E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Just installed new spark plugs... didn't expect to see oil w/pics!

08-20-2012, 09:01 PM   #1
gatoracer
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 335i MT

Just installed new spark plugs... didn't expect to see oil w/pics!

So I just changed my plugs. Used Bosch OEM plugs. Car has ~89k miles on it. I have experienced an occasional misfire here and there since owning the car. I have only had it for 4 mos now. Don't know if 1 of prior owners had it done. Figured it wouldn't hurt anyway. So I get the engine cover off and notice some oil on top of the motor. Looks like "fresh" oil. Color is pretty amber. I am assuming that oil is spillage from prior oil changes. I didn't think much of it until I starting pulling coils. Noticed oil pooled in cylinders 2 and 3. Cylinders 1,4,5,6 were all dry. The oil is not really dark as if it had been run through motor. The pics from above the motor show mostly cylinders 2 and 3. Front of car is to right so 1 is on far right and 4 is on left. You can see it pooled pretty good next to one plug. The close-up pics of the plugs are cylinders 1-6 from left to right.

So plugs are changed, haven't noticed any misfires as of yet. I am sure the oil has burned off in combustion chamber by now. Car seems to idle a little better. I'm pretty sure throttle response has improved slightly. Car is pretty much stock.

Should I be really concerned about the oil? And second how do the plugs look, aside from the oil on 2 and 3? Plug 4 looks a little dark. Does it "look" to be too lean or rich?

Thx.
Attached Images

08-20-2012, 09:25 PM   #2
Ilma
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

I put my money on leaking valve cover gasket.......pretty common on this platform.

The oil seeps out the valve cover just above the plugs and then pools into the spark plug socket.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2012, 09:29 PM   #3
themyst
Major General
South Korea
Rep
Drives: '16 MK7 GTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilma View Post
I put my money on leaking valve cover gasket.......pretty common on this platform.

The oil seeps out the valve cover just above the plugs and then pools into the spark plug socket.
+1
      08-20-2012, 10:01 PM   #4
gatoracer
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilma View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by themyst View Post
+1
Thanks I'll do some research and see what the damage may be.
      08-20-2012, 11:32 PM   #5
vincentvega222
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

I had this problem, pretty sure it was bad gasket. But I only had oil in the plugs right below the oil cap. I remember spilling oil when I was pouring a quart in and it turns out that was the reason why. Im just more careful now when pouring oil and have been okay.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2012, 07:07 AM   #6
gatoracer
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincentvega222 View Post
I had this problem, pretty sure it was bad gasket. But I only had oil in the plugs right below the oil cap. I remember spilling oil when I was pouring a quart in and it turns out that was the reason why. Im just more careful now when pouring oil and have been okay.
The oil was only on the plugs below the oil fill cap. You can see the cap at the top of pics 1 and 5. The oil was not coming up through the plugs. Granted oil still may be coming in from the gasket. Going to keep an eye on it for sure. I changed my oil about 3 mos ago, about and lost about 1/4 quart. Wouldn't surprise me if it is the gasket though. Will likely have the oil filter housing and valve cover gaskets replaced in the next 4-6 mos.