F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > 3 and 4 Series Ordering / Pricing / Order Tracking Forum (and European Delivery) > European Delivery experts please help
GetBMWParts

09-05-2012, 09:22 AM   #1
brandon @ eas
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

European Delivery experts please help

Hi guys, I ordered a 328 M-Sport that I will be taking delivery of at BMW Welt in October. I am not trying to make a vacation out of the trip, just an overnight stay to make the most of the savings you get from doing European Delivery.

My question is if I drop the car off at one of the drop off locations in Munich, will I be charged? I know BMW Welt charges 60 Euros if I just leave the car with them on the spot, and was wondering if the other drop off locations do the same?

Any other tips you can give for someone just trying to make a quick in and out?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2012, 09:37 AM   #2
chrisny
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i

I always thought any savings on the car for ED were offset by the travel costs to go over there, essentially getting a free and awesome vacation, but spending just as much as a normal US delivery. Is that not the case? How much do you actually save by flying 8 hours or so for one night? Obviously far less expenses compared to a week or two enjoying your car over there, but do you save much over US delivery with the cost of flying these days?
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2012, 10:03 AM   #3
brandon @ eas
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisny View Post
I always thought any savings on the car for ED were offset by the travel costs to go over there, essentially getting a free and awesome vacation, but spending just as much as a normal US delivery. Is that not the case? How much do you actually save by flying 8 hours or so for one night? Obviously far less expenses compared to a week or two enjoying your car over there, but do you save much over US delivery with the cost of flying these days?
I was able to get a really good deal on the flight, so I am trying to maximize what I am saving to take advantage of the deal.

I have a base model F30 328 already, that I am selling in a week. The new car will have M-sport, leather, and be about $5,000 more expensive than my previous base model F30, however the monthly cost will be only $15 more due to the European Delivery savings. When I factor in the cost of the flight, I will end up paying about $1,000 more up front for the new car, than I did for my last F30
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2012, 10:03 AM   #4
Roki_014
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 i5 M60

no you will not get charged i dropped off my car at the airport its about 35 km from the Welt, but you might need winter tires to be able to drive because of the law
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2012, 10:05 AM   #5
DrivenByE30
Brigadier General
France
Rep
Drives: '12 F30 Lux 335i 6MT

you have to go to the airport anyways... so the Munich Drop-off is on your way home....

you just get a nice "rental" car to drive back to the airport...
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2012, 11:32 AM   #6
AWF30MSPORT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 Porsche 981 Cayman GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandon @ eas View Post
Hi guys, I ordered a 328 M-Sport that I will be taking delivery of at BMW Welt in October. I am not trying to make a vacation out of the trip, just an overnight stay to make the most of the savings you get from doing European Delivery.

My question is if I drop the car off at one of the drop off locations in Munich, will I be charged? I know BMW Welt charges 60 Euros if I just leave the car with them on the spot, and was wondering if the other drop off locations do the same?

Any other tips you can give for someone just trying to make a quick in and out?

Thanks!
LOGINOUT (3rd party company that handles the dropoff at Munich airport) only charges if you want to schedule an after hours or holiday dropoff. I paid 50 euro in order to drop off later in the evening after closing. As said above, since you need to get to the airport anyway, you might as well drop at LOGINOUT instead paying 60 euro to leave it at the Welt.

I did a quick turnaround ED, and I have to say, I really regret that I didn't spend at least one more day driving the car there. ED thread: http://www.f30post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=733974
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2012, 11:42 AM   #7
AWF30MSPORT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
ED invoice is about $3K cheaper than US invoice for a 335i, so assuming you can get the same deal of invoice + $xxx, you are saving about $3K, but considering not many dealers are quite as flexible on negotiating price for a custom order US delivery 335i, you may not be able to get such a good deal. For example, my local dealer refused to give me anything better than US MSRP less the Team USA discount to order my car for US delivery--they have enough people paying close to MSRP that he let me walk away. If you fly solo, use skymiles and hotel points, a 1 day ED trip can save some real money--that being said, I regret only driving the car for one day on my ED trip.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2012, 12:29 PM   #8
rmm0031
Enlisted Member
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i M-Sport

Garage List
2013 BMW 335  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roki_014 View Post
no you will not get charged i dropped off my car at the airport its about 35 km from the Welt, but you might need winter tires to be able to drive because of the law
Snow or All-Season M+S tires are only required when conditions warrant their use (snow or ice on the roadways). Munich in October should be fine. Now, if you were planning on the Alps and some of the passes, that might be risky.
      09-05-2012, 09:24 PM   #9
ScheerSpeed
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 F30 Estoril M-Sport 335i

Drive to Nurburgring, its worth it!
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2012, 12:30 AM   #10
chrisny
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukeb817
ED invoice is about $3K cheaper than US invoice for a 335i, so assuming you can get the same deal of invoice + $xxx, you are saving about $3K, but considering not many dealers are quite as flexible on negotiating price for a custom order US delivery 335i, you may not be able to get such a good deal. For example, my local dealer refused to give me anything better than US MSRP less the Team USA discount to order my car for US delivery--they have enough people paying close to MSRP that he let me walk away. If you fly solo, use skymiles and hotel points, a 1 day ED trip can save some real money--that being said, I regret only driving the car for one day on my ED trip.
Makes sense. So who do you negotiate with for ED? Not the same dealer that wouldn't budge off MSRP or that same dealer is more flexible if it's ED?

Personally, not worth the long flight to me though, to turn around in a day or 2. I'd rather put that 3k into the trip and get a "free" vacation out of it. Time is money too, to me anyway.

I also put a dollar value to those airline miles. free yes, but using them ultimately means paying for some other flight instead (unless you fly enough to earn more than you can reallt use).
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2012, 09:47 PM   #11
AWF30MSPORT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Makes sense. So who do you negotiate with for ED? Not the same dealer that wouldn't budge off MSRP or that same dealer is more flexible if it's ED?

Personally, not worth the long flight to me though, to turn around in a day or 2. I'd rather put that 3k into the trip and get a "free" vacation out of it. Time is money too, to me anyway.

I also put a dollar value to those airline miles. free yes, but using them ultimately means paying for some other flight instead (unless you fly enough to earn more than you can reallt use).
I quickly discovered that there are endless options out there besides the local dealer. I did my whole deal by email with a dealer in Atlanta, not even a single phone call. Many people then do Perfomance Center Delivery to get the car when it arrives in the US, or pick up the car at the dealer if they aren't too far away, or just have them ship it for $300-500. I originally planned to spend a few more days on my ED, but shortened it last minute to get back for work. I travel frequently for work on the company's dime so those skymiles and hotel points pile up faster than I can use them.

Euro delivery CAN be a money saver, but the true value is in the experience; if I do another in the future, I will make a longer trip out of it.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2012, 12:08 AM   #12
johnofcross
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Superman 2013 F30 335i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScheerSpeed View Post
Oh yes. Going around the Carousel for real raised my hair on end. And also seeing super cars fly by you in a track. Such a dream come true!
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2012, 12:32 AM   #13
DrivenByE30
Brigadier General
France
Rep
Drives: '12 F30 Lux 335i 6MT

Cool

Quote:
he's picking up and dropping the car rite away....

he's going cheap and wont have time to drive to the Nurb to drive on the Ring...

three runs there wasn't enough for me... i was supposed to run a forth round, but the track closed before i could...

the highlight of my ED of course...
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2012, 01:03 PM   #14
ScheerSpeed
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 F30 Estoril M-Sport 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrivenByE30 View Post

he's going cheap and wont have time to drive to the Nurb to drive on the Ring...

three runs there wasn't enough for me... i was supposed to run a forth round, but the track closed before i could...

Pick up car, drive overnight to nurburgring, drive nurburgring, leave car in frankfurt after, fly home of course, that's wishful thinking!
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2012, 01:44 AM   #15
JustinTJ
I saw the light!
United_States
Rep
Drives: MY13 F30, MY02 E36/7

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnofcross View Post
Oh yes. Going around the Carousel for real raised my hair on end. And also seeing super cars fly by you in a track. Such a dream come true!
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrivenByE30 View Post

Quote:
Pick up car, drive overnight to nurburgring, drive nurburgring, leave car in frankfurt after, fly home of course, that's wishful thinking!
Today is Day 12 with the car for my ED, and I wanted to be comfortable driving the car and have some miles on it before I hit the Nordschleife.

Heading there from Wurzburg for the weekend. Planning on 2 laps today, 2 tomorrow.
Appreciate 0