E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > Buying and selling house advice

10-24-2012, 03:41 PM   #1
p1tse
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Need more space

Buying and selling house advice

We currently have ours for sale and accepted an offer on Monday.

As a vendor, what now after accepting offer.
Process, timing around next steps from estate agent and buyers?

Hopefully sold STC so we shall look for a new house and want to put us in best position.

What and when do I need to do next?
Mortgage in principle, solicitors etc.
      10-24-2012, 04:10 PM   #2
mowflow
Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: Golf 7R

Your solicitor and or financial advisor would be the best person to ask. That's who guided us through it when we moved last time.

I won't even try to answer as the system could be totally different here.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2012, 04:17 PM   #3
p1tse
Lieutenant
Rep

Not got a solicitor or financial advisor, who or where to decide
      10-24-2012, 07:07 PM   #4
briers
Ben
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Tesla p85d

Ask your ea for recommendations on local solicitors

Our ea recommended 2 great local ones to us and our buyers and it all went through in 5 weeks.

Go see your chosen mortgage provider ASAP and get a mortgage in principle. You need bills, last 3 months of payslips and all other paperwork for any loans or debt you have.

You can compare mortgages online if you don't know who you want to go with. Try to be level headed choosing a mortgage, think of the risks if the interest rate rises, think about setup or early repayment charges and calculate variable rate mortgages. The banks advisor will always advise on their products only which may be no good for you.

Again ea might have a decent financial advisor which would probably offer free advice as if you arrange a mortgage through them they get a commission.

Once you have the sol and mortgage in principle apply for your mortgage offer, that takes a long time.

Keep in touch with ea about buyers progress too, try to align your progress with theirs. You should be able to pick up if they are dragging their feet and you don't want to waste your cash especially at the local searches and environment report stage when you have to start shelling out more money.

My advice is keep on top of the solicitors, don't chase too often but try for weekly updates. Once you have instructed a solicitor and the mortgage application has been submitted start looking for a surveyor and I the meantime your ea should make sure all solicitors in the chain exchange details and send each other formal letters about the sale / purchase. Once they have all of those you should receive a sale questionnaire asking the most ridiculous questions along with what you are leaving as part of the sale.

After you send this back your mortgage application should be sent for consideration to hq and you can begin looking for a surveyor as part of your mortgage application. Just make sure the ea and sol are progressing as everything in their hands then

Get your removals quotes in advance too as it can all move very quickly towards the end

Last edited by briers; 10-24-2012 at 07:14 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2012, 01:38 AM   #5
gangzoom
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E90 335i M sport

Get a solicator ASAP and than get everything crossed...When I was selling my last house the deal nearly broke down at the 11th hour. It can take anywhere between a few weeks to months for completion. Selling houses is by far the most stressful thing I've been through....Good Luck :-)
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2012, 09:40 AM   #6
alzieboy
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E350 CDi Coupe

I used a solicitor recommended by Our EA, and to say they were unbelievably hopeless is a major understatement,to list all the total cock ups caused by them would drag this out far too much but it culminated in my Wife and myself being in a hotel for Four days in Norfolk while all our worldly goods were in the back of a removal van back in London. Only to be told at a later date the solicitors in question had on two separate occasions been threatened with prosecution and disbarring. So tread with caution and select your Solicitor carefully, try to get a number of recommendations.

GOOD LUCK with your housemove
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2012, 03:21 PM   #7
p1tse
Lieutenant
Rep

After 5 months on market offer came through which we accepted but the buyers pulled out within 48 hours!!!
      10-26-2012, 03:25 AM   #8
gangzoom
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E90 335i M sport

Stick with it someone will buy it!!
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2012, 03:41 AM   #9
creepy coupe
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW M340I G20

Garage List
2015 BMW 435d  [0.00]
2009 335i  [0.00]
Ask for fixed price conveyancing, otherwise things can get out of shape, if there's a hitch.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2012, 05:57 AM   #10
golfmck1980
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 320 msport

Mate took me 2.5 yrs to sell my house
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2012, 06:01 AM   #11
dobbo99
Major
Rep
Drives: E39 530 oldskool

i feel your pain, buying and selling is not an easy process.
why on earth you'd make and offer and then withdraw it is beyond me, surely if you dont want the house, you dont offer anything!???
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2012, 02:55 PM   #12
p1tse
Lieutenant
Rep

Annoying

Will be going on with different estate agent to see if they can do anything different
      10-29-2012, 05:20 AM   #13
Guvernator
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i SE Cabriolet

My house has been on the market for about 4 months and no sale yet. We have just switched estate agents to see if they can do any better. At the same time we have been looking for a new house on the popular websites and the same houses have been up for sale for months. Looks like the market is very stagnant, wouldn't want to be an estate agent right now.
Appreciate 0