E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Mr 5 Intake Installed

12-02-2012, 05:32 PM   #1
Bimmer Barney
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011.5 E90M ZCP

Mr 5 Intake Installed

I just completed my Mr 5 intake install. I used a 6" K&N cone and a K&N drop in panel filter and a crush proof 3" hose from McMaster. There are plenty of write ups, so I only intend to share my notes:

1. I tried to rotate the power steering reservoir and remount but the clearance just wasn't enough. I made a bracket and mounted.
2. There is a support brace under the power steering reservoir mount that needs to be removed so the hose can pass through. If you just drill out the spot welds it falls off. This will save you time, cut off wheels on your Dremel, and product a cleaner result.
3. Since road racers agree unanimously that the brake ducts are useless, I pirated mine to direct air to the cone filter. I removed the outside half and them made a cut on the remaining half just after it curves. Not sure if it makes a benefit, but I like the concept and the way it curves.
4. I used JBWeld to attach a piece of plastic in the inner fender well where the brake duct was exiting. I was worried about water and sort being flung directly onto the filter and also just dirtying up the inside of the bumper in general.
5. If you don't use the factory clip/spot for the brake boost tube, the good will close fine and this will eliminate any worry that the T junction is being stressed or pinched.

Total cost was about $135. I sold my DCI for $60, so not a bad investment. I went this route because I couldn't get over the thought of hot air intake. Yes the tests have been run, but I still always longed for a better solution, or at least conceptually this is better. I went for a test drive and the car feels the same as when I had the DCI. The engine bay is MUCH quieter.

Pics:

12-02-2012, 07:44 PM   #2
demontwinz
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i e92

i love it.

With the long pipe , does this make the turbo's work extra hard to get more air? The air will be very cold which is great. : )
      12-02-2012, 09:37 PM   #3
Eric335
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 SG 335i 6MT

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [7.66]
Thanks for the pictures and info.

Ive been wondering if a CAI type would be better than a DCI type for Florida because of crazy temps here....
      12-02-2012, 09:41 PM   #4
Gossypiboma
Major
Rep
Drives: 13' M3 6MT 18' M3 CS

I'm still very skeptical of this mod and I doubt that it actually gives any advantage at all. That long intake tube will make the motor work harder to breath, how much harder has yet to be determined. Just go try and breath through a garden hose yourself and see what happens, it called dead space. You physically cant do it.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2012, 10:04 PM   #5
Leekay07
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 08 335XI Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBoosting View Post
I'm still very skeptical of this mod and I doubt that it actually gives any advantage at all. That long intake tube will make the motor work harder to breath, how much harder has yet to be determined. Just go try and breath through a garden hose yourself and see what happens, it called dead space. You physically cant do it.
LOL your engine is not exhailing through the same pipe. So it has no bearing with this one. The issue I have is the water line.. This looks like a recipe for hydro lock.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2012, 10:06 PM   #6
stopper
Person of Interest
United_States
Rep
Drives: A petrol-engine motorcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBoosting
How many times does this need to come up in a Mr. 5 intake thread before it's laid to rest?

The Mr 5 intake provides an additional, secondary air intake path. The stock snorkel and panel filters are still there, doing what they've always done. The Mr 5 now adds an additional filtered air channel. By its very nature, this setup cannot be more restrictive than the oem setup.

The same concept applies to the question of hydrolock. If the additional Mr. 5 filter is completely blocked, the oem intake still has the oem kidney grill source.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2012, 10:12 PM   #7
Bimmer Barney
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leekay07
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBoosting View Post
LOL your engine is not exhailing through the same pipe. So it has no bearing with this one. The issue I have is the water line.. This looks like a recipe for hydro lock.
Impossible because both filter options are in place. If bottom got submerged, engine will ill from stock location. I test drive it up to 80 in hard rain today and bottom filter was fine.
      12-02-2012, 10:15 PM   #8
Bimmer Barney
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBoosting
Search the threads. Mr 5 did extensive testing. It works nominally better than a DCI, but more expensive and no sound improvement.
      12-02-2012, 10:18 PM   #9
mapleridge
Banned
Rep
Drives: E90 N52 AT

The dinan ram air draws from the same place and don't dinan products retain factory warranty? This is secondary proof but I would assume if it is as bad and "dangerous" as people think, Dinan wouldn't put it out and BMW wouldn't maintain warranty after using such a device.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2012, 10:29 PM   #10
neilvosko
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i e92 FBO

The real answer is logging iat with each. I did, and there is negligible difference. Not worth the hassle of cleaning stock and cone filter and is a pita to get to.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2012, 10:31 PM   #11
neilvosko
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Really these theoretical threads need to stop unless you have real data. Look how many peeps run dci at track.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2012, 10:36 PM   #12
neilvosko
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

You will miss your dci the first time you have to clean the cone filter.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2012, 10:42 PM   #13
Bimmer Barney
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilvosko
Really these theoretical threads need to stop unless you have real data. Look how many peeps run dci at track.
Really these posts need to stop without searching first. Mr5 tested, including iat's.

This was a thread I started to show a few pictures from my install. I stated why I wanted a Mr 5 over DCI, even said it was mostly in my head.

Quit being a troll in my thread. This was never a thread saying which was better. Some guys asked a few question, but nobody is debating which is better. Both work, it's proven. Mr 5 agrees, Terry agrees. Case closed, troll
      06-14-2014, 01:44 AM   #14
mythek
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i Coupe TIAG

i just made the same intake....is it absolutely necessary to remove front bumper in order to run the duct in the front like that? =\
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2014, 10:44 PM   #15
SaviorXi
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i xDrive coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mythek View Post
i just made the same intake....is it absolutely necessary to remove front bumper in order to run the duct in the front like that? =\
I did this mod and did not have to remove the front bumper. You do have to remove the front left wheel fender liner. Mine fits great, works great, and it looks almost factory. I actually used one of my BMS DCI filters and metal tube for the bumper intake and I dropped a K&N in my factory intake box. I had injen, BMS dci, and now this. This is by far the best. It looks less rice boy racer (injen) and has a more oem clean look than the two filters just sitting in the hot engine bay (BMS) with no heat shields. It basically adds another cool channel of air to the already good stock setup. I also have the intake scoops which may or may not help.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2014, 07:41 PM   #16
mythek
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i Coupe TIAG

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaviorXi View Post
I did this mod and did not have to remove the front bumper. You do have to remove the front left wheel fender liner. Mine fits great, works great, and it looks almost factory. I actually used one of my BMS DCI filters and metal tube for the bumper intake and I dropped a K&N in my factory intake box. I had injen, BMS dci, and now this. This is by far the best. It looks less rice boy racer (injen) and has a more oem clean look than the two filters just sitting in the hot engine bay (BMS) with no heat shields. It basically adds another cool channel of air to the already good stock setup. I also have the intake scoops which may or may not help.
thank you very much for the response. so you dont have to remove the fender, just the liner?
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2014, 08:09 PM   #17
AK 335i
Major
Rep
Drives: black 335i E90

So now you have a filter in the box and another filter at the end of the ducting ?
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2014, 08:19 PM   #18
SaviorXi
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i xDrive coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mythek View Post
thank you very much for the response. so you dont have to remove the fender, just the liner?
Correct. I did not remove the fender or bumper. I only removed the liner.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2014, 03:55 PM   #19
AlpineSwift
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335Xi Coupé

The major reason I don't run this intake over DCI's is for accessibility to the engine bay. Yes, it's lazy and it doesn't look as good, but if there's no massive difference in performance then I don't see the point in replacing the DCI's.
E92 '08 335Xi 6AT - Cobb AP3 Tuned by MAC Autosport, Original Prototype Xi DOCRace 6266 Single Turbo Swap, VRSF CP w/Synapse BOV, VRSF 7" FMIC, BMS Cowl, H&R Coilovers, Renn Motorsport RS-51's, Stoptech Stage 2 Slotted, xHP Stage 3, Earl's Racing Oil Cooler, Turner Boost Gauge, M3 Lip Spoiler.
Standing Mile Record Holder for Xi over a mile high: 168.2MPH @ 5512'; The Colorado Mile hosted by The US Mile.
Appreciate 0