E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Frustration with Oil cooler

07-30-2007, 04:38 PM   #1
Te-Kara
Addicted to Boost
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335i Sedan

Frustration with Oil cooler

Having owned the 335i for months I’ve found the car to be excellent in all aspects from handling, comfort and the ability to make other cars motionless when I ease into the throttle. The only problem is the heat I’m encountering on the gauge due to the scorching summer months and sprinted driving. With temperatures exceeding 260 during normal driving and even higher when feeling frisky, I decided to conduct a search on e90post for answers.

The conclusion was simple my car being an early production 335 AT/Step Sports Package was left out of the additional oil cooler. My solution was to contact my dealership and inform service and my sales associate of this issue. They explained to me we’ll look into the matter. I left satisfied believing that BMW would take care of me. I decided to contact BMW Canada (I’m Canadian) and speak with a representative and notify them of this too. To my surprise the process wasn’t as smoothly as I predicted. “BMW isn’t taking any measures to install any additional oil coolers on their vehicles” “You must take it up with your local retailer” The rep said. I was still left hopeful, I made additional calls and was told the same thing repeatedly.

Frustration began to take a hold of me during this process. Finally a call from my local retailer! The conversation left off with me the customer is being held liable for all the costs incurred to purchase and to install the oil cooler. He made it seem it was my fault for not having it installed, regardless of it over heating or not I have to pay for it and to have it installed.

I’m left feeling turned off by the dealership and BMW Canada. I’m open for suggestions. This has been an on going matter since June, I'm running out of patience...
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2007, 05:12 PM   #2
jon@themshop
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Te-Kara View Post
Having owned the 335i for months I’ve found the car to be excellent in all aspects from handling, comfort and the ability to make other cars motionless when I ease into the throttle. The only problem is the heat I’m encountering on the gauge due to the scorching summer months and sprinted driving. With temperatures exceeding 260 during normal driving and even higher when feeling frisky, I decided to conduct a search on e90post for answers.

The conclusion was simple my car being an early production 335 AT/Step Sports Package was left out of the additional oil cooler. My solution was to contact my dealership and inform service and my sales associate of this issue. They explained to me we’ll look into the matter. I left satisfied believing that BMW would take care of me. I decided to contact BMW Canada (I’m Canadian) and speak with a representative and notify them of this too. To my surprise the process wasn’t as smoothly as I predicted. “BMW isn’t taking any measures to install any additional oil coolers on their vehicles” “You must take it up with your local retailer” The rep said. I was still left hopeful, I made additional calls and was told the same thing repeatedly.

Frustration began to take a hold of me during this process. Finally a call from my local retailer! The conversation left off with me the customer is being held liable for all the costs incurred to purchase and to install the oil cooler. He made it seem it was my fault for not having it installed, regardless of it over heating or not I have to pay for it and to have it installed.

I’m left feeling turned off by the dealership and BMW Canada. I’m open for suggestions. This has been an on going matter since June, I'm running out of patience...
Sorry to hear about your issue. Seems like over here BMW NA is taking care of customers that didn't come with oil coolers on their sport package option. Did you tell BMW of Canada that BMW NA is paying for the oil cooler retrofit?

If this happened to me I would drive the car hard until it blows up and get a new engine under warranty. Hopefully the dealer will say that the oil temp got too high because it did not have an oil cooler. So BMW pays for a new engine and the labor because they didn't want to pay for an oil cooler. This will be their loss.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2007, 05:12 PM   #3
AR230WAKEBOARDER
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: MONTEGO BLUE 335I

That is a crappy way for BMW Canada to handle it. I made 1 call to BMW USA and had the cooler installed in less then 30 days. I drove my car without the oil cooler for 6 months, and now with it for a month. Night and day difference. I would pay for it out of pocket if need be if I were you or make them meet you in the middle.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2007, 05:22 PM   #4
RiXst3r
Rep
Drives: M235i

drive the shit out of it until it overheats, take it in and say "it overheated and went into limp mode"

They will install the oil cooler for free.

Worked for me!

My car stays in the 220-240 range all the time now
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2007, 05:52 PM   #5
achien
AC
Canada
Rep
Drives: E90 Post Members Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon@themshop View Post
Sorry to hear about your issue. Seems like over here BMW NA is taking care of customers that didn't come with oil coolers on their sport package option. Did you tell BMW of Canada that BMW NA is paying for the oil cooler retrofit?

If this happened to me I would drive the car hard until it blows up and get a new engine under warranty. Hopefully the dealer will say that the oil temp got too high because it did not have an oil cooler. So BMW pays for a new engine and the labor because they didn't want to pay for an oil cooler. This will be their loss.
+1, I think that's what happened to two (2) 335i here in Toronto. I was aware at least one of them had the engine and the two (2) turbos replaced.
      07-30-2007, 06:14 PM   #6
Nemesis335i
Rep
Drives: 335i

I too, have an early 335 auto/sport package car. I called my local dealer and told them it was getting very hot, close to limp mode. I got it installed two week later for free. The dealership gave me an x3 to drive while they had the car and they filed the warranty as good will. It was the third install they had done. Hope that helps and good luck.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2007, 10:48 PM   #7
DrDomer
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330ci ZHP, 1999 Miata

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon@themshop View Post

That wasn't true initially. Autobahn CC in Joliet paid to have 10 cars retrofitted... $6000. Was in October. Maybe different now.
      07-31-2007, 03:35 PM   #8
Te-Kara
Addicted to Boost
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335i Sedan

Thanks for the responses guys. I tryed calling BMW NA about this and they forwarded me to the BMW Canada office where I told them BMW NA has addressed the oil cooler situation. The response from BMW Canada rep was to take it up with the dealership. I'm going in a giant circle. I've honestly given up on this subject for now, hopefully they'll be a recall issued eventually.

Definitely thinking twice before purchasing a BMW ever again based on how I'm treated at the local dealership and BMW Canada.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2007, 02:24 PM   #9
ThomasMartin
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i Coupe

Stupid question how do you know if you have the extra oil cooler? Is there anyway you can tell?
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2007, 02:35 PM   #10
Bimmer335i
Major
Rep
Drives: 07 Sparkling Graphite 335i Sed

Look under your right/passenger front wheel well. If you see a "grill", looks sorta like a radiator, chrome or silver looking, then you have an oil cooler. If nothing's there, then you don't have the cooler.
      08-01-2007, 02:43 PM   #11
Simple1
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G05 X5 40i M Sport

You see I just got off the phone with a BMW NA rep and he told me no retrofit for the 335 sedans only for the coupes. So I ask all the people that got the retrofit are you coupes or sedans? to the OP I think that is the better question to ask so we can have some kind of proof for BMW NA & Canada. I'm really bummed about the news too.

F80 M3 Euro Delivered = Gone too Soon

e90 335i debadged = Gone but not forgotten
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2007, 02:49 PM   #12
Ruff Rider
"posting from my recliner"
United_States
Rep
Drives: twin turbo Prius

I have a sedan....got the oil cooler retro fit

Ping Golf Club demo tech
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2007, 02:49 PM   #13
jon@themshop
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simple1 View Post
You see I just got off the phone with a BMW NA rep and he told me no retrofit for the 335 sedans only for the coupes. So I ask all the people that got the retrofit are you coupes or sedans? to the OP I think that is the better question to ask so we can have some kind of proof for BMW NA & Canada. I'm really bummed about the news too.
Oh really? Looks like BMW NA will start buying engines now for owners that overheat them. Very sad.

I thought I read sedan owners getting them retrofitted?
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2007, 03:03 PM   #14
achien
AC
Canada
Rep
Drives: E90 Post Members Crazy

I have a sedan and I also have the oil-cooler installed in Germany.
      08-02-2007, 02:54 PM   #15
ThomasMartin
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer335i View Post
Look under your right/passenger front wheel well. If you see a "grill", looks sorta like a radiator, chrome or silver looking, then you have an oil cooler. If nothing's there, then you don't have the cooler.
Bottom of the car is all covered up and i cant see anything through the top, there is a lot of stuff there cant see near the wheel.

Now also thinking my car is right hand drive so which side would it be on?
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2007, 03:45 PM   #16
sambonator
Samtaro!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 F32 N55 Alpinweiß

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simple1 View Post
I got a retrofit oil cooler for free on my e90 sedan with sport pkg.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2007, 03:54 PM   #17
InterlagosRob
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d

I just had BMWNA call me back in 24 hours of my e-mail and advise me that once the parts are available at the dealership, I can schedule an appointment for my oil cooler install....E90!
-2005 M3 ZCP, Interlagos on black. Sold.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2007, 04:30 PM   #18
BzsBimmer
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 G80 FO M3, M3 & MY Tezzy's

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasMartin View Post
Bottom of the car is all covered up and i cant see anything through the top, there is a lot of stuff there cant see near the wheel.

Now also thinking my car is right hand drive so which side would it be on?
Turn your wheels so that the tires point toward the drivers side. Look behind the wheel well at the passenger side and you should see a vented cover. If not, you do not have it
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2007, 04:59 PM   #19
ThomasMartin
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BzsBimmer View Post
Turn your wheels so that the tires point toward the drivers side. Look behind the wheel well at the passenger side and you should see a vented cover. If not, you do not have it
Thanks just went down to check is this it?

If it is is doesnt work to well temp sitting on 240 with very normal driving no WOT and cold temp outside now 14 deg celcius im worried about summer here in south africa gets up to 30 deg celcius. i also have procede installed. Before procede the car only hit 240 once when driving very hard racing my friends RS4.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0