period.
I agree with this advice!

May also take a look at the afe dynamic air scoops. Have not researched them but I think it would be hard to argue against having them. Mine just came in the mail yesterday with a set of new plugs and a couple extra coils. Also suggested items to have ready as you start to tune these cars.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2012, 06:51 AM   #5
sickem
Freude am fahren
Rep
Drives: E90 N54

Garage List
Dyno results are one component, but don't fixate on them. There are many variables that change from run to run or dyno to dyno and it's hard to simulate real driving conditions. Dynos are only meaningful on the same car with a baseline stock run. All the tunes mentioned have their strengths and weaknesses and all will give you great power gains. I would focus, as others have said, on the features each offers and an assessment of what your eventual goals are with the car, keeping in mind they can and likely will change...I never thought a year into owning my car I'd soon be FBO. So try them all out and see...you can't lose! This thread will soon degrade into a tune war, so be prepared...
      08-16-2012, 08:43 AM   #6
rudypoochris
Private
Rep
Drives: 08 E92/72 Datsun 240z

Below 430whp I would get a JB4 G5 above 430whp stack a Cobb and a JB4. You want the autotuning for sure, especially if you are running E85 mixes.

With 91 only expect 400whp+ easy with JB4 and those mods with E85 add another 50hp or so. You could probably only use about 35-40% E85 at that point bc you would be at the limit of the trims without a COBB. Farther you would need a COBB as well.

Get an intercooler with stock turbos and E85 or you will be slowly cooking them.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2012, 08:55 AM   #7
LQQKOUT
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335XI

I had the JB4 then went to COBB and now I just installed the JB4 G5 and from my experience I would go with COBB and stick with it. To many issued with the JB. At this time I can't even go WOT because it cutsout at redline in 3rd. Terry provides great customer service and I will work with him to get this issue fixed, but I need to come up with the time to get some datalogs. COBB provided a great tune but leaves some power on the table. If you get it protunned you might be ok, but I refuse to pay more money on to of the $900 tuner.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2012, 09:07 AM   #8
SalemChiro
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i vert

=sickem;12512974]Dyno results are one component, but don't fixate on them. There are many variables that change from run to run or dyno to dyno and it's hard to simulate real driving conditions. Dynos are only meaningful on the same car with a baseline stock run. All the tunes mentioned have their strengths and weaknesses and all will give you great power gains. I would focus, as others have said, on the features each offers and an assessment of what your eventual goals are with the car, keeping in mind they can and likely will change...I never thought a year into owning my car I'd soon be FBO. So try them all out and see...you can't lose! This thread will soon degrade into a tune war, so be prepared...[/QUOTE]

^ +1
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2012, 09:17 AM   #9
benzy89
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E90 335i

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [7.50]
OP -- Like some mentioned above, you need to decide if you want to run Meth since the JB4 will be able to manage that much better than the COBB tune. I personally decided to go with the COBB tune because I felt more comfortable with doing a flash-based tune that went much more in depth (changing the OEM fueling tables, timing, AFR targets, boost targets, etc etc.).

There is one "Achilles heel" if you decide to go with the COBB. The OTS Maps are set up very conservative so if you want to really see the tune shine, you're going to need to get custom maps made. The JB4/PROcede piggy's both have the benefits of Auto-Tuning so they'll be able to adapt to the mods installed on the car & if you decide to run E85 blends, while the COBB tune you'll need to get the car ProTuned to unlock the car's power & integrate E85. This sadly means another expense, but I can promise you that you won't be disappointed with how much power still exist beyond the OTS Maps.

If you're interested in the COBB, I'd recommend contacting not only COBB directly & asking questions, but also contacting the guys at ProTuning Freaks (specifically Jake, he's on this forum) and talking with him. Obviously if you have questions about the JB4, Terry's your go to go (not on this forum).

GL with your choice -- Regardless of which tune you decide, you won't be disappointed with the power of a modded N54
Appreciate 0