E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Just Finished Installing JB Stage 2 on my 335xi, Very Nice!

Closed Thread

08-23-2007, 01:08 AM   #1
catdog
Banned
Rep
Drives: Porsche 997S

Just Finished Installing JB Stage 2 on my 335xi, Very Nice!

So i just finished installing the Juice Box Stage 2 which was relativley straighforward except i was interrupted in the middle and had to do some parts of the install after sun came down using handheld light...don't ask...

I am not sure how painfree/easy taking off/putting back on piggyback systems is, will hate to have to undo this, but here goes. By same token, props again to Mr. 5 for doing the testing/comparo.

After completing install, car started normally and nicely went for a drive going slowly until temp reached 160F but right away i could feel the engine responded more urgently to even light touch of the gas pedal. After the engine warmed up i floored it a little and OMG the turbos are actually noticeably more audible and the car just flies, it pulls linearly throughout the rev range and really makes the xi feel much more peppy. Drove it for 15 minutes then came home but so far am very very satifsfied, it is an amazing deal at $349 and will post some times when i get my gtech in the next 2 days but there is no doubt that the car has been transformed to a more serious machine that really leaves very little to be desired, it pulls with much more authority throughout the gears. 1st gear literally flew to redline, very noticeably faster. I am also happy to hear the turbos a bit more which i looooove.

I will post more tomorrow after the work commute, getting late now. If this is +40 whp i cannot imagine what the procede v2 must be like, so i am going to stick with this and maybe in a month or two after saving will get procede unless my power hunger is satiated by this. Gotta drive it more, it has made the car addicting actually.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2007, 08:39 AM   #2
Valentine
OK with taking handouts
Rep
Drives: 325i

Congrats man any further plans?
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2007, 08:55 AM   #3
DrDomer
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330ci ZHP, 1999 Miata

Quote:
Originally Posted by catdog View Post
So i just finished installing the Juice Box Stage 2 which was relativley straighforward except i was interrupted in the middle and had to do some parts of the install after sun came down using handheld light...don't ask...

I am not sure how painfree/easy taking off/putting back on piggyback systems is, will hate to have to undo this, but here goes. By same token, props again to Mr. 5 for doing the testing/comparo.

After completing install, car started normally and nicely went for a drive going slowly until temp reached 160F but right away i could feel the engine responded more urgently to even light touch of the gas pedal. After the engine warmed up i floored it a little and OMG the turbos are actually noticeably more audible and the car just flies, it pulls linearly throughout the rev range and really makes the xi feel much more peppy. Drove it for 15 minutes then came home but so far am very very satifsfied, it is an amazing deal at $349 and will post some times when i get my gtech in the next 2 days but there is no doubt that the car has been transformed to a more serious machine that really leaves very little to be desired, it pulls with much more authority throughout the gears. 1st gear literally flew to redline, very noticeably faster. I am also happy to hear the turbos a bit more which i looooove.

I will post more tomorrow after the work commute, getting late now. If this is +40 whp i cannot imagine what the procede v2 must be like, so i am going to stick with this and maybe in a month or two after saving will get procede unless my power hunger is satiated by this. Gotta drive it more, it has made the car addicting actually.

: bulge::b ulge:
      08-23-2007, 08:57 AM   #4
catdog
Banned
Rep

Ok, just drove it to work this morning and this thing has been transformed, it has torque all over the place and now revs to the redline with more alacrity. In fact, i am not sure more power is going to help, on a 2nd to 3rd gear shift at redline, i missed a shift because of the drivetrain lash by the torque, i just need to get used to it i guess. I honestly don't know how the rwd crew without lsd handles the increased torque with all of these piggybac systems.
At any rate the car is very nice very driveable but the temptation to goose it is always there. Great mod, very happy. Going to just drive it for a month or two and see if anymore power is needed or whether to hold it here. I am not sure the suspension setup etc. is geared up to handle 400hp ala v2, and this is in the dry. I think having too much power makes it annoying when in traffic. That said, the valet feature of the v2 maybe exactly what the dr ordered so that you can go back to stock when you ar in hooligan mode. That is a key feature.
That said, I endorse the JB Stage 2 wholeheartedly, it's a wonderful mod not to mention the price. I will post some numbers with the Gtech when i get it in and will update everyone on issues as they arise if any. So far no glitches, lights or any driveability problem except "power corrupts, absolute power ....."
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2007, 02:56 PM   #5
Carlito12
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 E92 335i 6MT TiAg

sounds like u r pretty happy.

congrats !

JB3 KW V2 i-Forged Senekas & ETC
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2007, 05:17 PM   #6
catdog
Banned
Rep

Just drove back from work and kept driving for another 30 mins going nowhere just can't get over the car's transformation and kind of lamenting the fact that i can't go back to stock...this is addicting. It is really nice, it's as though someone added a liter of displacement to a normally aspirated engine, tons of torque all over the place and yes very happy. Unfortunately the Gtech proc did not make it in today's mail to get numbers, maybe over the weekend. Regardless, Butt dyno is very very happy and so is check book.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2007, 05:26 PM   #7
Kbueno
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82

You got some huevos messin with a 50k car with the JB! I hope it works out, sounds too good to be true.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2007, 05:41 PM   #8
Mr. 5
Modder Raider
Scotland
Rep
Drives: M3

Garage List
2007 e90 335i  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by catdog View Post

I'm glad you like it. The one thing I really liked about the JB2 was the smoothness and the drivability. It drives the same way as stock but just faster (if that makes any sense).
I'm glad you appreciate my work because now you know what I needed to do to change the tuners around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335lvr View Post
You got some huevos messin with a 50k car with the JB! I hope it works out, sounds too good to be true.
There's one thing that I think the majority of people don't understand that make statements like this. Terry is a software engineer and not a high school drop out.

I'm not saying that he has tons of experience tuning cars, but I think of it like this:
I would feel comfortable purchasing a book shelf from a carpenter that bought his supplies from Home Depot even though other carpenters are complaining about how he didn't do it right since he didn't cut down a tree and starting from scratch.

Best 60-130-------------9.15 Seconds------------------WWW.MR5RACING.COM
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2007, 05:43 PM   #9
Beer Goggles
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i E92, 6MT, Sport

Quote:

I'm not sure why you think that the other ones do anything different. I'm guessing you're one of the "I don't know how anything works" so I'll follow the sheep people?

The principal of the JB and others isn't rocket science. Sans the Procede, who is a fixed tuning piggyback. They simply just trick a sensor. Lots of sensors just are voltage readings, and altering those readings is a simple way to adust what the car sees and does.

You do understand that your 335 will raise the boost to .8 bar just by going up a mountain right?

So if you're going to be a the guy who "says" good luck modding your car you should say it to procede, TT, and every other person who mods their car.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2007, 06:35 PM   #10
lawdude
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i ZPP ZSP TiAg MT

Maybe if you saw Terry's schematics.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-23-2007, 06:43 PM   #11
Kbueno
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beer Goggles View Post
I'm not sure why you think that the other ones do anything different. I'm guessing you're one of the "I don't know how anything works" so I'll follow the sheep people?

The principal of the JB and others isn't rocket science. Sans the Procede, who is a fixed tuning piggyback. They simply just trick a sensor. Lots of sensors just are voltage readings, and altering those readings is a simple way to adust what the car sees and does.

You do understand that your 335 will raise the boost to .8 bar just by going up a mountain right?

So if you're going to be a the guy who "says" good luck modding your car you should say it to procede, TT, and every other person who mods their car.
As the admin of this site stated: "a product is only as good as the person who backs it up." Furthermore, I do not profess to know much about tuning, but, from what I've read on this forum from others who do, I would be very cautious and skeptical about the JB.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2007, 06:49 PM   #12
catdog
Banned
Rep

Mr. 5 I agree with you and thanks, the other nay sayers i say whatever...at least he's not cranking the cost to $800 and sticking it in a bigger box and pretending it does something magic. It will do until procede v2 is out, debugged tested and available. Why don't you guys make fun of the TT while you're at it?
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2007, 06:55 PM   #13
silvrevo
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235v 6spd

Terry should just charge an extra grand for the juice box . That way all the people bytching that it is just toooooooooooo under price which means it has to be way way way not nearly as good as the Procede.

price point is all in your head. thinking cause its 3 times the price must mean its 3 times greater.

Terry needs to be let back in this forum. I do have my eye on the JB2.

has he had anyone go into limo mode or throw a cel?

Havnt heard of any,,,,,,,, Procede side????? huh
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2007, 07:32 PM   #14
catdog
Banned
Rep

Lawdude, i checked out the schematic you attached and it checks out, it should work, i am not sure why you think there is a problem with it. Rabbit poops, ball is kicked, candle is pushed and burns tread (i guess if poop is too big, then maybe candle will be pushed too far...), but should work out. Count me in you seem like a nice guy. How much? $349 or $1400?
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2007, 07:46 PM   #15
retrodrive
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

You are very brave my man. Considering who makes it, I hope your engine does not blow up.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2007, 08:27 PM   #16
sdiver68
Expert Road Racer
Rep
Drives: 07 335i e90, 09 335i e93

Quote:
Originally Posted by fox001 View Post
I don’t have a dog in this fight, but are these the people selling competing products?
Yes.

What Terry is doing is very simple and very basic and also as safe as any power mod can be, at least at the levels of boost he has so far.

However, if you want to test the boundaries of the stock turbos, then you need much fuller control over several variables ala Procede or Xede.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2007, 08:52 PM   #17
hool97
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawdude View Post
Maybe if you saw Terry's schematics.
Damn, I hope you have many miles of enjoyment.
Lex RX300
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2007, 10:52 AM   #18
catdog
Banned
Rep

Day 2, car is awesome, has very very nice push in the back in 2.5-5.5 k range that is intoxicating. Filled up with Shell V power 93 octane and seems to have snappier low-end throttle response but top end is a little blunted compared to last tank of gas Mobil 93. Noted a similar subtle difference in my previous cars esp. in M5.
Great driveability and wonderful mod all around; had brother drive it and he thinks it has pickup and in-gear acceleration similar to 997 now...will test both using GTech pro when the darn thing comes in the mail.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2007, 12:39 PM   #19
Beer Goggles
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i E92, 6MT, Sport

You guys are so silly with this. Those who "hate" JB1 and JB2 are obviously mad at the marketing strategy of the product.

And if you really, really want to test and tune, you should buy a piggyback that allows a tuner to adjust your individual car for it's conditions. I don't know if the procede allows you to have your car put on a dyno and tuned? If not it's not really as safe as it could be if you could have it tuned by a professional. I'm not saying that a "safe general tune" is bad, but it's far better to go have everything adjusted for your car specifically.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2007, 12:41 PM   #20
Driver72
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 335i - to new owners now.

Quote:
Agreed.
Especially coming from a guy who is NOT a tuner, but picked Shiv's brain about the original Xede and PROcede and how it worked.
Then proceeded to posted the formulas online. Then went to Radio Shack and bought a few resistors and so forth for $5 and made the "TerryTuner" which was changed to "Juice Box" on the market.
I personally am not into supporting "businesses" like that.

Modding a car is risky as it is, but if/when I do it I'll do it with someone or a company that has experience.
No homemade "jerry-rig" style electronic devices from novice non-professional "tuners" on my $50k car.
Like a cheap "knock off" pirated made goods from China, the JB is no different....I'd steer clear...even though the JB may make good power for the money.

Let's see if Terry will post (on another forum) his formulas and so forth.
He asked Shiv, Shiv honestly and politely gave out the info. Terry stabs him in back and posts it.
Now to be fair, Terry should post his OWN formulas and info on the JuiceBox.
Doubt he'll do that. And if he doesn't, that ladies and gentleman would be a fine example of hypocrisy, making him a hypocrit to boot.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2007, 12:54 PM   #21
A418t81
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Ever changing fleet

Garage List
2013 335is  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver72 View Post
Agreed.
Especially coming from a guy who is NOT a tuner, but picked Shiv's brain about the original Xede and PROcede and how it worked.
Then proceeded to posted the formulas online. Then went to Radio Shack and bought a few resistors and so forth for $5 and made the "TerryTuner" which was changed to "Juice Box" on the market.
I personally am not into supporting "businesses" like that.

Modding a car is risky as it is, but if/when I do it I'll do it with someone or a company that has experience.
No homemade "jerry-rig" style electronic devices from novice non-professional "tuners" on my $50k car.
Like a cheap "knock off" pirated made goods from China, the JB is no different....I'd steer clear...even though the JB may make good power for the money.

Let's see if Terry will post (on another forum) his formulas and so forth.
He asked Shiv, Shiv honestly and politely gave out the info. Terry stabs him in back and posts it.
Now to be fair, Terry should post his OWN formulas and info on the JuiceBox.
Doubt he'll do that. And if he doesn't, that ladies and gentleman would be a fine example of hypocrisy, making him a hypocrit to boot.
Honestly man, what in the heck are you talking about? Formulas? You really think Shiv cast pearls down to Terry that he didn't already know? Terry is a software engineer, with an actual degree, you know. Also, the only difference between a lot of "non-professional" and "professional" tuners I've run across is that one charges a lot more $$ than the other.
      08-24-2007, 01:15 PM   #22
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Lot

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by A418t81 View Post
Honestly man, what in the heck are you talking about? Formulas? You really think Shiv cast pearls down to Terry that he didn't already know? Terry is a software engineer, with an actual degree, you know. Also, the only difference between a lot of "non-professional" and "professional" tuners I've run across is that one charges a lot more $$ than the other.
IIRC, Terry authoritatively stated that maximum fuel consumption occurs at peak torque until he was notified otherwise. This is just one example and occurred just a few months ago. Now he sells the same resistor set-up that I once suggested as a joke. The guy really knows next to nothing about tuning cars. As evident by selling a product that runs ~11psi of boost with no ignition retard. Heck, just look at his posts from back when he was allowed on this forum and see for yourself. Or more importantly, see how his opinions and statements have changed in the last few months. The good news is that he is on the steep portion of the learning curve. The bad news is that most other novice tuners use this time to experiment with their own cars, not those belonging to others. But I suppose that is what the LLC is for.

shiv
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread