E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Is a SSK worth it?

10-18-2012, 10:34 AM   #1
D_o_S
LCI'd
Rep
Drives: 335i LCI

Is a SSK worth it?

Hi,

I'm contemplating the BMW SSK (again)...

I'm not quite sure it's worth it though (or any SSK for that matter), since I can shift the stocker faster than the revs manage to fall...

Like shifting at redline from 2->3 you have to wait till the revs reach like ~4000 for a perfect shift... I can shift the stocker between the gates and be ready to release the clutch while the revs are only at like ~5800.

So what is the point of a SSK? To quicken those "unexpected" downshifts you have to make while driving in the city? Or am I missing something? The travel on the stocker doesn't seem particularly long to me.

Does it lower lap times at all?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2012, 02:58 PM   #2
brusk
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_o_S View Post
Hi,

I'm contemplating the BMW SSK (again)...

I'm not quite sure it's worth it though (or any SSK for that matter), since I can shift the stocker faster than the revs manage to fall...

Like shifting at redline from 2->3 you have to wait till the revs reach like ~4000 for a perfect shift... I can shift the stocker between the gates and be ready to release the clutch while the revs are only at like ~5800.

So what is the point of a SSK? To quicken those "unexpected" downshifts you have to make while driving in the city? Or am I missing something? The travel on the stocker doesn't seem particularly long to me.

Does it lower lap times at all?

Thanks
I think you might be missing something. Nobody waits for RPM's to drop when you are shifting at redline (which is pointless there's no power on this engine at redline anyway). Get to the next gear and put the power back down as quickly and smoothly as best you can if you'r racing or in a hurry. When driving normal that would be ok to wait and try to make it smoother. It's more of a feel thing when you are constantly going through gears and sometimes nicer on street cars, several people drag racing don't like the SSK's on this platform.
      10-18-2012, 03:13 PM   #3
SfValley335i
Colonel
Afghanistan
Rep
Drives: Current:135i Sold:335i sedan

Clutch stop plus ssk is a must... shifting is much better, precise and like a sports car.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2012, 04:30 PM   #4
335xi Kevo
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by SfValley335i View Post
Clutch stop plus ssk is a must... shifting is much better, precise and like a sports car.
Nix the ssk. Clutch stop and CDV definitely, will feel like a whole new machine again
Procede 2.5, DCI, Forge DV, PWM, Scoops, KW V1, ETS 5" FMIC, VRSF Downpipes, M3 Skirts
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2012, 05:51 PM   #5
Chrisred
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 335xi coupe

I have mine for sale if u want. BMW performance shift lever.

I think it personally sucks lol. I missed lots of 1-->2 shifts. I had the UUC also. Sucked even more.
      10-18-2012, 06:19 PM   #6
cstavaru
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i M Sport Sedan 6MT

I couldn't live without the SSK. The car feels so much better in all conditions, especially in traffic (less shifting travel, you will move your arm less, you can shift with your wrist) and when driving it hard (quicker shifts).

But if you get it, do yourself a favor and get the correct version (which includes a new shifting arm besides the new lever), even if it's more expensive. Otherwise you will not be happy with the shifting effort and many other things.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2012, 06:42 PM   #7
bigdnno98
Real Car Enthusiast
Germany
Rep
Drives: 340xi

I also have the BMW Performance short shift lever and it also requires too much effort on the 1-2 shift. Never missed a shift till I put it on. Going back to stock. I hated the clutch stop too. I have 100 drag strip passes so I'm pretty experienced with shifting quickly. Oem was best for me but CDV is a must.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2012, 11:22 AM   #8
Transport3r
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 N55 E90

Made my own SSK using a BMW Performance lever.
I cut it open, removed the rubber bushing in it, made a threaded extension out of aluminum and threaded a custom shift knob on it.
Love the shifting action now, very crisp and all the 'rubberyness' is gone, since the rod is all metal now..

Appreciate 0
      10-20-2012, 02:07 AM   #9
TheJacka
Private
Rep
Drives: PilotLife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisred View Post
I have mine for sale if u want. BMW performance shift lever.

I think it personally sucks lol. I missed lots of 1-->2 shifts. I had the UUC also. Sucked even more.
Can you please elaborate more on your issues with the UUC kit..?
Since Rogue Engineering no longer sells a kit for our cars i'm thinking about the UUC.

I've driven the BMW OE 335 SSK but the shortened difference is barley adequate to be called a SSK. It's simply not aggressive enough of a change from stock.

- A.Mc

2016 BMW S1000RR - BrenTuning - Akrapovic - Attack - Rizoma - Graves
2009 E92 335I / 6MT
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2012, 08:44 AM   #10
3-Serious
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: AP e92 335i

I have the UUC and the DSSR I hate it! I'm finally changing it on Monday to the full BMW short throw shift kit with the stock selector rod. IMHO the DSSR isn't needed it doesn't help with slop as much as you would think. If you have slop buy a new stock rod and clips for 40 bucks instead. The UUC is so notchy and requires extra effort to get into gears. For me it takes so much effort to get into 2nd from 1st I find my self pulling the shifter right into the reverse gate due to the amount of force I must use. I'll let you know how the bmw ssk goes once installed.
      10-20-2012, 10:41 AM   #11
Transport3r
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickkg37s View Post
I have the UUC and the DSSR I hate it! I'm finally changing it on Monday to the full BMW short throw shift kit with the stock selector rod. IMHO the DSSR isn't needed it doesn't help with slop as much as you would think. If you have slop buy a new stock rod and clips for 40 bucks instead. The UUC is so notchy and requires extra effort to get into gears. For me it takes so much effort to get into 2nd from 1st I find my self pulling the shifter right into the reverse gate due to the amount of force I must use. I'll let you know how the bmw ssk goes once installed.
Something doesn't sound right. My shifter is significantly (2.5 inches) shorter than stock and i don't have to pull very hard to get in 2nd. How many miles do you have and have you changed the tranny fluid? Or do you think the DSSR is to blame?

Appreciate 0
      10-22-2012, 07:22 AM   #12
TheJacka
Private
Rep
Drives: PilotLife

Quote:
That sounds horrible. Did you install the kit yourself?

Does anyone else have this problem with the UUC kit?

2016 BMW S1000RR - BrenTuning - Akrapovic - Attack - Rizoma - Graves
2009 E92 335I / 6MT
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2012, 10:00 AM   #13
3-Serious
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transport3r View Post
Something doesn't sound right. My shifter is significantly (2.5 inches) shorter than stock and i don't have to pull very hard to get in 2nd. How many miles do you have and have you changed the tranny fluid? Or do you think the DSSR is to blame?
It was a notchy an uncomfortable. I have 47k on the car and just put in the bmw SSK the full one (not just the leaver) and its day and night. I even went back to the stock selector rod. It still takes some effort to go from 1st-2nd so I plan on a tyranny fluid flush and change at 50k, but over all I love the bmw PSK muchh better. To each its own though you maybe love he UUC feel I hated it.
      10-23-2012, 10:05 AM   #14
3-Serious
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJacka View Post
That sounds horrible. Did you install the kit yourself?

Does anyone else have this problem with the UUC kit?
I guess it depends I've heard of some people absolutely loving it and who swear by it. Me personally I had a bad experiance with it I even had just the STS for a year then put In the DSSR a month ago in hopes it would feel better, but was wrong.
      10-23-2012, 04:21 PM   #15
Transport3r
Major
Rep

Quote:
It was a notchy an uncomfortable. I have 47k on the car and just put in the bmw SSK the full one (not just the leaver) and its day and night. I even went back to the stock selector rod. It still takes some effort to go from 1st-2nd so I plan on a tyranny fluid flush and change at 50k, but over all I love the bmw PSK muchh better. To each its own though you maybe love he UUC feel I hated it.
The flush made a big difference for me, do it!
I don't have the UUC, I made my own SSK modifying the BMW performance Rod.
Maybe the DSSR is just not well engineered?

Appreciate 0
      10-23-2012, 06:19 PM   #16
kavadarci
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335xi

I have the UUC and didn't notice that much of a difference. On an X-drive is a bitch to install. In my opinion not worth it.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2012, 09:37 AM   #17
3-Serious
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transport3r View Post
The flush made a big difference for me, do it!
I don't have the UUC, I made my own SSK modifying the BMW performance Rod.
Maybe the DSSR is just not well engineered?
Nice and I will defiantly do the flush you got me excited to do it! Lol might do It before 50k. And I actually had to even modify the selector rod on my car as it would rub the carrier going into 1st and reverse. But even before it was sloppy I love the crisp feel the bmw one offers! Plus it comes with that sweet knob and suede boot.