E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Bicycle hard case in trunk of e90?

07-21-2007, 01:31 PM   #1
jcolley
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328

Bicycle hard case in trunk of e90?

Greetings all,

This would be my first post here, but then I've yet to see my new car we've had for four months.

To be less cryptic, I'm stationed overseas and my wife bought me an 07 Artic Metallic 328i a few months ago. I'm travelling home on leave in a few days and planning to take my road bike with me. Everything is going to plan, until I realize that she will be picking me up from the airport with my two young daughters in my new car (no other option).

What are the odds that an old hard case from Perfomance Bike will fit in the trunk for the ride home? The dimensions are 57"x30"x12". I have a feeling I know the answer, but I really want to get my bike home as I have a new frame waiting there for me to swap the groupset to.

Jim
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2007, 01:33 PM   #2
NAandTT
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: e90 330i, E90 335i

maybe of you take the front wheel off, it would fit. And if you have folding seats, you can fold at least on section of the seats, and have your two daughters seat next to each other closely.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2007, 06:55 PM   #3
erossen
Blue Mystic Magnificence
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i, Mystic Blue

I have a 2005 325i with the rear fold-down seats (specifically needed for transporting my bikes). Only with the front wheel off will my road bike fit in the car but it extends from nearly the back of the front seats to the end of the trunk. I highly doubt that a hard case will fit in the trunk with the seats up and it probably won't even fit with the rear seats down. I think you need an X3 or X5!
      07-21-2007, 07:20 PM   #4
E91AWD
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 2007 328xiT

Not possible. If you have no way to leave the kids behind, you'll have to buy a roof rack and strap the hard case to it. If iy was only your bike, since you are getting a new frame just saw the old frame in half and throw it in the trunk. But take my word for it, you'll end up replacing the groupo. It's only a matter of time. And remember it's always cheaper to buy a complete bike.

Appreciate 0
      07-22-2007, 05:19 AM   #5
jcolley
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Thanks for the replies all...

This will be a one time deal, I will be buying a roof rack for my car when I return to the states for good in December.

Funny you should mention the X3, I have an 07 X3 here in Italy that I purchased for my wife. The family was supposed to come over here with me when we placed the order, but then a change of plans when they announced we are closing the base here at the end of the year and no more families would be moving to La Maddalena. So, I drive my wife's X3 around which she's never seen and she drives my 328 around which I've never seen.

I'm thinking that I will just let the hard case stick out of the back of the trunk for the ride home. Both of my girls are under 3 yrs, so car seats are a must. I wouldn't dream of cutting my frame, it's a 2006 Bianchi S9 Matta Titanium with Campy Centaur Gruppo. Aside from not owning a hack-saw bad-ass enough, I think I would cry... I picked up a new 07 Bianchi 928 SL frame which will receive my Centaur gruppo until I find a good deal on a Record set later. The prices I have gotten on Italian cycling stuff here are very hard to beat and I don't think I could have found a better deal on what I have so far, even with the labor of building.

So I can just use some duct tape to hold the trunk down on the hard case right?
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2007, 01:24 PM   #6
E91AWD
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 2007 328xiT

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcolley View Post

my frame, it's a 2006 Bianchi S9 Matta Titanium with Campy Centaur Gruppo. Aside from not owning a hack-saw bad-ass enough, I think I would cry... I picked up a new 07 Bianchi 928 SL frame which will receive my Centaur gruppo until I find a good deal on a Record set later. .

:
Sweet. And your right you'd get nowhere with a hacksaw on a titanium frame. Did you consider going with Chorus now? On my last bike I rode Record, and when I bought a Litespeed some years back I went with Chorus. Chorus today is SO much better than my old Record gruppo.

As for the letting the case hang out the back, I don't know the dimensions of the E90 trunk. I could see if my Iron Case hard shell bike case fits in the back of my E91, but I think you'd be better off if someone with an E90 measured the space between the wheel wells. If it's not wide enough to go staight in there is always a chance you can get it in. Maybe someone out there has a hard case and can see if it fits in their trunk.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2007, 02:13 PM   #7
jcolley
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I called my wife back home and she measured the distance at about 50" b/n the wheel wells. Looks like a no go for trunk closure, but oh well. It's only about a 15 mile drive home. I wouldn't drive irresponsibly until after the girls were back home anyway.

I had briefly looked at the Chorus group and even Shimano, but it just seemed plain wrong not to put Campagnolo on a Bianchi. The biggest reason I'm looking for the Record set is they offer an 11-25 cassette and even with a compact crank, I need the ratio as I routinely ride 15-18% grade climbs on Sardinia. I need the 25 for the climbs, but I'm spinning out on the descents. I can't hold a candle to the Giro guys, but it's fun to at least ride their routes.

Thanks again!
Appreciate 0