E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > E91 335i Exhaust, HELP!

08-17-2012, 11:14 AM   #1
Tak1986
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW

E91 335i Exhaust, HELP!

Hi Guys,

I have purachased a system off here
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-335i-E...ht_2257wt_1163

I have asked that it will fit any 335, no matter coupe, saloon or estate.

This morning, dropped off the car at my local F1 garages (as its close to my work place), the guy said the system dont fit, and require cutting, then connect the pipe and new backbox. I was a bit annoyed, as seller and the garage saying different things!

I just wonder is it the case will need to cut somewhere after the Y pipe, and connect the new system on? are they right saying that the 335i has an exhaust pipe which a one piece system?

Cheers
Sam

Last edited by Tak1986; 08-18-2012 at 06:04 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2012, 02:49 PM   #2
AlwynMike
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F36 440i GC.

I haven't looked under mine, but it may be that from new, the exhaust is one piece - the exhaust is fitted, then the suspension fitted after, so it may not be possible to remove the exhaust in one piece. This is certainly the case with other manufacturers.
I know for certain that the coupe and Touring exhausts are different. The "muffler tip" (to use an Americanism) is longer on the Coupe to the Touring - by an inch or two.
I have a pair of aftermarket rear boxes that I was going to fit to mine after the warranty expired. These boxes came from a 335i Coupe. According to the maker, the boxes are the same fitment petrol/diesel, but the tips are shorter for the Touring.

Mike
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2012, 05:41 PM   #3
AlanYoro35i
Senior Troll
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Coming soon-718 Cayman S

yes, you need to cut the original to fit new one on.

Now: 718 Cayman GTS / F83 M4
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2012, 05:58 PM   #4
Tak1986
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlwynMike View Post
I haven't looked under mine, but it may be that from new, the exhaust is one piece - the exhaust is fitted, then the suspension fitted after, so it may not be possible to remove the exhaust in one piece. This is certainly the case with other manufacturers.
I know for certain that the coupe and Touring exhausts are different. The "muffler tip" (to use an Americanism) is longer on the Coupe to the Touring - by an inch or two.
I have a pair of aftermarket rear boxes that I was going to fit to mine after the warranty expired. These boxes came from a 335i Coupe. According to the maker, the boxes are the same fitment petrol/diesel, but the tips are shorter for the Touring.

Mike
Thanks Mike

I think I have read it somewhere, the coupe is actually longer than saloon / touring. the 'tip' on the system is adjustable as its awaiting to clamp on the backbox. I was wondering if the pipes between the 2nd cat to the backbox are the same for coupe and touring.

Sam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoro35i View Post
yes, you need to cut the original to fit new one on.
Cheers, I was thinking if it would be difficult to put back to stock system after putting the after market system on ?

I think i will have a look around any decent garages can get it cut and fit. Seller (motech performance) refer me to a place near northampton that has dealt with the installations before.

Sam
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2012, 10:12 PM   #5
AlanYoro35i
Senior Troll
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Coming soon-718 Cayman S

It shoudl be fairly easy for them to connect it back on by hose clamps or a little welding work..even powerflow can do it

Now: 718 Cayman GTS / F83 M4
Appreciate 0