E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > 330i BMW Performance Exhaust install issues

09-21-2012, 08:02 AM   #1
jester77
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i E90 2011

330i BMW Performance Exhaust install issues

Hi all - I recently purchased the above (new but from a private seller on ebay) for my 2005 330i SE Touring. It is just the back box with a clamp i.e. no mid-pipe included. Took it to Kwik Fit to be installed (I know, I know, the shame - but it's next to my office and I thought it was straightforward).

They told me that they couldn't fit it and showed me why. Basically, there did not seem to be a length of straight enough pipe on the mid-section of exhaust to clamp onto successfully - it is just a series of bends from the back box backwards for about 2 feet. So they weren't sure where to cut and clamp. Fair enough I said, glad that they hadn't just tried to bodge it to take my money.

So I came away and have done a few searches and the only conclusion I can draw is that as my car is an early one, a new mid-pipe is also required as well as the back box. A quick call to my local BMW parts place seemed to confirm that (although they were a bit vague).

Perhaps it's the part shown in this link (a few pics down):
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=193746

Can anyone confirm this? And if true whether I can source an appropriate mid-section from anywhere (not sure if available separately via BMW and at what £££)? Or whether I am better of taking the car to a decent exhaust fabricator and asking them to originate something?

Finally, seems that the replacement mid-section gets rid of the resonator (I think it's called) and is just a Y-shaped piece of pipe - will that create more noise / drone? I'm not keen to create a Max Power special, just want a more exotic but premium sound...

Here's a pic of what I have (rear exit pipe of the back box & clamp):

Name:  photo2.jpg
Views: 2296
Size:  113.9 KB

And what the under-side looks like:

Name:  photo1.jpg
Views: 1860
Size:  126.6 KB
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2012, 08:07 AM   #2
doughboy
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 Comp 6MT

Yes, the early E90 and E91 need a new mid section pipe too along with the silencer AFAIK.

see here; http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...97&hg=18&fg=95

From the home of realoem, if you select newer and older versions of the 33oi tourer, you can see the older exhaust mid/rear section is different, mainly because the newer models have secondary cats in the mid section, which flanges onto the last bit of pipe up to the rear silencer.

Last edited by doughboy; 09-21-2012 at 08:19 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2012, 08:56 AM   #3
Phil325i
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 325i MSport Coupe

Garage List
I think you've got the wrong part there buddy. If I were you, the first thing I would do is contact your nearest BMW parts dept and ask them to look up your car. They will be able to tell you:

(a) whether the back box you have is the right one and
(b) whether the centre section replacement is applicable to your vehicle.

Generally the centre section replacement only seems to apply in overseas markets (outside Europe).
E92 pre-LCI 325i - Ohlins R&T; H&R spacers; M3 strut brace; Swift thrust sheets; 3 x chassis braces; diff brace; N53 V-brace; 034 subframe inserts; BMS clutch stop; BMS CDV; RE g/box mounts; Delrin shift bushes; Saikoumichi OCC; Cyba scoops; BMW Perf Exhaust; HEL s/steel brake hoses; M3 rear spoiler; Recaro Sportster CSs; M3 white dash LEDs; LED Angels; LED side repeaters; BMW Perf black grille; CSL reps; SSDD carbon diffuser; Monster Wrap black roof/clear front

Last edited by Phil325i; 09-21-2012 at 05:04 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2012, 11:01 AM   #4
jester77
Private First Class
Rep

Thanks for the replies - much appreciated.

Well, I think it is the right part (18 10 2 208 788 ). That tallies with the realoem link that doughboy kindly sent through:

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...97&hg=18&fg=95

But presumably the centre silencer in the diagram (part no2) is different to what I have?

So I need to either a) get that part (if possible, doesn't look like it has a separate part number), b) get my existing modified / welded, or c) have a part made up (not sure if that would be £££).

These things are never as easy as you imagine!
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2012, 03:32 PM   #5
acerboo
Brigadier General
England
Rep
Drives: e92 335d lci

if you look on your original pipe going in to the rear silencer there is a tiny dimple this indicates where the pipe has to be cut to fit the replacement, may be of some help to you
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2012, 10:47 AM   #6
jester77
Private First Class
Rep

Got this installed in the end by Solid Fabrications (http://solid-fabrications.co.uk), top guy well recommended.

However, a few miles into enjoying my new sounds with the windows wound down and the EML light comes on. Checked the probe on the right-hand rear pipe and all seems well. Car seems to be running fine too. I will take it into my local indie when I get a chance but just wondered if anyone knew anything it's likely to be.

Am thinking 02 / Lambda sensor issue or perhaps the ECU just needs reseting. Strange thing was that it didn't come on straightaway - came on just after topping up with some 95 RON fuel which was all I could find with the fuel range down to single-digit miles. I've checked the fuel cap is secure (as have heard this can set off the EML light also).

Thoughts welcome.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2012, 06:13 PM   #7
jester77
Private First Class
Rep

OK - all sorted. Seems the EML light was unrelated to the exhaust install - just coincidence. Cylinders 1-3 misfiring - coils diagnosed and replaced (4-6 also) with new spark plugs.

Incidentally, I have a Warranty Direct policy on the car and, good news, coils are covered. However, due to £50 excess, 30% parts contribution (age of car), and the fact that they won't cover cylinders 4-6 as not failed yet they will cover less than half of the £500 cost! I was thinking of cancelling before, but definitely now. I think only worth if you are expecting a big fail with a £1k+ bill...
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2016, 09:35 AM   #8
sleepysnake
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Dec 04 built 330i

Hi Jester,

I will be facing the same issue as you when my performance exhaust arrives in a few days.

My 330i was built in Jan 2005 a while before June 2006 when they changed the mid pipe from the factory.

I'm not sure how my local exhaust shop will be able to attach the backbox. It looks like welding it on might work.

Can you remember how your exhaust shop installed it?

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2016, 03:30 PM   #9
Phil325i
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 325i MSport Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepysnake View Post
I'm not sure how my local exhaust shop will be able to attach the backbox. It looks like welding it on might work.
If you're buying a genuine BMW PE, it will be supplied with the necessary clamps to attach it to the main exhaust. Your exhaust shop should cut the existing back box off and attach the new one with the clamps. Fitting instructions here:

BMW E9x Performance Muffler Install Instructions Compressed.pdf
E92 pre-LCI 325i - Ohlins R&T; H&R spacers; M3 strut brace; Swift thrust sheets; 3 x chassis braces; diff brace; N53 V-brace; 034 subframe inserts; BMS clutch stop; BMS CDV; RE g/box mounts; Delrin shift bushes; Saikoumichi OCC; Cyba scoops; BMW Perf Exhaust; HEL s/steel brake hoses; M3 rear spoiler; Recaro Sportster CSs; M3 white dash LEDs; LED Angels; LED side repeaters; BMW Perf black grille; CSL reps; SSDD carbon diffuser; Monster Wrap black roof/clear front
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2016, 03:49 PM   #10
sleepysnake
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Dec 04 built 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil325i View Post
If you're buying a genuine BMW PE, it will be supplied with the necessary clamps to attach it to the main exhaust. Your exhaust shop should cut the existing back box off and attach the new one with the clamps. Fitting instructions here:

Attachment 1454191
I believe I will encounter the same issue as Jester in this thread.

The E90 330is built before June 2006 have a different mid pipe to the later cars. This pipe is shaped so that there isn't a straight part of the pipe long enough for the clamp to connect the backbox and the mid pipe.

My supplier (Leebmann24) confirmed that I'm likely to have issues installing it with a VIN pre 06/2006 before seeking confirmation that I would like the order dispatched.

You may well be correct and there won't be any install issues. Hopefully that's the case!
Appreciate 0